Tuesday airshow - Motorglider/Observation Plane, what was it?

nyoung

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan young
Hi All.

I was at OSH on Tuesday. Around 3pm, there was a warbird/tribute flight. It started with WWI Fokkers, then progressed to various other military aircraft, T-6s, T-28s, T-34s, C-47s, P-51s, and several different types of recon/liaison aircraft.

There were 3 burnt yellow motor-gliders flying in the recon pattern. I was not able to hear the name/type of these planes, nor their use. I have tried to Google it, but am coming up empty handed.

Did anybody happen to catch the type? I would like to learn more about it.

Thanks,
Nate

One of the Airforce Academy's SGM_2-37http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_SGM_2-37's made it to Kansas State University in Salina, KS. I checked out the director there and gave him his self-launch endorsement. There is another one in Tulsa, OK registered to TULSA TECHNOLOGY CENTER, Three in Detroit, MI at the TUSKEGEE AIRMEN NATIONAL HISTORICAL MUSEUM. LAKE AREA TECHNICAL INSTITUTE in Watertown, SD has one. The Airforce Academy is still showing ownership of 2 of them. Details at http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/
Dave McConeghey
1507 W. Browning Ct.
Andover, KS 67002-7508
Cell Phone 316-409-9624
Home Phone 316-733-8777
mcconeghey@gmail.com
http://members.cox.net/motorglider

I know that I'm a day late and a dollar short in this matter, but I just happened across this post. Those of you that said these were ex-Air Force motor gliders are correct. These are Schweizer SGM 2-37As that, in Air Force nomenclature are TG-7As. There were 12 produced, including the proof-of-concept prototype that Les Schweizer still flies as his personal aircraft. The Air Force lost two (one was a stall/spin in November 1985, The other....?? Les Schweizer just says "they were doing something they shouldn't have been.") Schweizer aircraft then produced two more aircraft that are out of number sequence and somewhat different than the others (two drains on the fuel tank, heavier, brake fluid reservior on the firewall rather than on the pedals...). Of the 9 aircraft retired, The Tuskegee Airmen Historical Museum operates three of them (N26AF, N39AF, and N763AF) for its youth programs, including Young Eagles. Yes, N763AF (and N764AF) are the later aircraft, with a military serial that begins with 84- rather than 82-. I don't know why they are attached to the 1984 year, when one wasn't lost until 1985, but that's the way the numbers are. Something in a budgeting thing I'm sure. As noted, the Air Force still shows two on the books at the FAA. According to one of our instructors, this may just be a bookkeeping error as the registrations appear to be from those aircraft that were lost.

I am not flying with the aircraft at Oshkosh, but several of our pilots are there and flying. We are also doing a number of other airshows in the midwest. Oshkosh is the furthest away, and we are selective, due to the VFR day and single 15 gallon fuel tank (14.2 gallons usable) configuration the Air Force specified, as well as the incredibly slow cruise speed. The combination of the long wings, which not only provide a lot of lift -but also a lot of drag, and the climb prop make cruising at higher rpms a pointless exercise. It's better to sit back and cruise at 2000 rpm and 85 mph (yes, mph) while burning 3.5-3.7 gph rather than at 2350 rpm at 105 mph with a fuel burn of 5.75 gph or more. Though they have dual instruments, due to its trainer role, we don't have an artificial horizon, a heading indicator or even a vertical card compass. Just basic instruments, engine instruments, a variometer and a single NAV/COM and transponder. Not so much as a cigarette lighter to plug anything else in either. The view, however, is tremendous. According to a retired Lt. Colonel who used to fly F-4s and now flies with me, it just feels and smells like the military aircraft it was. Nothing insulated, padded or extra -just the bare bones. Just remember though, it's NOT an airplane -it's a glider according to the FAA and you must have a glider rating with a self-launch endorsement. Oh, and despite it being a taildragger, you cannot get a tailwheel endorsement in it. After all, it's NOT an airplane! Most of us have our commercial glider rating so that we can do fundraising flights for the museum. Yes, we can fly as commercial pilots, even without a medical certificate (not even a "driver's license medical"), because it is a glider. There are no night restrictions (though these aircraft are only VFR day), altitude restrictions, weight restrictions (these aircraft gross 1,850 lbs.), airspace limitations... An interesting loophole.

Please feel free to contact me if you want any more information, or if you want to arrange a ride! BTW: As I said, these are the SGM 2-37A. Google the SA 2-37B. These are known as the RG-8A, a "reconnaisance glider." Yes, it's kind of a bargain basement U-2. You might find the pics interesting.

Back