Twin down near KDTO

Yeti Niner Five

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Yeti Niner Five
Don't know how to post the link, but you can find it quickly with a Google search. Anyone have any insight? It was certainly IMC last night. Pictures don't show an obvious fire.

That looks generally survivable...I wonder what killed him? No shoulder belt maybe?

Looking on google maps and the approach chart it looks like he went down established on the RNAV36 just a few miles before the FAF. :confused:

An looking at the pictures I dont see a trail behind the plane, almost like the impact was straight down like a belly flop? :confused:

An looking at the pictures I dont see a trail behind the plane, almost like the impact was straight down like a belly flop? :confused:
I think in another thread, someone posted an ATC exchange where tower noted he was low on the approach and he responded that he was correcting. He may very well have lost track of his airspeed and attempted to correct with pitch alone - stall, spin, pancake.

I think in another thread, someone posted an ATC exchange where tower noted he was low on the approach and he responded that he was correcting. He may very well have lost track of his airspeed and attempted to correct with pitch alone - stall, spin, pancake.

Could have been, when looking at the bing birds eye view of the buildings in the picture, the plane is pointed west 90 degrees from the approach....still sucks, cause I can see how easily this could happen after the third strike...:confused:

Sounds like he may have been new to the aircraft - N441TG changed registration mid-January.

That aircraft pancaked hard looking at the pictures...many G's more than the body can take...sucks bad.

The 441 is generally a very good plane. This was a night approach in IMC single pilot to near mins. GPS36 I think is down to 300, and METARS were reporting variable between 500 and 1000. That generally tells me that it could very well be below mins or at it.

This is why night, IMC, single pilot is considered to be elevated risk.

Bill was one of my old customers he was a great guy. He owned at least 3 PA46 aircraft over the years. I just talked with him about 3 weeks ago. He would show up at KHUT with his Mirage packed full of papers and files. I'm getting tired of seeing these people die.

Folks with deep recreational pockets would be well served by spending some time establishing solid mentor relationships with professional pilots as they negotiate these highly capable airplanes. I know if I was a deep-pocket non-pro, I would want to in order to have repeatably safe outcomes.

Condolences to the family.

Yep, that's a mistake, low means more power, not pitch.

It wasn't an easy night for a single pilot op, and he was new to the plane. Sad. :(

Single pilot Ops, especially IFR, IMO is the biggest difference in the safety record between airline and GA stats.

Agreed....

There is another person sitting there saying.....

" you are gonna do WHAT":hairraise::hairraise::hairraise::yikes:.....:no::nonod:

Back