Twin Navion

There is one sitting on the ramp at 22N, don't know if its for sale or abandoned.

Wouldn't the engines alone be worth the asking price?
It's also funny that they have it listed under the "ATV's, UTV's, Snowmobiles" category. Not exactly the category I'd look at for an airplane.

Wouldn't the engines alone be worth the asking price?
It's also funny that they have it listed under the "ATV's, UTV's, Snowmobiles" category. Not exactly the category I'd look at for an airplane.

Lol, yeah, normally I just do a wide-open search for "airplane" or "aircraft" just to amuse myself. It comes up with a lot of other items (usually somebody claiming aircraft-grade aluminum), but you avoid trying to figure out which category someone decided to put the ad into.

C'mon send the money, what could go wrong!

322FC8B700000578-3491817-image-m-2_1458032648171.jpg

2000 and its a deal. LOL Only 20K in A&P time to put it back together

It's not a twin, it's a dual engine......

And for that price I would keep the trailer, part out what I could and scrap the rest.

Well you then have a light twin for $22K, probably not a bad endeavor if that were true and it were all done correctly!

Considering how little money that an old 310 or Aztec goes for, you could find a flyable one of those for what you'd have in this device. Plus, with a six cylinder engine at each elbow, you'd have a good shot at staying aloft if one of them quits, unlike this one and the 0-320s it possesses.

There are actually two different twin Navion designs, the Rileys and the CamAir. The ANS now owns the type certificate on the former. I know they owner of the CamAir certificate.

All twin Navions, in fact, are conversions. They started out as single Navions. There's a picture floating around with a Navion with three engines on it, but that was one in mid-conversion that they hadn't removed the nose engine. In fact, these were done initially on one-page conversion instructions which is rumored to why the CAA started the STC process.

Both the one in the advertisement (can't tell other than the picture as it shows only the Navion fuselage which is common, but it says in the description) and the one in overdrive's post are Rileys. You can tell in the second picture that it's a Riley because the vertical stabilizer (which has to be bigger to handle the asymmetrical torque in engine-out operation) is, in fact, another Navion horizontal stabilizer turned vertically. The CamAir took the original Navion trapezoidal vertical fin and just scaled it up in size. The CamAirs also had larger engines which had more bulbous nacelles.

This one is obviously a CamAir (notwithstanding the writing on the tip tanks).

132.jpg

Cool, be bad to cruise around in a Navion with 3 motors!

I guess I was wrong. While the photo I was thinking about (it has Christmas lights on the props as well) was an "in conversion" one. There is the Hallair 510 which indeed was a trimotor conversion (following the general D-16 design from the looks of it).

I got my commercial twin rating in one. Who can say that? It had the 150hp lyc in it and my instructor had a 150hp piper and he said the Navion did better on one engine, still not good. If you lost the right engine before getting the gear up you were screwed. The right engine had the hyd pump so you were down to the hand pump, I doubt you could get it up using the hand pump.

The manual actually advises against trying to raise the gear with the hand pump, but you can do it. We've done it to swing the gear at annual when we didn't have a mule handy. The hand pump actually works pretty well. Still not something you want to be doing while trying to climb out one a single engine. Actually, the Navion flies pretty reasonably with the gear down, I'd just leave it.

Back