Tuskegee Airman National Historic Site - now open

wayne

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
wayne
It’s been closed for over a year due to COVID restrictions. Currently only open on Fridays and Saturdays from 9 am - 4:30 pm CDT.

Looking to see if there is any interest in a fly-in.

Lunch options may be challenging. I need to call about that. I see the FBO lists rental car, but not a crew car.

I am in. Hopefully the next couple of weekends we can gets some descent weather. I have been waiting on it to open up! Its just over an hour flight for me. I had the pleasure of sitting by a gentleman that was a Tuskegee Airmen about 13 years ago on a commercial flight.

There is literally nothing to eat there. That was a monkey drop off point for me and I think we drove a bit and settled on subway. Yuck!! Or maybe we just didn't search hard enough. Haha

I'd like to join in. Been there once for a short visit and ended up in AOPA seminar going on at the same time. Next week Saturday (6/19) is Juneteenth and likely to have celebration, history, and (of course) food going on.

Moton Field is just off I-85 exit 38. The best option for food is Auburn, exit 51 and there are plenty of food options there. Just gotta figure out how to get up the interstate for 13 miles.

Right now checking on any interest on going there. Later the big challenge of which weekend works best.

Yep, the hardest part of a trip there is the challenge around lunch. I need to give the FBO a call and get some insight. There are a couple of sandwich shops, and a Pizza Hut. o_O Depending upon the number of people we may be able to get a car to go to lunch or run in and pick-up food orders and eat at the airport. Worst case we could do a picnic lunch.

There is literally nothing to eat there. That was a monkey drop off point for me and I think we drove a bit and settled on subway. Yuck!! Or maybe we just didn't search hard enough. Haha

Sadly, there isn't much more. Subway is ok, but there are better sandwich shops.

I believe there is a BBQ place near Pine Mountain (KPIM) which is ~45nm NE of 06A. I haven't flown down to check it out, but several of the RV guys around here hit it up fairly frequently.

Not sure what ground transportation is available at AUO, but Mama G's is pretty good sandwichy food (and basically the only good thing to ever come out of Auburn.)

I believe there is a BBQ place near Pine Mountain (KPIM) which is ~45nm NE of 06A. I haven't flown down to check it out, but several of the RV guys around here hit it up fairly frequently.

Not sure what ground transportation is available at AUO, but Mama G's is pretty good sandwichy food (and basically the only good thing to ever come out of Auburn.)

Hey! :mad: War Eagle! :)

Momma Goldberg's is great though. When I brought the kids there to check it Auburn we had to go there for lunch. :D

How about Saturday, October 2nd? The weather should be cool enough that it is not brutal, like the summer is. How does this weekend work?

As I said earlier, lunch will be the challenge. There is a Pizza Hut there, and Subway, so deliveries or pick-up is a possibility. Just not "fine dining". Or we could do a picnic type lunch. Another option, is hop to a nearby location with better eating, but that may not be a great option.

At $4.30 / gal (current price), the 100LL is at a pretty good price.

The museum entry is free.

Back