TSO, PMA, STC, 337, Field Approval, and Such

How can that be enforced? How does the FAA know who wrote in the box? be real world.
Real world is: How can the FAA enforce most anything? You know that. The FAA is, for the most part, reactionary, you can almost do anything as long as you document you did It correctly and nothing bad happens, nobody ever knows, nor does it matter. Even if something bad happens, if you document that you did It correctly, the FAA does what? You know.

Last edited:
Yes several times, the Stewarts system of fabric covering had a very few aircraft on the application list.

Funny you should mention CAR-3 ("C3"). I decided to try and find out what happened when we went from C3 to 14CFR23 and there is a definite lack of information on that transition. And trying to find out what particular aircraft are certificated under C3 and which are 23 is nearly impossible.

Let me give you an example. I've got a 1958 C-182A. Nowhere in the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) does it mention which of these two sections this particular airplane rolled out of Wichita with. Cessna website is worthless. Old wives' tales abound. But hard data is damn near impossible to come by. Anybody got a point?

Just FYI, even the Feds have written a report stating that aircraft built to C3 are sturdier than those built to 23. That's interesting. I also found out why 12,500 is the split between "little" and "big" aircraft. More on that later.

Jim

I too would like to know more details about that transition from CAR3 to 14CFR23. My 1946 Stinson 108-1 is STILL CAR3 certified as per the CoA and POH. Also there is NO WAY, that Stinson could ever meet Part 23 standards.

My take is it seems CAR 3 presented the requirements in a different manner.

The “ Installing Agency” was left to do the determination.

One of my few encounters was with an oversized tire installation.

“ Tire must fit the wheel and be of acceptable load carrying ability “ is my

recollection.

CAR 3 aircraft have stood the “ Test of Time”.

I too would like to know more details about that transition from CAR3 to 14CFR23. My 1946 Stinson 108-1 is STILL CAR3 certified as per the CoA and POH. Also there is NO WAY, that Stinson could ever meet Part 23 standards.

The TCDS provides the certification basis. Once an aircraft design is certified under one basis, there is no process to retroactively certify it under another basis. Your Stinson certification basis will be CAR3 forever. However, when different models and variants are approved after a regulation change, their certification basis will change. For example, here is the TCDS certification basis for the Champ and Citabria:

Citabria TCDS.PNG

Back