Tundra vs standard tires

Huckster79

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Huckster79
I fly a 1947 Cessna 140. It has 8.00 on it now whic are in the TCDS but many have got approved for 8.5 tundra type tires.

I’ve done some aggressive moves to lighten my old gal… the 8.50 tundras weigh 10lb less than my 800s. - collectively.

I usually take off the pavement and land in the grass as the home airport but travel a fair amount in it so I do land pavement too.

how much less service life should I expect out of the smooth tire? Another 10lbs of weight loss is very tempting

You can put ABW Airstreaks on the 140,they have an STC. I put them on my Champ but they weigh about the same as the 8.00's. Like you I land on the grass at my airport but you know, it's not like a nice soft manicured turf runway, it's just the dirt and grass off to the side so honestly, it's probably not any less abrasive on the tundra tires than the asphalt. They are pretty darn expensive and while I do like them and they make landing on just about anything a sort of non-event I don't think I've ever been anywhere that the 8.00's wouldn't have been able to handle. When they do wear out meh... I don't know.

You can put ABW Airstreaks on the 140,they have an STC. I put them on my Champ but they weigh about the same as the 8.00's. Like you I land on the grass at my airport but you know, it's not like a nice soft manicured turf runway, it's just the dirt and grass off to the side so honestly, it's probably not any less abrasive on the tundra tires than the asphalt. They are pretty darn expensive and while I do like them and they make landing on just about anything a sort of non-event I don't think I've ever been anywhere that the 8.00's wouldn't have been able to handle. When they do wear out meh... I don't know.

for sure, I’m tempted by the 10lb weight reduction, the 800 is plenty of tire for my 140… I think it’s the right size for the 140 as it makes it look a bit beefier of a plane than the 600s but they don’t look grossly oversized. I just wasn’t sure how fast the smooth ones wear

A local pilot who has Alaskan Bushwheels on his Maule figures every pavement landing costs him $12. Of course those tires cost $3K each.

As the tire increases in diameter the braking decreases as well.

I’ll guess your original Goodyear brakes are long gone?

The Desser 8.50 aero classics are the ones you must be referring to. I had then on my Citabria and they made hundreds of pavement landings including lots of dual instruction. They were still on the plane when I sold it and had lots of life left. Great tire.

I have a set of AWB 26" air streaks for my experimental build. I know they will NOT last as long and are 22lbs(and $1200) each

As the tire increases in diameter the braking decreases as well.

I’ll guess your original Goodyear brakes are long gone?

yea those left decades ago…

The Desser 8.50 aero classics are the ones you must be referring to. I had then on my Citabria and they made hundreds of pavement landings including lots of dual instruction. They were still on the plane when I sold it and had lots of life left. Great tire.

I have a set of AWB 26" air streaks for my experimental build. I know they will NOT last as long and are 22lbs(and $1200) each

yes that is the tire I’m thinking of… that’s good to hear….

I have the 8.50 aero classics on my 170 and am based on pavement. They're 1.5 years old and tons of landings and still look great. Ditto another buddy that has a 120. They're a great tire.

thats fantastic! When mine need replacement this is the route I’m going to go! Maybe before for the weight savings

Back