Turf & Fuel: XC

flyboy102

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyboy102
I'm planning a flight next week from Denver Centennial to upstate NY. My range is right around 250NM before having to re-fuel, so there will be a number of stops. I'm thinking it could be fun to land only at grass/turf strips along the way...but am having difficulty locating this [rare] combination of fuel and grass.

I can't run MOGAS, so 100LL it is. On sectional charts the little star indicating fuel is not always accurate, in that many airports have fuel but are starless. Also, if you go by the icon for grass on a sectional, you'll miss all the airports that have asphalt or concrete as well as a turf strip.

Airnav's fuel stop planner lets you specify paved, but not the other way around. AOPA's airport search lets you search for all airports in a state, but there's no map (that I know of), so again it's hit or miss.

Anyone know a better way? Also, any recommendations for airfields to visit along the way?

Latest possible route: 47V ICL 2V3 6C2 P15

I can't help you with your request, but
On sectional charts the little star indicating fuel is not always accurate

If it is the star I'm thinking of, the star indicates "Rotating airport beacon in operation from Sunset to Sunrise". I think you mean the little tic marks spaced at 90° around the airport symbol.

Edit- maybe I can help with your request after all. Crete, KCEK, has grass and gas. Just south of Lincoln (KLNK).

Last edited:
St. Francis, KS has gas & grass. A bit close to APA though...

Ah, dredging up old knowledge, I think you're right about the tick marks, nonetheless they're not always accurate.

SYF is a little close, may have to do a day trip there sometime. CEK is a little far, maybe one of these on the way back?

I'll have to check out the links later tonight, thanks for the suggestion :)

Destination ITH (not grass I know, but location, hangars, and fuel!).

Pawnee NE (50K) and Red Stewart OH (40I) had fuel last time I was at them ( within the last 5 years). Lee Bottom IN (64I) is a really nice grass strip with a cabin you can sometimes rent for the night. I can't remember if they have gas. Steve See or Diana may know. Diana did a grass strip tour that went roughly along your path. She may have some ideas.

Barb

Also consider Solberg, NJ although that may be off your route (I don't know where you are going). N51 has a grass runway and gas.

Pawnee NE (50K) and Red Stewart OH (40I) had fuel last time I was at them ( within the last 5 years). Lee Bottom IN (64I) is a really nice grass strip with a cabin you can sometimes rent for the night. I can't remember if they have gas. Steve See or Diana may know. Diana did a grass strip tour that went roughly along your path. She may have some ideas.

Barb

Lee Bottom does not normally have fuel on the field, however during their big fall fly-in they have a fuel truck brought in and may during other events. Best to call ahead.

http://www.leebottom.com/index.html

Nice field.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/64I

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll see if I can incorporate them.

When there's a hard runway intersecting a turf runway, can you be sure there's no lip that will catch your tires? Makes me a little nervous thinking of hitting a curb on roll-out...

Did anyone else immediately think of the quote, 'Ass, Gas, or Grass... Nobody rides for free!' from this post? :rofl:

btw, if the weather pushes you south of TN give me a heads up. Can probably get you in a hangar near me. (one airport is paved, another airport has smooth grass on one side the locals use).

Anyone know a better way? Also, any recommendations for airfields to visit along the way?
I have lots and lots of suggestions for you, but it will take a while to get all the info together. :)

In the meantime, here are a few threads that might help you:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12659

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13828

When there's a hard runway intersecting a turf runway, can you be sure there's no lip that will catch your tires? Makes me a little nervous thinking of hitting a curb on roll-out...
I usually call the FBO ahead of time and ask them how smooth the transition is.

What kind of airplane will you be flying? Sorry if I missed it if you mentioned it.

Copy the below search phrase into Google. Change the state as desired. Do not trust that the information given is current, for example, I don't think MacBride actually has 100LL.

[Surface:turf] 100ll site:airnav.com iowa

If anyone has a better way to do these kinds of searches, please let me know.

Copy the below search phrase into Google. Change the state as desired. Do not trust that the information given is current, for example, I don't think MacBride actually has 100LL.

Friggin' Genius

I'm planning a flight next week from Denver Centennial to upstate NY.

Thought of another place with grass, fuel, and crew car - Pocahontas, IA. The grass is N-S with concrete running E-W(ish). Fuel is a little high priced but they have a crew car available. The turf was in pretty good condition when I was there last Sept.

Thought of another place with grass, fuel, and crew car - Pocahontas, IA. The grass is N-S with concrete running E-W(ish). Fuel is a little high priced but they have a crew car available. The turf was in pretty good condition when I was there last Sept.

Boone, IA also has a nice grass runway and fuel.

If.weather pushes yu north:

Pelican Rapids, MN

A couple of others have crosswind runways.

KSWT and KCEK both have fuel and grass.

Wow, this is a great way to search!

Taking off tomorrow mid-day. I've decided not to try and land on turf crossing pavement unless it's a known airport. Flying a Pitts S-2B, so the bungees can take quite a bit, but there's not much clearance for the wheelpants.

Latest route: Tomorrow, HDE I75 DTG. Saturday, 14G P15 ITH.

Called ahead to 14G, and apparently they're having a fly-in on Saturday with hot dogs and a DC-3... :)

Looks like good flyin' weather!

I have lots and lots of suggestions for you, but it will take a while to get all the info together. :)

In the meantime, here are a few threads that might help you:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12659

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13828

I usually call the FBO ahead of time and ask them how smooth the transition is.

What kind of airplane will you be flying? Sorry if I missed it if you mentioned it.

Diana - your trip looks like it was too much fun! I'll have to imitate you someday and do a much longer loop.

Any last minute advice, having been there before? Kind of dreading later in the day when leg cramps set in!

Diana - your trip looks like it was too much fun! I'll have to imitate you someday and do a much longer loop.

Any last minute advice, having been there before? Kind of dreading later in the day when leg cramps set in!

I usually stop often to get out and stretch and walk around, plus I like to meet and visit with the characters in the small airports with grass strips. :) You may not have that kind of time on this trip, though. Plus, it might be hard for you to have lunch in the grass under your wing(s). :D I took a lot of MRE's with me, so I wasn't as worried about where my next meal would be. Except, I left one MRE unattended as it was absorbing the hot water at an airport in PA and the airport dog ate it when I wasn't looking. :D

If you have to divert south in Kansas, there are two cool airports just south and west of Kansas City. Gardner (K81) has two grass runways besides the paved runway, and fuel. Neat people there. Just south of that is Miami County (K34) where I fly often to meet friends for BBQ. It has a grass and a paved runway, and the transition over the paved runway is smooth. BBQ restaurant is on the field, but you might want to check the hours if you plan to eat there. Fuel available there, too.

Marshall, MO (MHL) has a nice grass strip and friendly line personnel, and a courtesy car, but the airport itself is unremarkable.

If you go a little north of your route in IA, the Amana Airport is right outside of a unique little town, the Amana Colonies with an interesting history. They don't have fuel, but it would make a good overnight stop. The B&B came to get me, but several are within walking distance, as well as some excellent German restaurants.

There are two very cool airports in Indiana that I would recommend. Glenndale (8I3) is a busy grass strip with fuel and very friendly people. If you land to the south, you have to watch for the power lines that are higher than usual. When I landed there, someone gave me a ride to town to eat...it was a long way, so it took a lot of time, which you may not have this trip.

Lee Bottom (64I) is a grass strip a bit south of your route. They don't usually have fuel unless it's at their huge annual fly-in. There is an adorable little cabin next to the runway...I stayed there one night. Very neat airport and people.

Lockhaven Airport (LHV) is a little bit south of your route in PA, but it is worth visiting if you have time someday. There is a grass runway parallel to the paved. It's the home of the Piper museum and they have a big Cub fly-in there every year. They also have fuel.

If I think of any more public airfields near your route, I'll post them before I leave town today.

Are you flying home along the same route?

Have a great trip and keep us posted on how it goes. :)

If you go a little north of your route in IA, the Amana Airport is right outside of a unique little town, the Amana Colonies with an interesting history. They don't have fuel, but it would make a good overnight stop. The B&B came to get me, but several are within walking distance, as well as some excellent German restaurants.

And if you want fuel, call ahead to Green Castle (IA24), they'll sell ya some (cheap, too) and you can land on the grass end of the runway. (The transition to pavement is so smooth you won't even feel it at all, it'll just get smoother when you get onto the pavement).

Normal life has a funny way of waiting for you with things to do when you come back after leaving it for a while :wink2:

The trip was a success! I was not able to land at all grass strips, but found quite a few.

Here's a quick summary:

Centennial, CO: APA - Home.

Holdrege, NE: HDE - Quiet field with a few cropdusters based there, landed on the turf strip. The entire way from Colorado to part of Iowa had a haze layer that smelled of burnt wood (forest fire?), all the way from the surface to 12,000'. Climbed above it to 13,500 for a while, but got tired of breathing hard and descended back into the haze.

Osceola, IA: I75 - Very deserted, pavement only with a self serve pump. A couple of kids were working on a car in one of the hangars, the younger one waved :) Nice facilities.

Dwight, IL: DTG - A small airfield positioned in the middle of vast fields of wind turbines. Has two runways 90 degrees apart, both turf but one has a tiny strip of asphalt if you prefer. David, the airport manager, heard I was coming in on the radio and met me on the ground - he lives across the street. He's managed the place since the 70's, and said back then there were 40 aircraft based there. Now it's rare to see one or two transients. David insisted on putting me in a hangar for the night for free, and drove me into town to the Super 8. While waiting for him to get his car a police officer stopped by, asked for an ID, asked what I was doing, and a number of other questions. It's good to see they care, but a little saddening that you can't enjoy an evening at a small airport without appearing suspicious enough to be interrogated.

The next morning I walked back from town, a bit over 2 miles but it was good to get a bit of exercise before sitting in a small cockpit for another day. Fueled up, they took a few pictures with me (I didn't think to take out my camera), and too off for Fremont, OH. Very nice people and a good price on fuel... I recommend a stop if you're in the area!

Fremont, OH: 14G - Fairly gusty winds, so I figured it'd be a safer bet to land on the paved runway into the wind. There was a gathering of airplanes and people that day to kick off a volunteer restoration of a DC-3 on the field. The airplane was very old and ratty, and smelled of mice and mildew. I don't think they intend to fly it, just to get the community involved in fixing it up as a display. Great to see this sort of thing happening. A free hotdog, lemonade, and lots of questions later I was on my way.

Pittsfield, PA: P15 - Skirting Cleveland's bravo, I was catching up with a warm front, and had to descend from a nice tailwind-capturing altitude of 11,500 to maybe 3,500 to stay under a layer. Brokenstraw airport is a very nice turf strip tucked between the hills of Pennsylvania. The area was very wet, but the runway seemed to be in good enough shape so I landed. Not a soul in sight. There's a self serve pump in the middle of the field, but upon shutting down and investigating, there was a note saying that only local credit cards would be accepted :confused: While strapping back in to go elsewhere, Bill the airfield's owner came by in a gator. He accepted cash for fuel, and I was soon on my way. I also learned that Tim Mara of Wings and Wheels soaring supplies flies from there...neat!

Ithaca, NY: ITH - Lower clouds on the final leg, but nowhere near scud-running; just not the clear flying from before. Accommodating folks at Taughannock Aviation had me in a hangar in short order.

Burlington, VT: BTV - A nice low 'n fast flight to Burlington south of the adirondacks and up Lake George and Champlain. Heritage flight is a good facility, albeit a bit on the expensive side and seem to think every plane is a biz-jet. They even laid out a red carpet [for a tube and fabric airplane]!

Returned to Ithaca for the rest of the week, but soon it was time to head west once again.

Salem, OH: 38D - Weather was spotty, but not terrible, so I launched with only a general area in mind. I flew the return trip a little more ad-hoc, and was even able to find some grass for the first stop! This strip is rough. I would have been better off landing on the parallel pavement. There was absolutely nobody around. Another aircraft landed, but taxied away into some T-Hangars. The self-serve fuel approached $6/gallon, which I can only imagine does wonders to spur on general aviation in the area :rolleyes2: There was no accessible restroom in sight, so with full fuel tanks and bladder I took off in search of better places to land.

Wabash, IN: IWA - This place as in great shape. Nice facilities, new ramps and runways. Nobody was there, but it was an easy stop.

Fort Madison, IA: FSW - Landed just before sunset. Foreflight had indicated there was a motel within 1/2 mile of the airport, so it seemed like a good place to stop. After tying down securing the airplane, I started the walk to town. Apparently there is no motel within that distance, and I was looking at a 3 mile walk to town...not bad considering it was a nice night. About two miles later the sun had set, and I was stopped by the local police (again!). Same drill: "ID?", "what are you doing here?", "people use that airport?!". This officer was a lot friendlier however, and ended up driving me to a hotel five miles away (the nearest one...heh). Took a cab back in the morning and set off for the last day of flying.

Manhattan, KS: MHK - Skirted a few thunderstorms on the way in. Good controllers, quick fuel, on to the next. Restricted area was cold so took off due west.

Goodland, KS: GLD - Last stop. "You here for fuel?" "Yep" "I've never seen a pitts stop without taking fuel!" Haha, he was right, small tanks. No self serve, but the price was dramatically cut by being a member of AOPA. Probably paid for this year's membership with that alone.

Lucky but unlucky footnote. A few days later at home airport, on taxiing out to go flying, cleared to take off and one of the mains had gone completely flat. Annoying, but good place to be!

A few pics:

The haze/smoke layer over Nebraska
1.jpg

Osceola, IA
2.jpg

Dwight, IL at sunset
3.jpg

4.jpg

Walking back from town
5.jpg

A storm over Ohio
6.jpg

Somewhere in Pennsylvania
7.jpg

Field + Mower + Ambition = This
8.jpg

Illinois
9.jpg

Turbines!
10.jpg

Turbines in progress
11.jpg

What a great trip! Salem, OH (38D) has a cool little grass runway, only a hop skip and a jump from BVI. Was that TBM 850 still piled up off the departure end of 28?

I stayed in Fremont, OH several months back in '02 on a temp job. They were talking about converting the -3 into a restaurant back then. Also, the T hangar across the runway from the FBO has an apartment built in. Had I known that I wouldn't have rented an apartment in town. I got checked out in a 172 there one Saturday thinking I would get some air time while in the area and then winter showed up. The check pilot was the FBO owner who flew PBYs in WWII. He later died in a crash of a C206. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Damschroder

I believe it was Allegheny Reservoir, just ENE of Brokenstraw (P15).

Back