Turned in my certificate today

You got me!

Congradulation on the Seaplane! Now you can splash-and-go! (love that term)

Ken Ibold said:
... so I could get a new one, adding seaplane!!

Too bad you can't win that EAA Husky on floats...I'd like that one myself.

Congrats! How was the training? How long does it take? Are you able to rent a seaplane in Fla?

Paul Allen said:
Congrats! How was the training? How long does it take? Are you able to rent a seaplane in Fla?
Went to Jack Brown's. Fabulous experience! They've got the system down pat. 5 hours of flying over yesterday and this morning, and then the checkride after this morning's flight. I was done by noon.

And yesterday we pulled the EAA Sweepstakes Husky out for some playtime and photos, and I got to fly that a bit. Beats working for a living!!

Ken Ibold said:
Went to Jack Brown's. Fabulous experience! They've got the system down pat. 5 hours of flying over yesterday and this morning, and then the checkride after this morning's flight. I was done by noon.

And yesterday we pulled the EAA Sweepstakes Husky out for some playtime and photos, and I got to fly that a bit. Beats working for a living!!

So the entire training for the SES addon was 5 hours? Or am I horribly confused :)

wbarnhill said:
So the entire training for the SES addon was 5 hours? Or am I horribly confused :)
An hour ground school and 3.5 hours flying the first day. 1.5 hours and then a checkride the second day. In straight float J-3s with the door open and the bald eagles and alligators around and lake after lake as far as the eye can see.

There's really not much to it. Just learn the boat part. The flying part is straightforward IF you're a stick and rudder flier. I'm told people who mostly fly instruments and who rely on the numbers for everything have a hard time adjusting to the Cub's lack of numbers for anything.

Not much to it until you get in heavy winds on a raging river or on a big lake and whitcap crashing over the bows.5 hours is enough time to get ya a lerning permit.The float rating is eay to get,but it is something that needs to be learned with some caution.It is tons of fun .

Bill Jennings said:

No, that baby is MINE...bwah-hah hah!

Oh--er, Congratulations, Ken, and best wishes and a lot of fun with it!

terry

It is a good thing you can't see me right now because I am green with envy. Way to go Ken. Bob:goofy:

Missa said:
You got me!

I knew it was a new rating, but I didn't guess the right one.

Ken, does Jack do AMES also? I'd definitely like to do that one.

Missa said:
You got me!

Missa, In a hot air balloon it we always called it a plunk & dunk, and the water would come into the basket. Load of fun.

WTG KEN!!!!! Watch out for glassy water.

Not Ken, but...

http://www.gate.net/~seaplane/multi.htm

Not sure what plane they use now. They had a TwinBee when I added the ASES many years ago. (Xmas present from Mary. It was 28F when I flew. Ice on the ramp. Came home and promptly stayed in bed with pneumonia for 2 weeks. Still, it was worth it.)

lancefisher said:
I knew it was a new rating, but I didn't guess the right one.

Ken, does Jack do AMES also? I'd definitely like to do that one.

Ken Ibold said:

I'm interested because I'll be doing that this summer sometime:

Is the checkride just like the ASEL checkride, as far as maneuvers go, or do they just do the check on the mooring and taxiing, landings and takeoffs?

5 hours isn't bad. I can swing that.

Congratulations! I would love to do that, too!

Steve said:
Not Ken, but...

http://www.gate.net/~seaplane/multi.htm

Not sure what plane they use now. They had a TwinBee when I added the ASES many years ago. (Xmas present from Mary. It was 28F when I flew. Ice on the ramp. Came home and promptly stayed in bed with pneumonia for 2 weeks. Still, it was worth it.)
Yup, still a TwinBee. I poked my head in it, but I don't know the tail number. Cool, funky plane.

Bill Jennings said:
I did get the fly the Husky some during and after a photo shoot. Really nice! Much heavier on the controls than I expected it to be, but then, I was just out of a J-3, so a go-kart would have felt heavy. The Husky is very maneuverable in the air and was a breeze to land on water or wheels. Taxiing on pavement was a little more difficult at first, but I expect it would be easy to get used to.

supercub185 said:
Not much to it until you get in heavy winds on a raging river or on a big lake and whitcap crashing over the bows.5 hours is enough time to get ya a lerning permit.The float rating is eay to get,but it is something that needs to be learned with some caution.It is tons of fun .
I think I would call those conditions "a damn good excuse to stay indoors!"

Congrats, Ken....

Now we know how you'll be arriving at Gastons....

HPNFlyGirl said:
Missa, In a hot air balloon it we always called it a plunk & dunk, and the water would come into the basket. Load of fun.

Cool, so when you taking me plunking and dunking??? For that I would take a balloon ride. :yes:

Missa

Ken Ibold said:

Sounds like a vacation that I need to take.

Ken Ibold said:

Congratulations.

BTW - did you know that the Seaplane Pilot Association is looking for a new director?

Len

SkyHog said:
I'm interested because I'll be doing that this summer sometime:

Is the checkride just like the ASEL checkride, as far as maneuvers go, or do they just do the check on the mooring and taxiing, landings and takeoffs?

5 hours isn't bad. I can swing that.
Checkride was idle taxi/turns, normal takeoff, fly to another lake, engine out landing, plow taxi/turns, rough water takeoff, fly to another lake, rough water landing, step taxi/turns, glassy water takeoff (simulated), fly to another lake, glassy water landing (simulated), docking, crosswind takeoff, fly back to base, normal landing, beaching. All in 0.8.

gkainz said:
I think I would call those conditions "a damn good excuse to stay indoors!"
Sometimes you get caught.Have left at daybreak and dropped off hunters and by 10 am 20 knots is gusting when you get there or on return to base.Lots of hidden debris if there is ny chop and remember in some places you are landing where no one has ever landed before.Weight and balance becomes critical in seaplanes on small lakes with big trees on the end,espescially with high density altitudes.Most 4 place aircraft become 2 place on floats.Fill most float planes with full fuel and you re probably overloaded with more than the pilot on board.Not difficult,just seen lots of people get hurt in em.Lots to consider,but one of the more rewarding types of flight.I encourage every one to do it,but lost some buddies over the years and it hurts to see something i love dearly cause lots of anguish.

Ken Ibold said:
Yup, still a TwinBee. I poked my head in it, but I don't know the tail number. Cool, funky plane.

Throwover yoke?
The first flying I did in Seattle was in a TwinBee...

Dave Krall CFII said:
Throwover yoke?
The first flying I did in Seattle was in a TwinBee...
Nope. Dual yokes on this one, but coming from a center post like the older Bonanzas.

If he doesn't mind be considered an exhibitionist, a Gaston's display could certainly be expensed as a business trip. :yes:

wsuffa said:
Congrats, Ken....

Now we know how you'll be arriving at Gastons....

Ken Ibold said:
An hour ground school and 3.5 hours flying the first day. 1.5 hours and then a checkride the second day. In straight float J-3s with the door open and the bald eagles and alligators around and lake after lake as far as the eye can see.

There's really not much to it. Just learn the boat part. The flying part is straightforward IF you're a stick and rudder flier. I'm told people who mostly fly instruments and who rely on the numbers for everything have a hard time adjusting to the Cub's lack of numbers for anything.

I was going ask where but this sounds like Brown's near Orlando.

Checkride was idle taxi/turns, normal takeoff, fly to another lake, engine out landing, plow taxi/turns, rough water takeoff, fly to another lake, rough water landing, step taxi/turns, glassy water takeoff (simulated), fly to another lake, glassy water landing (simulated), docking, crosswind takeoff, fly back to base, normal landing, beaching. All in 0.8.

Oh MAN! I had to do stalls, too! Got mine in a 1946 Taylorcraft, which was cool in itself, nevermind the float part.

Seaplanes are so much fun. If I were rich, I'd get a set of floats for my airplane, but I'm not, so I won't. But it is pretty cool.

Judy

Missa said:
Cool, so when you taking me plunking and dunking??? For that I would take a balloon ride. :yes:

Missa

Might want to wait a couple months. You have to tip the basket over to use the heater to melt ice.

Back