Tug, robot, or 4 wheeler?

JD's have a lot of molded plastic parts. They stay pretty looking for a long time. My 25 year old JD has a new engine cover, guaranteed to last 20 more years. The shop dropped the old (beat to pieces) cover the last time I left it there for service. Oops.

The plastic was in remarkably good shape for being 20+ years old. The decals were in bad shape, but came off pretty easily. All it really needed was oil, filters, headlamps, spark plug, and battery plus cleaning out two decades of grass clippings.

Clear the prop and drive it out ... :D

For a taildragger, yeah. For a nosewheel airplane, you can use a winch to pull it in nose first for certain hangar configurations, but backing it out is still a challenge.

For a taildragger, yeah. For a nosewheel airplane, you can use a winch to pull it in nose first for certain hangar configurations, but backing it out is still a challenge.

I wasn't being serious. I saw a video some years ago of a plane started in the hangar that ended badly ...

Last edited:
I wasn't being serious. I seen a video some years ago of a plane started in the hangar that ended badly ...

Yeah, starting one in a hangar is a no-go for me. A friend did it once and the ensuing near-disaster* scared me enough that I'd never even consider it.

*His upper and lower cowls were sitting on the hangar floor about 20-30' away from the airplane. As he ran the motor, you could see the cowlings gradually begin to vibrate/creep towards the airplane because of the prop blast (or suction, in this case). 10 more seconds and I'd have been running for the door to avoid the shrapnel when the cowlings went through the prop.

I started a plane in a hangar once. It really cleaned out the cobwebs, I tell ya' whut.....

(C-150 and only at idle, 50X80 hangar with the big door open)

I use a Lil' Sherman for my 310. Works like a charm. A couple of planning considerations that made me decide against a mower include not having another engine to take care of, and the Lil Sherman's electric motor is quiet. I want to hear if I start to bend metal. I got it used from a fella on the Twin Cessna Flyer forum - paid about 25% of retail.

Reactions: YKA
Back