Turn, Climb or 360?

7700 and do what you need to do to maintain VFR. (But for Bravo work, stay if you can at same altitude).
No need for that, even. If the controller is too chatty, start the descent and hit the “ident” button. That makes a bloom on the screen and will likely prompt a radio call from the controller.

There have been numerous times where my crew is orbiting a photo target in a bad location in DFW and the frequency up near Addison gets so saturated that we can’t get a word in edgewise to move to our next spot. In that circumstance we do not make any altitude changes but just hit ident and wait and more often than not we are the first or second radio call in sequence.

But I wonder if I am doing something that materially affects safety, and I can’t communicate, if I will feel comfortable to squawk 7600 to get their attention until I could clarify.
With respect to safety, the risk of harm from flying where you don't want to go is significant, and YOU are in charge of assessing and managing that risk, not the controller. The risk of the controller allowing you to fly on a collision course with another aircraft is very low, especially if the other aircraft is IFR or on flight following, in which case he can (and will) instruct the other aircraft to deviate. And HE is in charge of assessing and managing that, since he is working with different information than you have. So if you are headed for a VFR target that he is not communicating with the odds of him immediately contacting you are nearly certain and clearly more certain than your odds of flying into unacceptable weather conditions.

Last edited:
... But I wonder if I am doing something that materially affects safety, and I can’t communicate, if I will feel comfortable to squawk 7600 to get their attention until I could clarify.
I don't think having difficulty talking due to busy frequency constitutes an emergency. But flying VFR into IMC does constitute an emergency. Do what you must to maintain VFR, communicate when you can. That's in the order taught by the FAA: aviate, navigate, communicate. Also remember that you are VFR, so responsibility for separation is always ultimately on you, even when you are on FF. So maintain VFR and visual separation.

No need for that, even. If the controller is too chatty, start the descent and hit the “ident” button. That makes a bloom on the screen and will likely prompt a radio call from the controller. ...
I like this alternative.

They did say “advise” not “ask for permission “. Just turn or climb to avoid the cloud and let them know after they get their afternoon plans sorted with the airline pilot.

Back