TV's--Plasma vs. LCD/LED

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
In the market for a new TV. It's been at least 5 years or so since I checked anything out, and I know things have changed a bit. Would love some opinions:

Here are the parameters:
Small room.
Looking for probably 55"
Off-axis viewing might be an issue
I'm concerned about plasma screen burn-in but realize that technology has gotten better.
Would like to keep it well under $1000.
Don't need bells, whistles, or a "smart" TV.

Do I go plasma or LCD?

Go LED, or LCD. But the new LED TV's are dropping rapidly in price right now because of the new dimensional 3d LED TV's

My wife and I saw a 60" LED 3D ready tv at Best Buy for 600.00!!! And that was at expensive ass Best Buy.

We're looking at same type TV's right now too, so if I see any other good deals, I'll pass it on to you.

I recently bought a Sony 55" LED TV to replace my 34" HDTV (CRT). The room is 11 x 19 and I now sit about 10' from the TV. Let me say 55" is a little too big for the room. Because I can make the room completely dark, even during the middle of the day, I didn't need to worry about which is brighter/darker. But that could be a consideration for you.

I heard LCD and LED can be a problem if you're not viewing at a direct angle. Some of the furniture is angled off to the side.

You can get screen burn with plasma. You have to be at a big angle not to see the LCD screen properly.

You can get screen burn with plasma. You have to be at a big angle not to see the LCD screen properly.
I understand that's not an issue anymore. Can anyone confirm?

I chose a Samsung plasma. My reasoning was that I watch a lot of sports in full screen and the refresh rate for LCD and LED were not to my liking. I also like the black levels of the plasma better than the LED which has a tendency to bleed a bit. The down sides are somewhat higher power consumption and heat, also the weight and cost are a bit higher compared to the LED/LCD.

I haven't seen any burn in problem after 15 months. It's important to have your plasma calibrated about 2 months after it's installed. Most shops that sell the tv also sell calibration service, but it can be done by the homeowner with some investigation.

Nothing bad to say about LED/LCD, but my preference was for fast action and no blurring or chopping.

I've read extensively on cNet all about the advantages and disadvantages of both. Burn-in is not a problem apparently unless you really set out to do it. Plasmas are subject to "image retention" but that is not permanent (again, unless you're really really persistent).

Interesting, I want the viewing angle of plasma with the brightness of LED. I guess I'll just end up shopping by price. : )

In the market for a new TV. It's been at least 5 years or so since I checked anything out, and I know things have changed a bit. Would love some opinions:

Here are the parameters:
Small room.
Looking for probably 55"
Off-axis viewing might be an issue
I'm concerned about plasma screen burn-in but realize that technology has gotten better.
Would like to keep it well under $1000.
Don't need bells, whistles, or a "smart" TV.

Do I go plasma or LCD?

Pro's and Con's with both but LED seems to be in the lead. I always use cnet.com for comparisons and reference.

I just replaced a 42" Vizio w/ a 55" LG (LED) Smart TV, 3D,,, http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LM6700-led-tv
I would study their website and take a look at the videos on the product.
Street price is around $1200-1500. It's only about 1.5 inches thick.

Last edited:
You need to talk to my son, who does sales and installation for Best Buy's home theater division. He's in DC, but he can probably put you in touch with someone in NJ. Email or PM me with your contact info if you want me to put him in touch with you.

One consideration with Plasma is glare. LED/LCDs have matte screens, Plasmas have shiny screens. In our living room we have lots of windows, glare was a problem we wanted to avoid, so that ruled out plasma.

I understand that's not an issue anymore. Can anyone confirm?
No, it's still an issue. I had an LG for about a year and it shows burn-in from news ticker. But it's a HD burn-in: I can even read that says "Live".

I heard LCD and LED can be a problem if you're not viewing at a direct angle. Some of the furniture is angled off to the side.d
I have LCD and have no problem watching at sharp angles, a sofa is actually way to the side so a sharp angle is a norm if anyone sits there. I am very fond of my 42" LG with some backlighting but a non-shiny screen was critical for me as otherwise I would see my backyard reflecting in the screen, I have seen other LCDs/LEDs and most as I recall had glossy screens.

Last edited:
Back