TSIO 360 @ 1800 hours -> next steps?

jp222

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jp222
POA Folks, I own a 1982 Mooney M20K 231 with a TCM TSIO360LB (was Factory Reman installed in 1994 as part of Mobile One oil problem)
Engine Time: 1800 hours. Using Qt of oil every 4 hours (at higher altitudes - burns up to 2.5 Qts in 4 hours). Plenty of oil in the belly.

I'm based in Palo Alto, CA - can anyone suggest a shop for overhauls where you've had a good experience?

Thanks!

Welcome to POA, I see this is your first post. I cannot help you, however, with your request. There are a few CA pilots that I know of on POA but I think they are all renters.

Looks like your current oil usage is acceptable to TCM so if all other perameters are to spec your engine is probably airworthy.

Now if you still want to O/H the engine I have no knowlage of local (to you) shops.

My experience with having work done in California would be fly it some where like Okalahoma where you can get it rebuilt reasonably and fly back home commercial to california till its done then go pick up. Including your plane ticket and gas I'm sure you would save thousands.

I agree that it might be faster and cheaper and better to not worry about "local", and ferry it to a shop that has a good reputation and availability (the two are often but not always mutually exclusive).

We've got a great shop in Maryland - Hagerstown Air Service.

+1 for Western Skyways; their reputation is excellent.

+1 for Western Skyways; their reputation is excellent.
Yup - the engine's in the test cell and should be back at my shop either Friday or next Monday for install.

Unless, of course, the FrankenKota gets its way (which it is right now). I'm parked in the coffin corner until the engine shows up.

New prop, new hoses, overhauled engine, new cylinders, new interior, new oil temp & pressure gauge....wow! almost a new airplane!!!

Yep, the TSIO-360MB-1 in my Mooney is a Western Skyways product. Things wear out...stuff breaks...but I've got no reason to complain about their workmanship.

Why overhaul it? Is there something wrong with it?

Overhauling based on hours makes no sense. Nobody except for GA does it anymore, and most experts agree that it does nothing but waste money.

-Felix

POA Folks, I own a 1982 Mooney M20K 231 with a TCM TSIO360LB (was Factory Reman installed in 1994 as part of Mobile One oil problem)
Engine Time: 1800 hours. Using Qt of oil every 4 hours (at higher altitudes - burns up to 2.5 Qts in 4 hours). Plenty of oil in the belly.

Overhauling based on hours makes no sense. Nobody except for GA does it anymore, and most experts agree that it does nothing but waste money.

-Felix

:dunno:

-Felix

Does coating the belly with oil present a problem? does it really meet its type design while doing that?

I'd find out why it is doing that and fix it.

My Reman TSIO360EB1B is actually fully hung and plumbed as of today....I have run 4 of these to TBO and at TBO there is not much left aside from a case and a crank....

Does coating the belly with oil present a problem? does it really meet its type design while doing that?

I'd find out why it is doing that and fix it.

Depending on how hard he's running it to burn that oil it does meet the data set forth by TCM, however it is a lot of oil on a high time engine. Do you spend the money to fix it but still end up staring an overhaul in the face soonish or do you just bite it and overhaul?

OP, you decide.

My Reman TSIO360EB1B is actually fully hung and plumbed as of today....I have run 4 of these to TBO and at TBO there is not much left aside from a case and a crank....

This is good operational experience

Depending on how hard he's running it to burn that oil it does meet the data set forth by TCM, however it is a lot of oil on a high time engine. Do you spend the money to fix it but still end up staring an overhaul in the face soonish or do you just bite it and overhaul?

OP, you decide.

Running it hard has nothing to do with the amount of oil it burns..

If it is pouring oil out the crankcase vent there is some thing wrong with the engine, find out what that is and fix it.

Who's building your engines?

Running it hard has nothing to do with the amount of oil it burns..

If it is pouring oil out the crankcase vent there is some thing wrong with the engine, find out what that is and fix it.

Does affect the TCM allowable oil comsumption however, it's given as a formula using the %power.

However you are correct that it should be noted where it's coming from, is it leaking, is it blowing by, what?

Does affect the TCM allowable oil consumption however, it's given as a formula using the %power.

No formula I ever saw told how much oil there could be on the belly.

However you are correct that it should be noted where it's coming from, is it leaking, is it blowing by, what?

The last IO-360 I saw spilling oil overboard, had a cracked case.

The last IO-360 I saw spilling oil overboard, had a cracked case.

Again, look and see.

Last two engines sliming bellies one had busted up and siezed rings but still met all aplicable requirements, but as we knew it shouldnt just blow that much oil out we topped it

The other is my 470, but it's seeping from every joint on the accesory case and adds up to about 1qt every 20 odd hours, but you'd never guess it was that little from the condition of my belly.

However if after checking it out no faults are found and TCM accepts the oil consumption rate:dunno:

I agree that it might be faster and cheaper and better to not worry about "local", and ferry it to a shop that has a good reputation and availability (the two are often but not always mutually exclusive).

We've got a great shop in Maryland - Hagerstown Air Service.

And Tim and I will ferry it back for you in exchange for commercial tickets...right Tim?:D

Back