Tuesday, July 17, Training Log

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
6:05pm Can't wait any longer. Head to airport.
6:20pm Begin very careful and thorough preflight. Find myself caressing the plane lovingly, as I have missed her for so long. Followed by reviewing local procedures, etc.
6:45pm Message from CFI who is running a few minutes late. I hang out and get the thrill of watching two pairs of two warthogs come in to land in opposite directions only minutes apart.
7:10pm Instructor arrives. Doesn't like the look of the tires which are bald and appear overinflated. We decide not to practice landings, just to play it safe. File ADIZ plan for re-entry.
7:15pm Start engine. Stopped looking at watch every few minutes...

I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the skills and procedures came back. I was shaky but not inept, on the radio, and remembered the various calls well enough by rehearsing them before making the actual calls. I took my time on everything and was generally satisfied.

Departure was uneventful. Smooth and tranquil. The skies were perfect - calm and clear (although haze developed as the evening progressed) and we headed north to the practice area as I got the feel for the plane back.

We started with some clearing turns, and then slow flight and stalls. Power off first - not my best but satisfactory, and we went right into power on stalls, which we did two of, because I didn't get the nose down enough on the first one and tried to climb too soon. Then we did a couple steep turns (which made me a little disoriented, so I obviously need to work on those a bit more to get used to em again), and also some climbing and descending turns. I was pleased that I could hit my marks while chatting, distracted, etc. Again, not as clean and crisp as I once was, but within tolerances.

He checked my knowledge of the area. "Ok our airport is where?" "Over there (pointing)." "And you know that how?" "Cause I've been here a thousand times?" ;)

Then it was on with the hood for some refresher instrument work, and again I wasn't unhappy with that either. Heading and altitude holds and climbing and descending turns were all at standard rate. I did forget to check my compass periodically. Need to get that drilled back in.

Finally after about an hour it was time to head back. We made a base approach, per tower, and my approach was low but I made the proper corrections. I was a tad ground shy after all this time, and ended up flaring high, but I recognized it and added power enough to slow the descent rate, and then climb a bit, and then eased us down onto the runway. So I landed long (which at KMTN hardly matters) and couldn't make the first turnoff, but I did land us squarely on the mains, gently. Again, not my best, but not terrible.

Next week we'll be doing the BFR. :D

sweet. How long had it been since you last flew?

My last flight was in June of 2005.
You got me beat, pal!

Last time I flew an airplane was 7/7/2006.
Last time I flew a helicopter was Saturday!

I sold the remaining 1/3 share in the airplane last June, so there probably won't be any more fixed-wing hours...

Good for you to get back in the saddle!

Bob, I've been meaning to ask you ... is the seeing eye dog in the foreground of your avatar a required crewmember for IMC flights? :)

Great news, Chuck!! May be none of my business, but did you keep N9017H the whole time, or are you back to rentals now?

Either way, I'm glad you're back up in the skies again!

I kept my membership in the flying club so that I could keep access to N9107H. I love that bird. I missed her. :D

Chuck, welcome back to the party! I hope you can stay active this time.

Find myself caressing the plane lovingly, as I have missed her for so long.

Some might say there are doctors for that sort of thing, but A) there probably aren't, and B) I've done it too... especially AFTER a flight, as a "thank you".

Welcome back to the skies, Chuck!

Welcome back! I'm planning a trip from KHEF - PXT -W29 - KMTN Pretty soon. I Hear there are nice restaurants with awesome crab cakes. Got any suggestions??

Welcome back! I'm planning a trip from KHEF - PXT -W29 - KMTN Pretty soon. I Hear there are nice restaurants with awesome crab cakes. Got any suggestions??
First, don't land at PXT unless you've done all the paperwork for landing at a DoD installation, and you need a lot better reason than a $100 crab cake to get that permission. Second, there is a good crab house within walking distance of the ramp at W29 -- you can see it from the ramp. Third, there is nothing within walking distance of MTN, and I don't think they have courtesy cars, but there's a good crab house about a 10-minute drive down Eastern Avenue (right by the interchange with the beltway spur) if you can get someone to meet you.

Oh i'm not Going to land at PXT, just using that as a way-point to get me to the bay and to keep me clear of ADIZ, Transition echo, then i'm going to followthe bay up north.

Whats the name the place at bay bridge?

Going to see if I can get my bike to fit into the back seat.

Back