TSA's New Ridiculous Plan

Seems like charter operators need to do some sort of screening- I can't say I've seen them do anything though- I just see the clients board & go (both in NJ and Nebraska)
That's because most of it is paperwork, training and procedure which might not be apparent to people on the ramp.

Last edited:
Can't you just envision some three hundred pound TSA agent standing on top of your wing so he can see across the tie down area, without having to walk all the way over there? (I have a low wing plane.)

It started with the airlines, now its for the medium size, next it will be every aircraft in GA. Like searching your car at the border, TSA agents will be completely unaccountable for any damage they cause to an aircraft.

John

Last edited:
There was once a time in America that our government bureaucracies were set up in order to assist Americans with their various problems. The people who worked for these agencies were commonly known as "Public Servants".

Somewhere along the line, these bureaucracies determined that they were more our masters than our servants. Then came 9-11, this confirmed it.

John

Without an immediate crisis to hang their hat on, bureaucracies such as TSA have to create a "need" in order to legitimize itself, in order to justify itself, and in order to grow. I have seen the war on drugs become big business for law enforcement using the same type of tactics. If this goes, there will be a lot of people profiting from it. The government will be handing out plenty of grant money to get it going, and then to keep it going.

Last edited:
The war on drugs is one that is impossible to win, it just flat out can not be done. Millions of government officials, employees, and subcontractors earn their living from it. To win this war and cut off income to all those people would have to great of an impact on our economy. This does not include the impact it would have on the billions of dollars being sent to the various banana republics south of our border.

The war on terror can not possibly be won for the exact same reason. This particular war has also given our government sweeping new powers over the populace of this country. There is no way in heck, that they would give this up. Bin ladden or whatever his name is could turn himself in, all Muslim combatants could declare publicly that the war is over and also turn themselves in, it would not mean a thing. The only change would be more government agents would be hired to help in the desperate search for a new threat against our country. Way too many people and companies depend on these two "wars" to ever let them end.

John

Last edited:
The war on drugs is one that is impossible to win, it just flat out can not be done. Millions of government officials, employees, and subcontractors earn their living from it. To win this war and cut off income to all those people would have to great of an impact on our economy. This does not include the impact it would have on the billions of dollars being sent to the various banana republics south of our border.

The war on terror can not possibly be won for the exact same reason. This particular war has also given our government sweeping new powers over the populace of this country. There is no way in heck, that they would give this up. Bin ladden or whatever his name is could turn himself in, all Muslim combatants could declare publicly that the war is over and also turn themselves in, it would not mean a thing. The only change would be more government agents would be hired to help in the desperate search for a new threat against our country. Way too many people and companies depend on these two "wars" to ever let them end.

John

You are right about that. No one in law enforcement thinks that they are ever going to win the war on drugs. Right now it is all about the money, the training, and the equipment that they can get from the Government, it isn't about drugs. You know what DARE is? It is one more officer on the force.

There is only one way to win the war on drugs, even schoolchildren understand the concept. They have to make them legal, all of em. This would automatically get rid of the huge financial incentives for the criminal element, and give all our government agencies, federal and local, a huge new tax base to draw from.

We have all had at least one member of our families succumb to drugs so most of us are very sensitive to this issue. It hit my family especially hard. I honestly believe legalizing all drugs would have probably prevented that, but I am not sure. I don't know if they would be sold in liquor stores or pharmacy's, but just the fact the user would have to make his purchase in public would probably dissuade more than a few. Much like the teenager making his first condom purchase.

If drugs were suddenly legalized, you would see a spike over present use for a while, much like after prohibition. Then usage would settle down to approximately ten percent of our population, much as it is now.

In the military, we had a theory that ten percent of any group of people are screw ups, expect it. I have never encountered a situation that makes me think otherwise.
For example, ten percent of all pilots are screw ups, think about that.

Nevertheless, this is all rhetoric. The war on drugs must not ever be won, way too many folks would be out of work. If a groundswell of support actually put this on a national ballot, you could expect the government to spend into the trillion dollar range to advertise against it. It could never pass.

As a side note: I do not drink, smoke, or use drugs. I have one cup of coffee per day, that's as close as I get to being wired.

John

Last edited:
That's not winning. That is complete surrender.

That is absolutely true, it is complete surrender. I guess we have to ask ourselves that after spending into the trillion....s? on the "war" are we getting anywhere with it?

Since this war was declared, drugs have become more plentiful and easier to find and purchase. We have made absolutely no progress whatsoever since the very beginning of it.

Granted, we do get to see some highly publicized drug seizures on the high seas and at our boarders but for every seizure, dozens get through. No matter how many people we incarcerate, there seems to be always someone stepping in to replace them. The reason is the huge amounts of money to be made in this trade. That money is being made on both sides in this war. Neither side wants to see it legalized.

Would the trillions of dollars be better spent on education rather than incarceration? They have tried that approach, but pretty much only in government speak. Much like the government program to stop teenage pregnancy. They have spent millions and millions of our tax dollars promoting abstinence to teenagers, no alternatives are offered. Like the war on drugs, they can not understand why teenagers are continuing to have sex??????

The hard reality is, kids are going to have sex, and idiots are going to continue using narcotics. Why? Because it feels really good, that's why. They would not be indulging if they didn't enjoy it so much, would they?

No amount of money spent on eradicating drugs from our society is going to accomplish that. Our only hope is education and offering viable alternatives. That will help to cut down on the numbers, but, in my opinion, drugs are here to stay. Like tobacco, eventually our population will figure it out on their own. As long as drugs are illegal, expensive, considered "cool" in more than a few circles, nothing will ever be accomplished.

John

Last edited:
You are right about that. No one in law enforcement thinks that they are ever going to win the war on drugs. Right now it is all about the money, the training, and the equipment that they can get from the Government, it isn't about drugs. You know what DARE is? It is one more officer on the force.

Or you can have the U.S. Attorney spend $12 million busting an actor who is seen using marijuana in movies, succeeding after trying over 20 times to get his son's company to sell bongs to the DEA head shop in PA illegally.
http://www.akatommychong.com/

Or you can have the U.S. Attorney spend $12 million busting an actor who is seen using marijuana in movies, succeeding after trying over 20 times to get his son's company to sell bongs to the DEA head shop in PA illegally.
http://www.akatommychong.com/

I didn't think selling bongs and pipes was an illegal act anymore, since they are marketed as tobacco products...

I didn't think selling bongs and pipes was an illegal act anymore, since they are marketed as tobacco products...

You should see the movie. Sales of paraphernalia are illegal in Iowa, NE(?), and PA. Ashcroft's finest set up shop in PA and called over 20 times to get the Chong's company to sell to them. They were refused even after harranging endlessly that they have a tobacco license, checked the laws and were OK, etc. In the end they said they'd come to the warehouse in California to buy in person. The company agreed. Then the buyers finagled to have the stuff they bought shipped to PA and that got 'em. :mad3:

The AG busted 55 people. Only Tommy Chong, who had no priors, got prison time, even though some of the others had records.

Ok- the TSA ain't going away. Too much money invested in it. Any ideas on how to keep it from getting more into the local FBO?

Ok- the TSA ain't going away. Too much money invested in it. Any ideas on how to keep it from getting more into the local FBO?

That is one great question, I doubt if it could be done. The American people have proved beyond a doubt that they will gladly trade their freedom for security. The government is now on a role, and we gave them our blessing, it is just a matter of time.

John

Last edited:
The 2nd amendment??

Hehehe! That's a good one.
In regards to TSA attempting to get their hands on general aviation aircraft

It would seem that in this case the only other option would be to call/write your congressman/woman, or representative, or senators and let them know that you don't want this legislation passed. If enough people got onboard with this than it just might prevent this from passing. You just have to actively participate in this great country of ours process, no matter how laboriously it may seem sometimes. It can actually work.

Here are some quotes from a really good article about this new legislation from generalaviationnews.com
Check this article out:

"Industry estimates are that more than 15,000 aircraft, 10,000 operators and 300 airports will be impacted by the 67-page proposal."

"Senators and Representatives also can be reached by calling 202-224-3121 and asking for a specific Congressman. Upon being connected to the office, ask for the legislative assistant in charge of transportation issues."

Back