Tucson to Fresno with no electrical system

Hambone

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Hambone
I’m planning a trip from home in Tucson, AZ to KGOO near Fresno, CA in my Baby Ace. I have no electrical system, and would like to avoid high-altitude terrain, extremely desolate areas, and excessive turbulence. I’d like to keep the legs <200 nm.

Is this even possible? Any recommendations and experience most welcome!

40 years ago, Pre GPS, I brought a new Piper from Vero Beach, north To Pennsylvania with No radios... followed the coast and I-95 and avoided complex airspace.

I did fly the Baby Ace from Macon, GA to Sweetwater, TX. But that was relatively flat, there was very little controlled airspace, plenty of airfields, and no mountains. I did tend to follow the interstate highways.

Despite having no electrical system, I do have a Sentry and iPad running ForeFlight. So I hopefully won’t get lost!

I did fly the Baby Ace from Macon, GA to Sweetwater, TX. But that was relatively flat, there was very little controlled airspace, plenty of airfields, and no mountains. I did tend to follow the interstate highways.

Despite having no electrical system, I do have a Sentry and iPad running ForeFlight. So I hopefully won’t get lost!
have plenty of batteries ? :)

have plenty of batteries ? :)
The Sentry has a built-in rechargeable battery that’s good for 10 hours, and I plug the iPad into a 20000 mAh powerbank. The ICOM handheld comm radio is good for a day on a charge.

offset interstates 10, 210, and 5 to stay between the airspace and the rocks?

sounds fun. my ace hurts just imagining your flight. :D

Look at V197 from WJF to BFL for a route through the last range of mountains before the Central Valley. There’s a short area of high terrain, then a wide descending canyon the empties into the Central Valley. Ample space to glide into level terrain. It’s a popular route, also be aware once you’re north of the mountains you’ll be near the approach corridor for BFL.

I think I’ll plan on following roads and civilization as much as possible. There’s some pretty desolate territory out there! It actually only adds about 100 nm to the whole trip.

Back