Twin nose gear fail landing at Van Nuys

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I dunno how old this is but it's several weeks.

From CNN. Good commentary by, I'll bet, Miles O'Brien.

Terrific job in managing it....

But man! Don't kill the engines and bump the props flat. Ya gonna die dat way!

One was discussed at Oshkosh where the guy in a single landed flat in the weeds and broke his back.

I hope he had a passenger doing that, with the props.

And as it turns out, I think it was an exercise in futility. If I recall correctly, if the props touch, it is a mandatory tear down, even if they were not under power. Two engine teardowns may mean the plane is totaled anyway.

Just not worth the risk.

very busy with those props at the end, but still a great job.

Hold it off, hold it off, hold it off.

Okay - everybody jump in the back of the plane!!! :)

Would have been epic if the nosegear clicked into place.

I immediately thought of this one!

Porpoise... 1...2..3..4.5.6.7.8.9.SNAP!

Last edited:
Doing the feather and bump the props idea turned out to do him no good, but it looked like he did strike the tail, probably because he was busy futzing with the props. Sigh...

A quick look at the DJIA quote at the beginning of around 8500 indicates it was a few years ago... or tomorrow. ;)

How long is that runway? He barely made it to the threshold before he slid to a stop.

On my way back from Oshkosh I stopped at Denver Centennial (KAPA) and there was a DA-42 in the pattern with gear problems. Shortly after I landed they bellied it. I can't begin to comprehend how much the composite work and two engine and gearbox teardowns will cost. I'm guessing the plane is 'totaled'.

On my way back from Oshkosh I stopped at Denver Centennial (KAPA) and there was a DA-42 in the pattern with gear problems. Shortly after I landed they bellied it. I can't begin to comprehend how much the composite work and two engine and gearbox teardowns will cost. I'm guessing the plane is 'totaled'.

Haven't seen it lately. It sat for years with the engine problems then flew, then someone broke it again, then flew, now they've bellied it. That thing is cursed. It's spent most of its life on the ground.

Back