Twin Training in DelMarVa

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Each summer I try to do something new. I think it is time for getting the MEL.

Where I rent, there is a single Seminole. While the plane is fine, getting the rating there is not the best idea for me for two reasons: 1) that's the only twin they have, and 2) it is only available for training. So, once I got the MEL, that'd be it!

Any suggestions in an 80-mile radius of Baltimore?

Although it pains me to suggest the competing flight school next door (well okay, they don't compete in the multi world), Trident at Bay Bridge W29 has a Duchess. I don't know much about twins, but I think it's pretty similar to the Seminole. And I'm about 90% sure I saw a guy coming back from a trip in it with his family. I could be making that up...though I'm pretty sure they don't restrict it to instruction.

As far as the airport itself goes, it's fantastic--the location on Kent Island is great, and you can't get much more beautiful flying than over the Eastern Shore. Also no SFRA to deal with--we're about 4 miles out of its grasp.

Also, if you go there, make sure to grab a bite to eat at Capriotti's down Rt. 50. The Capastrami is fantastic. Or apparently the BP next door has nearly gourmet sandwiches, but I've never tried it.

http://www.tridentaircraft.com/trident-bay-bridge.php

W29 is where I took my first ever flight where I was at the controls. It's a beautiful airport to fly out of.

Ben, just buy an old twinkie, on credit. Fly it for 40 hours and sell it. They're worth so little, it'll be like a third car. Just make sure the gear has been well maintained (bungees). Without the rear seats in, you can get a large stringed instrument in the back....

Ben, just buy an old twinkie, on credit. Fly it for 40 hours and sell it. They're worth so little, it'll be like a third car. Just make sure the gear has been well maintained (bungees). Without the rear seats in, you can get a large stringed instrument in the back....
And Twinkies are FAST

They sold the Seneca at Salisbury years ago, and there's nothing at Ocean City, Easton, Cambridge, Laurel, or Georgetown. ATP has an operation at Wilmington (just barely Delmarva) with Seminoles, and I Delaware Aviation Center there has a Seneca. I think that limits you to Trident and Wilmington DE on the Delmarva peninsula.

BTW, Lee Airport is in Annapolis, and that's on the other side of the Bay.

Oh -- you meant 80-mile radius of Baltimore, not Delmarva. That encompasses a lot of other ground. Smoketown PA is within that circle, and they do ME training in a Cougar. I'm guessing there are several in Northern VA, too.

Last edited:
I don't have anything to add to this thread, however I keep seeing references to a plane some folks like to call a "twinkie". What is that? :D

I know you can rent them at Aviation Adventures at Leesburg or Manassas if you're up for a long drive. They have at least a Grumman Cougar, a DA42 ($$$), and a pair of Twin Commanches available for solo rental if qualified.

Just schedule one of your instruction sessions as a cross-country. You'll quickly see why they are essentially worthless for such use and happily return to whatever single you've been flying.

Just schedule one of your instruction sessions as a cross-country. You'll quickly see why they are essentially worthless for such use and happily return to whatever single you've been flying.
You talking about twins in general?

I would not agree. I just got checked out in a local Duchess rental this weekend because it is the only aircraft available nearby that can haul my family and our gear around. Everything else is 4 seat single engine trainers (172/PA28).

Back in CA I rented the Duchess for many x-country trips because it was the same rate as the six-seaters (210 and PA32) that we had in the club.

I'm the Chief Instructor of the Washington Int. Flight Academy in Gaithersburg (KGAI).

We have a Seminole that you can train in AND rent afterwards if you like.

www.learntoflydc.com

(I havent updated the home page in a while, rest assured we have graduated more students since Jan 1st!)

They sold the Seneca at Salisbury years ago, and there's nothing at Ocean City, Easton, Cambridge, Laurel, or Georgetown. ATP has an operation at Wilmington (just barely Delmarva) with Seminoles, and I Delaware Aviation Center there has a Seneca. I think that limits you to Trident and Wilmington DE on the Delmarva peninsula.

BTW, Lee Airport is in Annapolis, and that's on the other side of the Bay.

Oh -- you meant 80-mile radius of Baltimore, not Delmarva. That encompasses a lot of other ground. Smoketown PA is within that circle, and they do ME training in a Cougar. I'm guessing there are several in Northern VA, too.

They no longer have the Cougar. They will sometimes use an Aztec, but it is usually used for training 135 pilots now. Maybe I should put my Twinkie on leaseback.

That's a real thought!

I'm the Chief Instructor of the Washington Int. Flight Academy in Gaithersburg (KGAI).

www.learntoflydc.com

(I havent updated the home page in a while, rest assured we have graduated more students since Jan 1st!)

Thanks for this. You are not far from where I live, at all!

www.learntoflydc.com

Are your rates hobbs time or tach time?

An extended family member who has owned everything from a king air 200 to a cessna 170 recently told me that he wants another twinkie. As far as acquisition/maintenance/fuel burn/speed, its the best deal out there. He does not want a single because he had to put a bonanza down on a road once.

Last edited:

That is, if you can fit it in the door!

The rates are per Hobbs time, they are wet and unlike some of our local competitors... we do NOT charge a "fuel surcharge" on top of the posted hourly rate.

That's pretty good!

Ben, are you thinking of putting a six seater (like a Seneca) on the flightline?

I really would love to be able to rent six seats. The place where I fly now has a Lance, but the panel is ca. Barry Manilow. (They have two awesome SR20s, which I fly and love, though.)

You talking about twins in general?

I would not agree. I just got checked out in a local Duchess rental this weekend because it is the only aircraft available nearby that can haul my family and our gear around. Everything else is 4 seat single engine trainers (172/PA28).

Back in CA I rented the Duchess for many x-country trips because it was the same rate as the six-seaters (210 and PA32) that we had in the club.

I think that was reference to Steves Apache. They tend to fly slower than an out of rig Arrow on twice the fuel about 15-16 gph. Great for logging time especially if they have the 150hp mogas stc's. But not terrific travel speed demons.

Where as the Twinkies has two Cherokee engines burning the same fuel and 166 knots.

Ben, are you thinking of putting a six seater (like a Seneca) on the flightline?

I really would love to be able to rent six seats. The place where I fly now has a Lance, but the panel is ca. Barry Manilow. (They have two awesome SR20s, which I fly and love, though.)

Its hard to justify a Six Seater signle engine let alone a twin engine like an Aztec or Seneca.

I keep pushing for a cherokee six but the owners keep putting the kybosh on the idea.

We will be adding one or two SR-20s to the line by April.

I think that was reference to Steves Apache. They tend to fly slower than an out of rig Arrow on twice the fuel about 15-16 gph. Great for logging time especially if they have the 150hp mogas stc's. But not terrific travel speed demons.

Where as the Twinkies has two Cherokee engines burning the same fuel and 166 knots.

:rofl:

Its hard to justify a Six Seater signle engine let alone a twin engine like an Aztec or Seneca.

I keep pushing for a cherokee six but the owners keep putting the kybosh on the idea.

We will be adding one or two SR-20s to the line by April.

I'll be watching for them!

Back