Turbine engines for model aircraft...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
I've known about folks that built turbine powered model aircraft, finally found the link to a US distributor of engines. They've even got one for model helos...

http://www.jetcatusa.com/index.html

How much trouble you think someone who lives in the FRZ would get into if they made a fast turbine model.... :nono:

I've heard that there are folks with turbine waivers at DCRC, but I have not seen them fly in person.

Since those engines cost between $2000 and $5000 you may want to invest about $40 or less in two books that provide some basic theory and guidance on building your own model jet engines (and even if you don't, you may find the books interesting anyway):

Gas Turbine Engines for Model Aircraft by Kurt Schreckling
Model Jet Engines by Thomas Kamps

I have both books on my bookshelf and have read both of them. They seem to do a good job of making it seem like you could build (and design) one yourself with the right set of tools: a lathe at least 4.5 inches center height and 12 inches between centers, a MIG welder, drill press, and the usual hand metal working tools.

(Schreckling's book uses European conventions; e.g. 3.14159 is 3,14159)

You'll need a place to fly it. Most jet powered models do a buck fifty to 200mph. Need some open space.

Oh and you better know what you're doing or it will be the fastest $10k you've ever spent.

Do you have a HobbyTown near you?
www.hobbytown.com/

My understanding, from locals, is that their staff is trained to be similar to a model hobbyist FSDO of sorts and can lead you to whatever local requirements are to fly or coordinate flights and get you in contact with local model clubs

Back