TSA to dump backscatter X-Rays

Wonder how much that fiasco has cost us! But, glad they are gone, lots of hassle for no benefit.

Gary

I think if you read between the lines, they're dropping one manufacturer for refusing to say the machines are 100% safe.

They'll find another vendor who'll lie.

They are still keeping the other non-xray machine. Since I don't know one from the other, I will still decline every time, go through the magetometer and get groped. :mad:

They are still keeping the other non-xray machine. Since I don't know one from the other, I will still decline every time, go through the magetometer and get groped. :mad:

If it has a glass enclosure and you see a mechanism that makes a quick sweep around the victim, that's the microwave scanner and is supposedly safe. If you don't see an moving parts, that's the X-ray machine and you (and the smurf next to it) have no idea what your exposure is. And the X-ray machines are the ones going away. Yay!

Now if I just didn't have to empty my pockets. Makes me feel like I'm off to have my Jeep serviced. For those who don't know, JEEP stands for Just Empty Every Pocket. :D

"Supposedly safe" is a long way from safe. Non-ionizing microwaves are nothing to sneeze at. I will never go through one because I've been working in the nuclear power field for many years, and have just about had my life time dose of ionizing radiation. More is not better.

Rather than proving that radiation via the microwave is not safe, I would say it's up to the feds to prove it is safe. Preferably with a 15-25 year study of animals that have been repeatedly exposed to microwave radiation.

I can see the future with a class action suit against the TSA/airlines for trillions of $$$ after it's found that microwave radiation 'contributes' to medical problems. Prolly will be started by disgruntled ex-TSA agents, and expanded to the gen pop later.

Back