Turn Coordinator

tmyers

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Myers
Would you trust a used Turn Coordinator if it were the brushless style at $300 or go for the new one for $800+

By used, do you mean one rebuilt by a repair shop and "yellow tagged?"
Or do you mean you bought it at the Aeromart at Oshkosh.

I'd avoid any of the latter type of thing. I pulled a failed DG out of my panel one time and found it to have a piece of tape on the top that said "$5." That's when I decided that just about everything I didn't personally replace on my plane was suspect.

Ron,

I meant yellow tagged by a shop. I can get a brushless unit brand new for around $800. I have been advised against rebuilds by an old salt (my CFI) but I am clueless on the subject. I didn't know if it was worth the few hundred bucks to go with a used unit replaced by an upgrade or if I should just go new. Guess I was just curious about the experiences of others here.

Mine works but it is pretty loose and I find myself having to rely on the AI way to much making a standard rate turn in IFR.

Ron,

I meant yellow tagged by a shop. I can get a brushless unit brand new for around $800. I have been advised against rebuilds by an old salt (my CFI) but I am clueless on the subject. I didn't know if it was worth the few hundred bucks to go with a used unit replaced by an upgrade or if I should just go new. Guess I was just curious about the experiences of others here.

Mine works but it is pretty loose and I find myself having to rely on the AI way to much making a standard rate turn in IFR.

I have had my rebuilt in place for a couple of years. I think mine was a factory rebuild, though. It is working fine.

Back