Turbulence altitudes

Does the chart reflect your experiences in GA?

• Total voters

Skyrys62

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Meet the Fokkers
I stumbled on the article below, and wondered if it seemed accurate based on your experiences as GA pilots.

"You are unlikely to hear any pilot complain when the air is glassy smooth. So, is there an altitude that yields the smoothest ride, on average? Of course, on any particular day, there's no easy answer; any altitude could create a smooth or rough ride. Some turbulence is highly predictable and others not so predictable, but the best approach is to remain outside of most clouds. So, it is very useful to qualify turbulence as in-cloud or out-of-cloud.

This chart from a study done by turbulence researchers at the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) shows the altitudes where moderate or greater (MOG) turbulence was reported in relation to being in or outside of clouds.

weathturb1.jpg

The red line represents those turbulence reports that were deemed to be in clear air or outside of the cloud boundary. And the cyan line represents turbulence reports that were identified as in-cloud. So it is easy to see that turbulence out-of-cloud is most frequent at upper and lower levels of the atmosphere while mid-level turbulence is often in-cloud.

Most of the out-of-cloud reports near the surface are likely due to mechanical turbulence or thermal turbulence. The out-of-cloud turbulence at higher altitudes is in clear air due to the effects of the jet stream. The mid-level turbulence is likely due to flight through cumuliform clouds not associated with deep, moist convection or thunderstorms.

So what's the best altitude to minimize your exposure to moderate or greater turbulence? Well, considering both in-cloud and out-of-cloud turbulence, flight between 8,000 and 12,000 feet will allow for the smoothest ride, on average."

There may be some question of how much traffic is at the upper altitudes, so that data may be skewed. My question is mostly focused on GA levels of probably 20k on down....and mostly 12k and down.

Cool, I love data like this

For GA altitudes (say up to 10-11K feet) generally if you can get above the cloud tops it usually smooths out. As mentioned, lower altitudes have thermals to deal with too. Always smoother on a overcast day.

A lot of variables every day so hard to state a definite altitude.

Last edited:
Depends where the mountains are, altitude above ground, time of day.... insufficient data for this chart to be of much use below the flight levels.

I think the chart makes it perfectly clear: If you experience turbulence near ground level - aim for the nearest cloud...

A skew-T chart any good for this? (I know that's not one, but it reminds me of one.)

Usually, I just do the "get above the clouds" thing.

What the heck is the x axis supposed to be?

Never paid much attention to weather I was in a cloud or not.

Dryden (Hugh, of NASA fame) published similar results (presented as probability of exceedance, not number experienced) to the out-of-cloud line back in the early '60's. ;)

Nauga,
and the more things change

I think the chart makes it perfectly clear: If you experience turbulence near ground level - aim for the nearest cloud...

As long as it's a cloud we don't call Fog. :D

It will be a very rough ride for a very short amount of time.

Back