Twin Comanche

The button on the front of the KI-266 selects between TTS (time to station) and GS on the right side of the display.

Typically if there are two nav radios there's a separate switch to select the channeling source on the panel somewhere but that's not always the case. Without such a switch only one nav radio would channel the DME. I believe (but don't know for certain) that the actual channeling source switching (several wires) is done in the remote DME box itself and the panel switch just drives an input on the box.

FWIW, the indicator could also be a KI-267 which is similar to the 266 except that it can display a VOR radial instead of the TTS available on the 266. And IIRC, the original indicator for the KN-65 was an electromechanical drum design.

Call me Mr. Anachronism, but I love the drum-style DME indicator - used to fly a club plane with that installed and fully-operational, and it was delightful to watch it as it chugged down distances or twiddled up and down displaying GS.

Since you appear to be easily entertained, the little wheel in Calhoun's B-90 spins continuously. I'll tell him to call you.

Call me Mr. Anachronism, but I love the drum-style DME indicator - used to fly a club plane with that installed and fully-operational, and it was delightful to watch it as it chugged down distances or twiddled up and down displaying GS.

Back