Turbulence...how to get hurt in an aircraft

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd

Last edited:
If you've ever been injured in an aircraft it was probably related to turbulence (or catching your forehead on the flaps of a highwing while preflighting).
Nope, both times it was banging my head on the sodding video monitor that was hanging from ceiling near the lavatories!!!

Yabbut ---he's an aviation EXPERT!
;)

If you've ever been injured while seated in an aircraft it was probably related to turbulence (or catching your forehead on the flaps of a highwing while preflighting).

I realize it's been a while since I preflighted a high-wing, but how do you do it while seated in the aircraft?

I have a scar to prove you can hurt yourself while seated in an airplane. PA24-250 enroute from San Deigo to Palm Springs I was in the co pilot seat not flying. Severe turbulance after crossing the last ridge into PSP during a decent. With the seatbelt on I went thru the headliner and cut my head open on the door frame structure. It only lasted about 20-30 seconds but I get a reminder every morning when I comb my hair.

First Dual XC as a student in a C152. CFI Suggested always cinching down lap belts "Just in case."

I figured he meant a wreck.

We were just about to cross the first ridge northbound to Williamsport (Hi Ted!).

We were zipping along when suddenly the bottom fell out -- must have been a 20' drop.

CFI was rubbing his head after a good wallop on the ceiling.

I came close (I'm 6'1", so not much room in any direction in a C152) but did not impact.

Sometimes it's good to follow the same advice you give others!

I realize it's been a while since I preflighted a high-wing, but how do you do it while seated in the aircraft?

You don't. In fact, if you read carefully, the question never even arises. :wink2:

First Dual XC as a student in a C152. CFI Suggested always cinching down lap belts "Just in case."

I figured he meant a wreck.

We were just about to cross the first ridge northbound to Williamsport (Hi Ted!).

We were zipping along when suddenly the bottom fell out -- must have been a 20' drop.

Hi Dan!

Yep, that's why landing on runway 9 is the most interesting with winds out of the south. I make my students do that. Good practice for them.

Back