turn on 60 minutes

I loved the "did you prey?" question.....

He is pretty good at this interview stuff.

Wow!!
All I can say is Sully had better drop the robotic "call me a hero if you must" personna or America will start to dislike this guy very very quickly. This may be a case where the Legend of Sully is better viewed from afar.
BTW, anyone else turned off by the whole made for TV quality that crew/passenger gathering had??
After recalling how the crew of UA232 handled themselves with such class and humility in the aftermath of that horrific crash a few years ago this show tonight left me feeling quite disappointed in Sully.
I'm shocked the weight of Sully's ego didn't sink the plane. :rolleyes:
And about that loony tune stewardess...............

Wow!!
All I can say is Sully had better drop the robotic "call me a hero if you must" personna or America will start to dislike this guy very very quickly. This may be a case where the Legend of Sully is better viewed from afar.
Uh..I think he did a fine job. He gave America what they want and need sometimes. That is all.
BTW, anyone else turned off by the whole made for TV quality that crew/passenger gathering had??
In case you didn't notice--this was 60 minutes and it was on TV. It is going to have that made for TV feel.

I'm shocked the weight of Sully's ego didn't sink the plane. :rolleyes:
I don't even know how to respond to that comment. Not big on respect are you? He deserves some. Notice how he hasn't been running around doing interviews all over. He isn't trying to bask in fame...and if he did decide to do that..more power to him.

This attitude is a poor choice for your first post...

And about that loony tune stewardess...............
Agree. I could have done without her.

Last edited:
I think he did a good job and was very proffessional. I'm not sure about the new Mike, but I rather like his "I can't seem to see myself as a hero, but if you all think I am.. ok."

bleh. whatever.

I do not like the crazy flight attendant in the back.
He was probably preying on those poor, defenseless birds! :)

I agree WRT the flight attendant in the back. Plus, I wish she had been able to keep control of the passengers in back, especially the one who got past her and opened the rear door, thereby allowing the water in.

But Leslie and I were talking about how you would decide whether or not to open a door if it were partway underwater. It would depend somewhat on whether other doors were able to be opened safely. So would they have communications between the various doors via telephone?

He was probably preying on those poor, defenseless birds! :)

I agree WRT the flight attendant in the back. Plus, I wish she had been able to keep control of the passengers in back, especially the one who got past her and opened the rear door, thereby allowing the water in.

But Leslie and I were talking about how you would decide whether or not to open a door if it were partway underwater. It would depend somewhat on whether other doors were able to be opened safely. So would they have communications between the various doors via telephone?

last time I read the instruction booklet in the seatback pocket, unless you can tell the water is below the door you don't open it and go to the wings as they are the highest doors.

1) Sully did fine lets remember on jan 14 perhaps 250 people knew who this guy was on Jan 15 The entire country plus a good portion of the world wanted a piece of him.

2) The only made for TV part seemed to be when tehy walked into the hangar for the interview in front of the plane.

from what i could tell, she couldnt keep control of the passengers in the back because she couldnt keep control of herself.

Hmm. Did that happen? I never saw a rear door open.

I don't even know how to respond to that comment. Not big on respect are you? He deserves some. Notice how he hasn't been running around doing interviews all over. He isn't trying to bask in fame...and if he did decide to do that..more power to him.

Jesse I really hate to burst your Sully hero worship bubble but his media tour starts tomorrow.
Since $ully gave 60 Minutes the exclusive rights to his 1st interview and it's been aired tonight Sully is now free to rev up his big media splash (pun intended) tomorrow. :D
Such a humble hero our Sully!!
Contrary to your belief I'm very big on respect. Sully gets a big tip of the cap from me for sticking that landing on the Hudson. But excuse me if I don't trip all over myself kissing this guys oversized ego.
He did his job and he did it well. A hero?? Hardly!

Last edited:
I think he did a good job and was very proffessional. I'm not sure about the new Mike, but I rather like his "I can't seem to see myself as a hero, but if you all think I am.. ok."

Uh that's not what he said Missa. Very nice spin though!

Jesse I really hate to burst your Sully hero worship bubble but his media tour starts tomorrow.
Since $ully gave 60 Minutes the exclusive rights to his 1st interview and it's been aired tonight Sully is now free to rev up his big media splash (pun intended) tomorrow. :D
Such a humble hero our Sully!!
Contrary to your belief I'm very big on respect. Sully gets a big tip of the cap from me for sticking that landing on the Hudson. But excuse me if I don't trip all over myself kissing this guys oversized ego.
He did his job and he did it well. A hero?? Hardly!
There are those, that are famous, and make lots of money with their fame that have never done a heroic thing in their life. If he wants to capitalize on his fame, so be it, I'm not going to hate him for it.

It seems to me like you may have a bit of a ego problem as well. You certainly have no desire to act in a respectable manner. I'll put more trust in Sully over any random internet jerk (whomever that random internet jerk may be..I'm not pointing any fingers). With that, I'm done putting any more effort into responding to you.

Don't forget to watch your hero on Letterman tomorrow night.
Dignity all the way!!

According to what she said in the interview, it was partly opened by a passenger. She attempted unsuccessfully to reclose it, but water continued to stream in.

For what it is worth, I could not find a picture where either of hte rear doors were opened.

Ya know what, he still landed a plane in an emergency with 155 people on board that hadn't attained what, 3200 feet? And has now been thrust into the public's eye. For anyone who hasn't had to face celebrity, it's pretty tough. And I think he did a hell of a job.

Uh Greg....EVERY post on this board is someone's opinion. Why are you all so threatened by a contrarian point of view?
Is this the the Pilots of America Message Board or the Lemmings of America message board?
Lighten up people!!
Didn't your hero Sully show you that life it too short?? :D

For what it is worth, I could not find a picture where either of hte rear doors were opened.
Not disagreeing with you, but:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/science_news/4300211.html said:
Passenger Jim Hanks told the Associated Press: "I could see that the door jamb and the door were twisted and bent, in a way that was letting in water, and it was also clear that the door was not going to be able to be opened. Nonetheless, I tried," Hanks said. "In just the five or six or seven seconds between getting out of my seat and getting back there, and trying the door, the water rose from my waist to my neck...". The photos clearly show that it was cracked, moments after impact.
There's more of the passenger's story at
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-te.md.survivor19jan19 said:
There were a couple of flight attendants, and they were actually coming forward. One of them said, 'It's hopeless,' referring to getting the door open. Notwithstanding that, I took a couple of steps further back to actually see for myself.

What I saw was openings between the door and the jamb that were allowing a lot of water to rush in. And also I could see that the water was rising on the outside of the plane. That should have been enough for me to realize that the flight attendants were right and to get out of there, but nevertheless I tried the door myself.
Now, I'll be the first to admit that there is some discrepancy between the way the passenger describes it in the article and the way the flight attendant did on television. Not too surprising, really. But it also fits with the fact that you never observed the rear door actually open.

Uh Greg....EVERY post on this board is someone's opinion. Why are you all so threatened by a contrarian point of view?
Is this the the Pilots of America Message Board or the Lemmings of America message board?
Lighten up people!!

Really man... I've got no dog in this fight, but this is one heck of a way to say "Hello POA!"

Cheers,

-Andrew

No, Sir. The "Wow!" is the way by which you first present yourself to the members of this board. I have no clue what your job is nor do I care. It matters not your qualification to speak for or against Mr. Sullenberger. But, your attitude and response given this issue sure tarnishes the chance of you developing friendships on this board.

That being said, Mr. Sullenberger deserves the respect given as does any professional pilot who does their very best to protect those in their care. His initial response to being called a hero set me back as well. Then, he explained how to deny such thoughts diminished them. He didn't ask for a hero status and it's a safe bet he had no such thought during the time he was determining the best option and while setting down in the Hudson. But, now that his crew and passengers are alive and safe along with the family members of those people are celebrating rather than attending funerals... he deserves what those people wish to bestow upon him. As said, it wasn't just 155 individuals saved. The number is considerably greater.

Chelsey Sullenberger is a hero in my eyes.

Lighten up people!!

I will defend your right to espouse your opinion.
Even if I do think you're a jerk.

Lighten up people!!

All I have to say is that you are making a hell of a first impression.

Back on topic.... I almost got the impression that the flight attendant in the back was looking for a big payoff.
I might be mistaken but on 60 minutes they said she was one of the seriously injured,
yet for an interview conducted just a few weeks later she seemed quite capable of walking into the hangar with the rest of the crew.
She also stated that her uniform was in shreds... How did this happen?
And most crew members normally have 4 to 7 sets of uniforms, so what happened to those? Were they torn up also?
One of the original media reports said that the f/a had two broken legs, what happened? Did they already heal? Or was this a media mislead?
I have been in the biz for over 20 years and I can tell you from experience that not everyone can perform under real pressure.

I hope Sully makes enough money from his interview, shows and public speaking engagements that he never has to worry about making a living.

It was an...interesting interview. I think CA Sullenberger did a fantastic job of handling the questions, and the A and B flight attendants did well too. The C FA came across as kind of whiny but I can't really say too much as I have NEVER been in a situation even close to what she experienced, and I have no idea how I'd handle it. I would have liked to have heard more from Skiles, and for that matter I wish she would have let both pilots talk more about the facts/timeline of the day instead of the generic "and how did that make you feel" questions. Overall, though, I thought it was a good, if brief segment.

As far as this thread goes:

Please don't feed the troll!
dontfeedthetroll.jpg

Not bad, overall. Matt I agree, I would have liked to have heard a more technical view of the incident. But for the general not so technical public, I think it was handled nicely. The FA in the back made it soud as if she were too traumatized to wear the uniform. I dunno, not too shabby overall.

I believe the reading of the letter at the end was the feelings of a greatful nation for a new hero in this time of troubled news every where we look.

Additionally, Katie's hair stylist gets an "A" and, in spite of all her own media attention re her CBS position the legs haven't suffered.

:eek:)

Out of all the times the reporters get the story of an accident wrong or go above and beyond what really happens just to make a story, its about dang time someone in the aviation community is looked at as a hero. It's very rare an accident turns out as well as it did so don't ever think for a second that he shouldn't be proud for saving the lives of those people and being able to give aviation a boost.

I think the only statement I saw that showed anything that could even possibly be construed as egotistical was when he said "I knew I could do it" but I sure didn't take it that way at all - It seemed to me more like the conviction of a true captain that he *must* do it for his passengers.

I'll judge Sully the way I judge everyone: If every airline captain was just like Sully, would the world be a better place? Damn skippy it would. I'll sleep in the back seat with him flying any day. :yes:

It's just that we are all in awe of Greg... he's OUR hero!

It was a great interview. The Flight Attendant in the Back of the plane had a much more difficult time that any of us could ever imagine. Sully is a professional and it shows. I got the impression that he was doing his job, and was glad it was done right, even after second guessing himself, which I found amazing. Nobody died! How could he have done any better? I would not call him a hero but a professional that took his job very seriously and was, as he said "being prepared his whole life" (or something like that) to handle the situation. He gives hope back to a world where everything seems to be breaking because people did or do not do their jobs right. My hat goes off to all the professional pilots out there who keep up on their training even though it seems remote that they may never use it.

1) When are they EVER going to let Sully talk?!!!!!!

2) Whatta jerk. He's claiming he's big a**ed hero!

Back