Turn Coordinator

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
The turn coordinator in my C172 tends to fog up a little on hot and humid days. (Fortunately that is rare here in florida :no: )

Would it make more sense to have it overhauled or replaced? If I replace it, I might look for something with a little more functionality. Any suggestions?

The fact you are seeing moisture is not a good thing for a gyro instrument. They should be able to overhaul it and reseal it. Just make sure they know you have a humidity problem and have seen moisture on the glass.

Also, is your TC linked to an autopilot in your plane? STECs use the TC.

The turn coordinator in my C172 tends to fog up a little on hot and humid days. (Fortunately that is rare here in florida :no: )

Would it make more sense to have it overhauled or replaced? If I replace it, I might look for something with a little more functionality. Any suggestions?

If that's the only thing wrong with it having it "repaired" seems a bit premature. Its not unusual to get fogging on multiple instruments depending on weather conditions so I'd be skeptical that would even fix it.

If that's the only thing wrong with it having it "repaired" seems a bit premature. Its not unusual to get fogging on multiple instruments depending on weather conditions so I'd be skeptical that would even fix it.

Turn coordinators generally make a grinding noise when failing. Short of that or other significant symptoms it's sorta difficult to suggest rebuild.

Thanks. It can wait then.
And no AP involved. Yet. Maybe I'll have it replaced if/when I install an AP.
Or let the next owner do it if I manage to acquire a faster plane with an AP.

Don't forget how cheap this stuff has gotten. $200 will probably get you an overhauled one. No brainer to just swap it.

Back