Twin Comanche down in FL

Re: Plane down near Sanford

http://www.wesh.com/news/13652167/detail.html

This is near my home field. Sounds terrible, usually one does not expect so much damage from a small plane crash. Pray for the injured, so far there are no deaths.

Sad... and stopped my heart when I read "Dr. Bruce..." :hairraise: Your brain just gets used to hearing that name in a different context.

Oh no that is just horrific. :( I pray all survive and are ok in the long run.

A 310 went down in Sanford as well. 2 on board killed and 3 badly burned on the ground. One on the ground was a 10 yr old with 80-90% of his body burned. Sad day.

Sad to say, they're are at least two deaths according to this report:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288784,00.html

They just had a press conference on TV... 5 deaths, 3 in the hospital. Three adults and 2 kids dead, three in the hospital including a young teen with 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body. :-(

If early reports of two on board are true, then we have 3 civilians dead and 3 in the hospital, and the on-scene investigator said finding more victims was "likely".

They just had a press conference on TV... 5 deaths, 3 in the hospital. Three adults and 2 kids dead, three in the hospital including a young teen with 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body. :-(

If early reports of two on board are true, then we have 3 civilians dead and 3 in the hospital, and the on-scene investigator said finding more victims was "likely".

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Imagine... smoke in the cockpit... doing your very very best and killing innocents on the ground anyway. Sad for us all, but as pilots it's particularly sad. We do our best every time and still, it's not enough.

Imagine... smoke in the cockpit... doing your very very best and killing innocents on the ground anyway. Sad for us all, but as pilots it's particularly sad. We do our best every time and still, it's not enough.

Amen JD, but we have to try, thats all we can do.
Dave G.:(

I hear you. They said that the pilots went over a nearby lake, then radioed in that "a crash is imminent". They knew it was going south. That's really sad and hard to imagine being in that kind of situation. I have to wonder, if I was in that position, and knew--KNEW--that I wasn't going to be able to get it on the ground or have control over how/when it happened, if I might instead set the autopilot and heading bug to take me out over the ocean or something... not second guessing these guys, at all--I wasn't in their shoes in what must have been a terrifying scenario. Just thinking through what other options I might have if I'm ever (god forbid) in a similar situation.

In that regard... smoke in the cockpit... in a twin. Likely to be electrical? I would imagine an engine fire in a twin with wing-mounted engines (unlike a Cessna 337 or Adams inline twin) would keep a fuel-fed fire, and it's smoke, out on the wings, at least initially. Unless you had a fuel-fired cabin heater. But that's not likely the cause in Florida, in the summer.

Their flight was to be short... down to Lakeland, about a 20-30 minute flight in that plane. Something went wrong in a hurry.

I hope the moderators understand these are two separate accidents, a Cessna 310 near Sanford inbound to Orlando, and a Piper Twin Comanche departing Lakeland, on different days.

Not sure why the two are combined in one thread. Maybe we should just have one sticky thread for all plane accidents.:dunno:

Both accidents are a shame indeed. I feel so bad for the families of the dead. Reading about the 310 crash, there was a kid that ran to the seen with a fire extinguisher. He got there in time to see the people burning. Thats a big bummer that he'll live with that for a while.

The other thing I'd like to mention. And I know I'm just arm chair piloting here. Why was anything electric on at all!!!???? The pilot radioed that they were having trouble. Fire=master switch off!

Again, a real bummer .

John

Back