TurboNormalizing popoff-valve question

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
OK, Turbo Alley's site says:

The engine is protected by a mechanical "pop-off" valve in the event of a serious over pressure from the turbocharger.

Question: If you do activate the mechanical pop-off valve, does it automatically reset once the manifold pressure drops to normal values, or are you now a "normally aspirated" operator until you find a mechanic? If the latter, then can s/he just reset the valve, or does it have to be replaced?

Troy (drooling over the idea of a B36TC with TAT's IO-550 conversion, neither of which I can't afford--YET)

Troy, it's nothing more than a plunger supported by a heat resistant spring. But if you overpressure for more than a couple of seconds, you need the top end looked at, scoped I would think. You're really busting metallurgical limits.

And sometimes they might not work..... so be careful.

Troy Whistman said:
OK, Turbo Alley's site says:

Question: If you do activate the mechanical pop-off valve, does it automatically reset once the manifold pressure drops to normal values, or are you now a "normally aspirated" operator until you find a mechanic? If the latter, then can s/he just reset the valve, or does it have to be replaced?

Troy (drooling over the idea of a B36TC with TAT's IO-550 conversion, neither of which I can't afford--YET)

Troy:

That's quite a plane you're drooling over. I seriously looked into one of these when I upgrade instead of fixing up my A-36TN. If you dig in you will find very few, if any, B-36 conversions for sale. Most folks that do this plan to keep them. If you purchase a B model with high time engines, you'll find the conversion is about $100,000. Then there is down time while it's done. If you look at how many B models Beech produced in a given year, there aren't a lot of B models out there (compared to As). One or two high engine time planes I found had other outdated stuff too. So, you'd pay in the 300s to begin, add 100,000 for the conversion (this is for a nice plane) and still have other upgrades.

Kind of steered me away. Don't rule out an A-36TN. Much more affordable, more choices and it fits in a normal size T hanger with room to walk around. You call also add tip tanks like mine and have an 1,100 mile range.

Best,

Dave S.

Back