Turbo Diesel Skylane

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
There is a company on ASO advertising refurbed Skylanes, with a new SMA turbo diesel engine.

They have one advertised. For $269K, you get a 1980 Skylane with 1500 hrs on the airframe, new paint, new interior, new windows, new exterior fiberglass, a new prop and governor, and a new 230 hp SMA Turbo Diesel engine with a bunch of new accessories. The engine is advertised as providing full horsepower to 10,000 feet, having a 3,000 hr TBO, and burning 6 gph at 65% power.

Judging from the pics the plane is a real beauty, and the price is lower than a new normally aspirated Skylane runs. Throw in the same King radios, autopilot, GPS, and MFD, and you would probably be looking at spending around the same as you would for for a brand new Skylane.

Edit: I just noticed that the plane comes with an new Garmin stack and STEC autopilot.

It seems to me that you also get to help them test their new engine.

So, is this a good deal?

Last edited:
I'd be a little worried about getting diesel fuel when you need it most. I've yet to see an airport that sells it - and a lot of airports around here are no where near a gas station.

I dunno tho.

NickDBrennan said:
I'd be a little worried about getting diesel fuel when you need it most. I've yet to see an airport that sells it - and a lot of airports around here are no where near a gas station.

I dunno tho.
You can use Jet A
These diesel engines run on anything - I read that you can even use Avgas for up to 4 hours during the engine life.
Stephen.

NickDBrennan said:

I dunno tho.

It actually burns, and is designed for, Jet A. If anything, even easier to find than avgas, and it will be around a lot longer than avgas will. Cheaper, too, but heavier.

I don't think it's a great deal because you can get a cherry, low time used Turbo 182 and then take a year or more off from your work with the money you didn't spend and fly it a whole big bunch.

Joe Williams said:
There is a company on ASO advertising refurbed Skylanes, with a new SMA turbo diesel engine.

They have one advertised. For $269K, you get a 1980 Skylane with 1500 hrs on the airframe, new paint, new interior, new windows, new exterior fiberglass, a new prop and governor, and a new 230 hp SMA Turbo Diesel engine with a bunch of new accessories. The engine is advertised as providing full horsepower to 10,000 feet, having a 3,000 hr TBO, and burning 6 gph at 65% power.

Judging from the pics the plane is a real beauty, and the price is lower than a new normally aspirated Skylane runs. Throw in the same King radios, autopilot, GPS, and MFD, and you would probably be looking at spending around the same as you would for for a brand new Skylane.

Edit: I just noticed that the plane comes with an new Garmin stack and STEC autopilot.

It seems to me that you also get to help them test their new engine.

So, is this a good deal?

Last edited:
If you operate outside of the USA, where 100ll is impossible to find in a lot of places, then it is a very good deal. Think of the guns you can run all over the Congo.

NickDBrennan said:

I dunno tho.

Diesel is a mans name, the engine he designed will run on anything frome HFO (heavy fuel oil, one step up from asphalt) to Naptha. Jet A falls comfortably in that range.

Back