Twin flight to Mountain Home

Tristar

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Tristar
I don't believe there is anything better yet so simple as the smell of a brand new sectional. As soon as you open it, it's like a Christmas present revealing airports of every size in every direction, each one with it's own adventure and character.

I was in charge of picking an airport for a 4 hour total trip in our Beech Duchess. It's a wonderful twin trainer that tends to take the best of us and keep going. I decided that today, my instructor and I would take it on a calm evening flight to Mountain Home, AR. I remember really loving the scenery from Gastons last year. So after some simple flight planning (KPBK is practically a straight shot) we jumped in the plane and headed out.

Reaching a comfortable 90 knots on climb out, the flight to Tulsa was nothing I hadn't seen before; aim for the lake then aim for the city. So I sat back and enjoyed the weather. It was beautiful; clear skies, light winds, and nothing but contrails from those before me. I really enjoyed flying by the city, the only high rise buildings we have in Stillwater is the University so it was neat to see the ground with more of a 3-D effect.

The rest of the flight was made via Razerback, Harrison, and Flippin VORs. IFR (I follow roads) came into use en route to Razerback, after that I employed one of the most useful tools, passes the time, and also fun challenges of flying; picking out cities and landmarks. You would think it would be a little bit of a challenge in between Razerback and Mountain Home but the cities are really easy to spot all containing airports along the way.

We arrived around dusk with a little bit of haze just settling on the hilltops. Deciding to do an ILS approach into runway 5, I aimed for the famous Flippin VOR and was very proud of my aircraft/engine management and localizer/glide slope intercept and track. My CFI complimented me "babying" the airplane. BTW, I did look for gastons, I believe I saw it but was unable to confirm because of my concentration on the ILS. I landed the twin just as easily as any cessna I had before, it had become natural. The airport seemed pretty empty except for a few cessnas and a king air sleeping on the ramp. Everyone had gone home for the night by the time we decided to give it a little action.

I pointed out the self serve by the round-about taxiway and pulled it into place. I laughed as my CFI comes back, "taxing like a pro now eh?" You bet! We topped off to 80 gal total, checked the oil, and made a good walk around the airplane before jumping back in. By this time it was dark.

Dim soothing lights illuminated the cockpit as I commenced a run up of the wind creators outside both windows. They both acted perfectly in tune with standards, no complaints, lets go. I lined up and asked her for full throttle, from there its a simple task of waiting until she is ready to fly. Airplanes are wonderful things that way, they'll tell you what they want, you just have to take the time to listen. The duchess seemed very happy as we began our way back. All the gauges were happily centered in the green, the props were synced, and the airplane seemed to sit effortlessly in the cool evening air. In between the radio changes from Memphis center and Razerback, I was entertained with stories of DC-3 flights from my CFI. He only teaches part time now in cessnas and the duchess but I believe he really misses that old airplane from his younger days.

After passing the Razerback area, the night was clear enough to see Tulsa in the distance. It seemed to light up the night sky almost like its own sunset. It was fun to listen to the airliners as I was passed off to Tulsa Approach. Out of all the professionalism and pressed white shirts, they are still always willing to ask questions. It's something that is good to note and pass on to the younger generation who may be timid about asking something they are unsure of. Before watching the MD-80 pass underneath my wings, the glow of the once again 3-D buildings seemed to give the city the needed dimension of personality even as it slept. The lakes to the west of the city disappeared in the darkness of night which gave an eerie sense of emptiness as we flew over the top.

Stillwater was just visible in the distance. You can usually tell the difference between it and the surrounding cities by the way it looks. The lights are in a row a few miles long but with no depth, almost like a string of orange Christmas lights while surrounding cities are more of a definable clump. It's sort of interesting when approaching it in search of the airport. There are so many blinking lights in the same general area, you have to pay attention to which one is green along with white. Once you do, it's home free. Although tonight wouldn't be a straight in, an engine out ILS was in order for some good practice. The 5 T's are great for keeping a good approach in check as I turned outbound from "Blaki," our NDB. On procedure turn inbound, my left engine was taken from me. Almost in instinct, I reacted with the "Identify, verify, and feather" as I had practiced countless times. I have to admit that although its tricky to keep rudder pressure in while managing engines and following a glideslope, engine out procedures have been the lesson objective I always look forward to. I'm not sure if it was the single-engine pilot aspect of seeing a shut down engine in flight or just the pure entertainment by learning something different. I came in and placed the duchess gently on the runway, no different than I had done at Mountain Home with both engines.

As I climbed out of the cockpit with all my gear, I couldn't believe how easy the flight was. My instructor didn't do anything the whole time airplane or navigation wise other than change frequencies when I just appreciated the extra hand. I really feel I have a good understanding of my training and how to treat the airplane. Despite a few bumps along the way, I really enjoyed the Multi rating. Tonight's flight was very enjoyable, relaxing, and confirmed some things I already knew.

My Checkride is Thursday

Last edited:
Despite a few bumps along the way, I really enjoyed the Multi rating. Tonight's flight was very enjoyable, relaxing, and confirmed some things I already knew.
Wow, Tristan, what a wonderful description of your flight. Thank you for posting this. :)

My Checkride is Thursday
Good luck on your checkride...let us know how it goes. :)

That was an excellent write-up, Tristan, thanks for sharing it! I really can't wait to get to my multi rating.

Night XCs, especially in twins, are just spectacular. There's nothing like it.

Good luck on your checkride! :)

It's nice to hear how much you're enjoying things. Good luck on the check ride; we all know you'll do well with all you put into things. Looking forward to seeing you at Gastons!

Best,

Dave

Tristan, let me get this straight. Are you training to be a writer or a AMEL pilot? Great piece.

You sound very well prepared for your checkride. Have fun.

Great writeup Tristan. Thanks for sharing it!!! Best of luck on your checkride - you'll do great!

Sounds like a great trip, Tristan. I'm jealous. Thanks for sharing it with us. It felt like I was in the back seat watching the whole thing happen.

Tristan is the next great writer/pilot. I think you should start submitting articles for publishing.

RE: The Checkride...good luck, we're all counting on you.

Tristan, it's just so great watching your progress and the changes you've gone through! :) Makes me smile! :) :)

Great write-up of the flight - how come y'all didn't come on over to RDU? I'd have gone with ya to Mountain Home! I have an ex-wife that lives there! :eek:

:D

Tristan is the next great writer/pilot. I think you should start submitting articles for publishing.

RE: The Checkride...good luck, we're all counting on you.
Haha actually I've had two articles published a few years ago!

That was an excellent write-up, Tristan, thanks for sharing it! I really can't wait to get to my multi rating.

Night XCs, especially in twins, are just spectacular. There's nothing like it.

Good luck on your checkride! :)
Night XCs are a great challenge in themselves. I really believe it's a needed transition from the VFR to the IFR world. You can still see cities on the ground for VFR but have lost other recognizable features such as rivers. In my experience, understanding and following your VORs becomes the natural tool to lean on. Our duchess doesn't have a GPS. I love flying over cities such as Tulsa and watching the airliner's come and go disappearing under my left engine. It makes me feel like I am one of them. I may not have the certificate from my college that says I'm a professional pilot yet, but I don't see why I can't start early.

Night XCs are a great challenge in themselves. I really believe it's a needed transition from the VFR to the IFR world. You can still see cities on the ground for VFR but have lost other recognizable features such as rivers. In my experience, understanding and following your VORs becomes the natural tool to lean on. Our duchess doesn't have a GPS. I love flying over cities such as Tulsa and watching the airliner's come and go disappearing under my left engine. It makes me feel like I am one of them. I may not have the certificate from my college that says I'm a professional pilot yet, but I don't see why I can't start early.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Absolutely. Night flying is a different world. Not quite day VFR, not quite IMC IFR. It's easy to lose your horizon if you're in a place with little to no lighting, and as such having a basic understanding of instrument flying helps. My instructor has said that in the past when he has been on night XCs to unfamiliar airports, he's just asked for vectors to the ILS because it's easier than straight VFR flight.

From my flight in the Aztec and then my night XC for my PPL I have memories of similar feelings and experiences to your write-up. Flying the Aztec from Maine I definitely felt like "one of them." Having the engines flanking me on either side with the engines roaring away, watching the towns pass me by, and seeing the occasional strobe light of another aircraft somewhere else in the sky. It was as if I could reach out and touch the heavens because I was flying through them, with a view of the stars like none I have had before or since. Conditions were clear and a million, with no moon out, pitch black.

Since that night, whenever the sky is clear at night I look up at the sky longingly, wishing that I was back there. When I see the planes going by I always wonder who they are and where they're going, and wonder who saw that Aztec I was piloting some months back wondering the same.

Twins and night XCs are two of my favorite parts of flying. Put the two together and there is simply nothing like it.

Tristan de Saint-Exupery! Great, poetic writing, and a wonderful flight! Ken, you're going to have to add her to your stable of writers!

Tristan, great job and great writeup! It was almost like I was reading a piece by Lane Wallace! You did a great job of conveying the romance of flight. Good luck on the checkride!

Look out Ken Ibold, she will have your job if you are not careful.

Best of luck on the check ride.

Tristan, great job and great writeup! It was almost like I was reading a piece by Lane Wallace! You did a great job of conveying the romance of flight. Good luck on the checkride!
You know, Lane came to mind too, except I don't think she writes quite as well as Tristan. They can both really convey their love of flying, though!:yes:

I think it would be pretty neat to have your own page in a flying magazine! It would "require" lots of adventures! ;) I do wonder how magazines choose authors for monthly columns. Flying seems to have the same ones each month. AOPA's Flight Training tends to mix it up between stories in the community and keeping the same authors.

Sounds like a freaking blast, Tristan, and it really seems to boil the aviation blood in my veins, making me want to get out and fly a bunch now!

Nice going! I'd ask for pictres but that would ruin it.

I submit that this post is proof that rhymes are not a requirement for writing to be considered poetry.

Thank you, Tristan... that was beautiful.

It is so fun to watch you move up. I remember a small shy girl from FL that worried about x-countries. :) YOU GO GIRL!

Can this be the same Tristan who was worried about passing her first checkride? Seems like, in addition to being able to express the strong emotions your flight evoked, you also were exuding a wonderful sense of confidence in your flying. IOW, "You've come a long way baby!" (pardon the potentially derogatory connotation of "baby", it just goes with the rest of the phrase).

Nice job on the flight and the write up.

Here is a picture I took from a disposable camera I had with me. Excuse the quality. (Danos, don't look!) The lake you see is Bull Shoals.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 37
It's mostly foothills. The higher ones were on the other side.

Tris,

AWESOME write-up! I felt like I was right there in the back seat. Wish I had been for real, sounds like a great flight! :yes:

Good luck, Tristan! It was good to meet you at Gaston's last year. That was the last long flight with the mighty Apache before my, ahem, problem. Twin flying is great...but expensive!
ApacheBob

Back