Twin Cessna Crash in AR

I'm not really qualified to comment so I'll just ask a dumb question. Why bank into a dead engine? Seems like the wrong thing to do.

Haven't done MEI stuff for decades but here goes, might be wrong on some of this. Turns toward and away from the dead engine have to be performed on the check ride. No reason why you can't bank into the dead engine. Now if the left engine fails, you do bank a few degrees into the operating engine as the operating engine, in this ex the right engine, is 'pulling' he plane to the left along with unbalanced thrust. But turns can be made in either direction. I seem to recall my ME instructor having me do steep turns L&R w/ the engine featured.

Last edited:
Discussion of accidents prior to some pretty piece of paper with a government logo on it, has some purpose, but it's not always about figuring out what actually happened. It's about thinking of ways it could have happened and internalizing the possible solutions that can be applied to your own flying.

I've talked to two pilots on the phone in the last three years who discussed their own accidents....................k

Both were CFIs and both were simply discussing it. Since they were sitting in the planes when the problems occurred, I'm going to bet they had about the best available knowledge of what just about killed them, without sending stuff to a lab for analysis. They also had incorporated new techniques into their training procedures to try to help mitigate what occurred.

The NTSB reports on both aren't out yet. But their students now gain the benefit of those new procedures brought about by thoughtful introspection and discussion with others. One is a chief pilot for a school, so I suspect his new procedures are required of all of his CFIs.

By the way, the reason they discussed their experiences over the phone and not online, was directly confirmed by me to be because of liability -- any possible simple mistake in wording opens them up to life-destroying lawyers who make money by mincing words.

Their experiences and instruction on how to avoid their scenarios would be quite beneficial to the pilot community at large, but the risk of sharing and getting a sentence wrong can destroy their life, so the information they could share that might save someone else's life, won't be published anywhere. The pretty accident report with the nice official NTSB logo will have a "cause", but won't have their mitigation techniques mentioned in it.

One may do a safety seminar on it. That'll get his information to about 50 people. The other probably won't have time.

[quote above post]. Yeah. Damage prevention taking a back seat to damage control. It is a sad indictment of our legal system that we must fear our legal profession.

Last edited:
It looks to my untrained eye like a fateful combination of engine out, insufficient altitude and airspeed to recover. I'm too green to guess whether the wind was helping, hurting, or irrelevant. Was this "the impossible turn?"

Not on a multi-engine. Sounds like a Vmc roll.

Back