Turning your truck into a fuel truck!

Well, except for farmers of course! I can drive a dump truck to the local quarry to get stone for my farm. I can transport farm equipment from one farm to the other w/ a tractor-trailer set up (or on a flatbed behind a dump truck).

All w/o a CDL. At least that's the way it is in Missouri. People with property get to do all kinds of stupid stuff if we want to.

I have no idea if this applies to fuel transportation also...I doubt it does.

There are certain state-by-state exceptions in regards to GVW in special circumstances, but I don't think HazMat is one of those exceptions.

In Iowa every year, the Governor passes a 'declaration' that allows farmers to go up to 90,000 lb gross (normally 80,000 lb max) on grain trailers that are loaded in the field.

I always thought it was interesting that you could drive a 100,000+ lb John Deere tractor that is as wide as the full width of the road and pulling a farm implement with multiple ways to shred a passenger car as soon as you can reach the pedals (maybe even sooner if it's a hydro-stat drive), but you can't drive a Ford Fiesta until you're 16 y/o. :dunno:

I have seen just as hoaky tender rigs on the roads all through there, although I question the " chemical tote's" rating for gasoline. I'm not coming out in favor of building a hoaky TI, just stating that the likelihood of taking a bust for it in TX is low especially if you have a Farm Tag.

You're probably right if all the toting you do is out in the sticks but I bet you'd get stopped pretty quick in any metropolitan or urban area. Also probably little chance of getting stopped if all you're doing is going a mile or so from the airport to the nearest gas station.

Back