TSA traumatizes 3 year old...

Maybe I am acting in ignorance but I don't see a whole lot wrong. A 3 year old kid is of course going to say things she doesn't mean when something scary or unusual happens. Her wheel chair would have been inspected anywhere else there is security and a metal detector. Yes I understand that a scared kid is not good for anybody but there are some sick people out there that will hide things in the strangest places. If I was in a wheel chair, I would be expecting them to take a good look at it. The TSA can get out of order but in my opinion, this wasn't it. I think the fact the kid was crying is why this was a big deal. I've been singled out before with computers and electronics, why is this any different?

Two problems: trying to deny the parents the right to video tape the incident, and refusing to return the child's toy after it had been scanned. That's theft IMHO.

I will be flying with my son next week for the first time. I hope I don't punch someone...

One amazing thing is the TSA apologized. Usually those useless idiots claim they were following procedure and act as if they do no wrong.

Maybe I am acting in ignorance but I don't see a whole lot wrong. A 3 year old kid is of course going to say things she doesn't mean when something scary or unusual happens. Her wheel chair would have been inspected anywhere else there is security and a metal detector. Yes I understand that a scared kid is not good for anybody but there are some sick people out there that will hide things in the strangest places. If I was in a wheel chair, I would be expecting them to take a good look at it. The TSA can get out of order but in my opinion, this wasn't it. I think the fact the kid was crying is why this was a big deal. I've been singled out before with computers and electronics, why is this any different?

I would have no issue boarding the plane with the child. Don't subject children that sort of treatment on my behalf. I'd fly with you too, don't think you're doing me any favors by quietly complying after being singled out.

On a side note, I saw an article the other day that a survey showed that 30% of Americans would be OK with a cavity search in order to fly.

On a side note, I saw an article the other day that a survey showed that 30% of Americans would be OK with a cavity search in order to fly.

You mean this article? http://www.infowars.com/poll-nearly...ccept-tsa-body-cavity-search-in-order-to-fly/

Pretty scary stats - one saving grace is that it was only 15% that were completely willing. The choices were:

Completely willing: 15%
Somewhat willing: 15%
Somewhat unwilling: 17%
Completely unwilling: 41%
Don't know: 14%
(Rounding causes a total of 102%)

Other saving grace is that it was an online survey and it isn't clear how they selected and vetted their samples.

You mean this article? http://www.infowars.com/poll-nearly...ccept-tsa-body-cavity-search-in-order-to-fly/

Pretty scary stats - one saving grace is that it was only 15% that were completely willing. The choices were:

Completely willing: 15%
Somewhat willing: 15%
Somewhat unwilling: 17%
Completely unwilling: 41%
Don't know: 14%
(Rounding causes a total of 102%)

Other saving grace is that it was an online survey and it isn't clear how they selected and vetted their samples.

Yeah, that's it.

Two issues....first, when someone gets hired by the TSA, is their common sense automatically deleted? Next, I realize the TSA, like far too many govt agencies, invoked the classic knee-jerk reaction to photographs, but someone high up needs to understand that there are situations, such as this one, where a photograph is reasonable.

The TSA has had far too many publicized events where actions by TSA screeners both on and off the job were criminal offenses. Either the TSA gets its act together and performs useful background checks or accept the consequences that there are travelers that will not tolerate the stupidity.

More important, isn't there anyone at the TSA PR department that understands how stupid it looks when something like this happens, and tries to provide some sort of common sense training? Even just to call a supervisor (as if that's an improvement...)

I have the distinct impression that the local school where I volunteer did a better background check, and all they wanted was my drivers license. I assume it only checks Colorado felonies & misdemeanors, and not other states. But even for CAP, it was an FBI check on the fingerprints. We won't mention what I've gone thru for various tickets...

I like that "saving grace" means "59% of people were not completely opposed to having their rectums probed as a condition of air travel"

I like that "saving grace" means "59% of people were not completely opposed to having their rectums probed as a condition of air travel"

I wonder: If TSA put up a line just for cavity searches, and it was completely voluntary, how many of those people would submit? They would probably say that it makes them feel safer.

I wonder: If TSA put up a line just for cavity searches, and it was completely voluntary, how many of those people would submit? They would probably say that it makes them feel safer.

Some might go just for the fun of it. :hairraise:

Bunch of fraking morons. The chairman of the House Aviation subcommittee needs be taken to task. He was the father of the TSA. John Mica.

We can hope the sequester happens and they furlough the TSA ;)

I would have no issue boarding the plane with the child. Don't subject children that sort of treatment on my behalf. I'd fly with you too, don't think you're doing me any favors by quietly complying after being singled out.

The same 30% that doesn't know what a cavity search is???

Hmm... Infowars article and a survey that says 30% of Americans are cool with cavity searches. Seems ligit. /sarcasm

But yes, the TSA is ridiculous. The truth is if we went back to pre 9/11 security we wouldn't be at that much greater of a risk. It's all just there to make people feel like the government is in control and can keep them totally safe.... which is of course impossible.

Hmm... Infowars article and a survey that says 30% of Americans are cool with cavity searches. Seems ligit. /sarcasm

But yes, the TSA is ridiculous. The truth is if we went back to pre 9/11 security we wouldn't be at that much greater of a risk. It's all just there to make people feel like the government is in control and can keep them totally safe.... which is of course impossible.

Agreed...... Window dressing to the tune of tens of Billions of dollars..:mad2::mad2::mad:

It seems to me that the TSA agents has become the most hated group in this country since tax collectors, Nazi's, meter maids, and islamic terrorist groups.

It seems to me that the TSA agents has become the most hated group in this country since tax collectors, Nazi's, meter maids, and islamic terrorist groups.

Yeah........... They are hated..:yes:

And it is self inflicted...:yesnod::mad2:

Man, am I glad the new list came out and car salesman aren't on it this year! :rofl::rofl:

The same 30% that doesn't know what a cavity search is???

Or perhaps they thought "body cavity search" was some sort of dental exam? In any case, the article has this at the very end, under "methodology":

"This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated."

In other words the survey is statistical junk.

Back