turn on 60 minutes

Why is it that some people want to tear down someone for getting some well deserved credit for a job well done. Sullenberg turned down the parade they wanted to give him in his home town. He said he didn't think he was a hero. ( I listened to it twice) Why can't some people just be respectful and not so condescending. I like to look for the good in people, but I can't seem to find the good in bashing what This USAir pilot did.

Bob

Why is it that some people want to tear down someone for getting some well deserved credit for a job well done. Sullenberg turned down the parade they wanted to give him in his home town. He said he didn't think he was a hero. ( I listened to it twice) Why can't some people just be respectful and not so condescending. I like to look for the good in people, but I can't seem to find the good in bashing what This USAir pilot did.

Bob

Jealousy?

In a world full of people that are famous for being famous, I'm OK with someone getting an 'atta boy' for actually DOING something for once. In a situation ripe with opportunities for failure, he succeeded with exceptional results.

I don't know that he qualifies for 'hero' status in MY book, as he wasn't willingly putting his life in danger to save someone else's life (firefighter, soldier, cops, etc.), but at the same time, he excelled in the situation he was thrust into. Everyone's definition of 'hero' varies, though.

Good job, Mr. 'Sully'.

In a world full of people that are famous for being famous, I'm OK with someone getting an 'atta boy' for actually DOING something for once. In a situation ripe with opportunities for failure, he succeeded with exceptional results.

I don't know that he qualifies for 'hero' status in MY book, as he wasn't willingly putting his life in danger to save someone else's life (firefighter, soldier, cops, etc.), but at the same time, he excelled in the situation he was thrust into. Everyone's definition of 'hero' varies, though.

Good job, Mr. 'Sully'.

Well said.

Good job, Mr. 'Sully'.
Leslie and I were talking last night, and we both reached the same conclusion. And I suspect that Sully feels similarly. As I understood what he was saying, he is no longer telling people that he isn't a hero because that would invalidate their opinions and beliefs. I'll have to go listen to it again to get it down right, or Bob can post the transcript of that answer.

You can play it here The section about him being called a hero is in the third one. " an emotional reunion", it comes after they are reading the tons of mail that he has received. He says that if people calling him a hero, helps than he is ok with it. But play it and listen closely to what he really says. Bob

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/08/60minutes/main4783586.shtml

There are worse people in this world we call heroes or worship as such. Captain Sullenberger and his crew saved 150 people. I'd call them heroes. And I didn't hear HIM call himself a hero. I believe it was "If calling me a hero helps, I can't disagree."
Good job to the crew of 1549. Yeah, hero works for me.

:DI am certain that Captain Sully made the right decision and did the job he was confident he could do by setting down in the Hudson.

It is not often that a serious airliner emergency turns out so well that it is almost impossible to second guess a better outcome.

One thought I have is the flight track from bird strike to water landing looks to be quite a bit longer than the distance back to departure airport or ahead to Teeterboro. I have heard reports that computer simulation of the situation indicated that an airport was not within gliding distance. Even if one or both were close enough, I believe the chances of an outcome as favorable as what actually happened would have been slim to none. Picture nailing the proper touchdown zone with no power for adjustment. No time for emergency foaming. No power for thrust reversers. Captain Sully with his glider experience may well have been able to pull it off but I again think he made the right call by doing what he was confident would result in a safe outcome. He is da MAN in my book.:drink:

I also liked the email that shows God's hands gently setting the Airbus into the water. Like a mass baptism.:)

Rick

Last edited:
There are worse people in this world we call heroes or worship as such. Captain Sullenberger and his crew saved 150 people. I'd call them heroes. And I didn't hear HIM call himself a hero. I believe it was "If calling me a hero helps, I can't disagree."
Good job to the crew of 1549. Yeah, hero works for me.

Couric: "You've been called a hero by a lot of people. How do you feel about that?"
Sully: "I don't feel comfortable embracing it, but I don't want to deny it. I don't want to diminish their thankful feeling toward me by telling them that they're wrong. I'm beginning to understand why they might feel that way."
Couric: "And why is that?"
Sully: "Something about this episode has captured people's imagination. I think they want good news. I think they want to feel hopeful again, and if I can help them that way, I will."

I've tried really hard, but I just cannot find any evidence of ego in that at all. The dude did his job better than maybe anyone else could have, and in doing so 155 people lived to see another day. Now, when people call him a hero it still makes him uncomfortable - That's called "humility" and I am SO glad that we have a new role model who is one for the right reasons.

Couric: "You've been called a hero by a lot of people. How do you feel about that?"
Sully: "I don't feel comfortable embracing it, but I don't want to deny it. I don't want to diminish their thankful feeling toward me by telling them that they're wrong. I'm beginning to understand why they might feel that way."

I've tried really hard, but I just cannot find any evidence of ego in that at all. The dude did his job better than maybe anyone else could have, and in doing so 155 people lived to see another day. Now, when people call him a hero it still makes him uncomfortable - That's called "humility" and I am SO glad that we have a new role model who is one for the right reasons.

I'm not sure which is the funnier statement here. You not being able to find the ego in Sully's love me if you must statement or you thinking few if any other pilots could have stuck that landing in the Hudson.
That (his only option) landing, on a smooth and wide body of water with no traffic in the way and with a plane descending from a very shallow altitude and at relatively low speed was impressive but hardly a one in a million shot.
MANY pilots, if handed the exact same circumstances could have and would have achieved the same outcome here. A tip of the cap to Sully for a job well done but this notion that he pulled off the near impossible is utter nonsense.
In fact had Sully pulled off this landing on the Mississippi River outside of St. Louis instead of the Husdon River in New York City there wouldn't be 1/10th the media coverage and fawning we're now seeing. Our nations media capital New York City loves nothing better than a New York story.

Don't feed the troll.... don't feed the troll.... don't feed the troll

I'm not sure which is the funnier statement here. You not being able to find the ego in Sully's love me if you must statement or you thinking few if any other pilots could have stuck that landing in the Hudson.
That (his only option) landing, on a smooth and wide body of water with no traffic in the way and with a plane descending from a very shallow altitude and at relatively low speed was impressive but hardly a one in a million shot.
MANY pilots, if handed the exact same circumstances could have and would have achieved the same outcome here. A tip of the cap to Sully for a job well done but this notion that he pulled off the near impossible is utter nonsense.
In fact had Sully pulled off this landing on the Mississippi River outside of St. Louis instead of the Husdon River in New York City there wouldn't be 1/10th the media coverage and fawning we're now seeing. Our nations media capital New York City loves nothing better than a New York story.

Hunh?

:sleep:

I feel a Hero is someone who chooses to put them self in harms way knowing that self sacrifice may be the ultimate price.

Sully did not choose to hit birds.

Did he do a hell of a job...absolutely

Would I think I was a hero given the same situation and outcome...no

If he had tried to turn to Teterboro where he obviously would not have made it, would folks be calling him a hero? Nope, just another unfortunate accident... while the gather the survivors along with the bodies of both passengers and those who were on the ground at the impact site.

He considered more than just his passengers and his own behind. He took the action that benefited all even if it continued the potential negative results for his aircraft. How many would make that decision so quickly and calmly? Dang few.

Don't trolls reside in the muddy basins where their every view is dim?

Back