TSA test...

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
Actually, the inspector was a tolerant, cheerful gentleman, in spite of it being 5:00 a.m., and my new backpack really trying his patience... 2 times thru the xray and 3 attempts to find that illusive swiss army knife that I forgot ...

got a new backpack for laptop and multitude of power cords, etc a while back that has numerous pockets, flaps, pouches and hidey-holes. After he pulled out half a dozen cords, power bricks, patch cords, usb cords, usb thumb drives and miscellaneous emergency travel pouches, he FINALLY found that last zipper pocket and the forgotten swiss army knife.... sorry, man - but thanks for your tolerance and patience.

BTW, had a good flight on SWA from DEN-SAN, first time on SWA for us - I'll fly them again.

So did they give you a voucher to grab a swiss army knife out of the TSA bin at your destination?

hey, now there's a cool idea! Have you seen some of the stuff on auction from TSA confiscation? Huge boxes of miscellaneous knifes...

BTW, what the heck is up with having to swab my CPAP now every trip? back on '05, I traveled every week the whole year and the CPAP never even got a second look. Now, 4 trips in a row that the CPAP gets singled out for the swab test...

Last edited:
Why don't they just start running nude flights for those who don't want to be bothered by all this TSA nonsense?

It could work, and might really speed things up. Everything would get checked into baggage, including the clothes the passengers are wearing. Then they simply file nude into the airplane (no need for searches if the passengers are nude) and collect their clothing at the other end.

Another option might be to hand every passenger a loaded .45 on their way on to the airplane. If everyone is armed, what chance does a terrorist have?

-Rich

Why don't they just start running nude flights for those who don't want to be bothered by all this TSA nonsense?
One of my favorite cartoons. Even more so because it came before the TSA (1996).

Attachments

• Airport Security.jpg
    Airport Security.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 87
Another option might be to hand every passenger a loaded .45 on their way on to the airplane. If everyone is armed, what chance does a terrorist have?

-Rich

That would probably lessen the chance of the plane full of passengers sitting for three hours also!

So did they give you a voucher to grab a swiss army knife out of the TSA bin at your destination?

Genious....I love that!!!

China has you covered if it was a lighter!

attachment.php
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18065&d=1261536344

Attachments

• shanghai-airport-confiscated-lighters.jpg
    shanghai-airport-confiscated-lighters.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 190

NO!NO!NO! :nono: Have you seen some of the people out there. I'm not about to sit next to a nude 450 pounder who is overflowing onto my seat.

I guess it could work if there was a weight limit or something...

This is a much better idea. There should be a "Safe Traveler" program that honors CWP from any state. Got a permit? Then fine, please carry on board. If you forget and leave your weapon at home, one will be provided for you! Shooting ranges could be opened adjacent to the concourse so you could get in a little training time while on a lay over or if a flight is delayed.

Think of all the money that would be saved by eliminating TSA! Of course then we'd need a public jobs program to help out all the newly unemployed TSA folks 'cause everyone knows they couldn't hold a job in the commercial sector. Maybe the mall cop force could be doubled or something...

Wow, that useless agency actually found something? Surprising!

They notice my hotel shampoo bottles and my 9 oz contact lens solution in my bag maybe 5% of the time. Usually never if I put my backpack in upside down....

BTW, what the heck is up with having to swab my CPAP now every trip? back on '05, I traveled every week the whole year and the CPAP never even got a second look. Now, 4 trips in a row that the CPAP gets singled out for the swab test...
My guess is they got some sort of intel that someone would try to smuggle something on board in a CPAP because they weren't checking them. Either that, or someone in TSA was brainstorming what they hadn't been swabbing which was big enough to contain a threat, and came up with CPAP's. Keep in mind that TSA has folks locked up in little rooms all day trying to come up with new ways for someone to defeat their security, and then plug the hole before al-Qaiada comes up with the same idea.

Yeah, CPAP is Constant Positive Air Pressure medical device for treating Sleep Apnea ... basically a little box with a computer controlled fan, air hose, etc ... pretty innocuous.

Here's mine:
PRBYGK420GUS.jpg

For some dumb reason the TSA has declared by policy that all CPAP machines need to be swabbed. Not so for other electronics, like laptops.

There's probably an ADA (or medical) issue there somewhere that an adroit litigator could raise, but until something like the nipple ring case arises it's not likely to happen.

I used to carry my Leatherman in my backpack all the time.

Post 9/11, I was flying and was sitting in the Dallas Airport on a layover and was watching another passenger struggle to open a bag of chips that was in a thick thick paper package. The paper was really hard to tear.

Being the good samaritan I am, I thought automatically, "Oh, I'll just pull out my Leatherman and help her by cutting a slit in the bag." At the same time I picked up my backpack to my lap. As soon as I set it down in my lap, I realized I was in an airport, and shouldn't have had my Leatherman on me. Out of curiosity, I unzipped that pocket and yup, there it was. I was on the final leg of a round-robin trip, so I passed through hyper paranoid security at least 3 times with a 3 inch straight blade and a 3 inch serrated blade, an awl, and a file in my backpack. I slowly closed that zipper and kept my mouth shut.

Poor lady never got her bag of chips opened.

--Carlos V.

you also had a pair of needle nose pliers, too!! :yikes: You never know what a pair of needle nose pliers can to to a B737...:eek::D

I Out of curiosity, I unzipped that pocket and yup, there it was. I was on the final leg of a round-robin trip, so I passed through hyper paranoid security at least 3 times with a 3 inch straight blade and a 3 inch serrated blade, an awl, and a file in my backpack. I slowly closed that zipper and kept my mouth shut.

I flew commercially at least monthly, and sometimes weekly, for over 20 years (I no longer do, thank God).

Shortly after 9/11 and the fomation of the TSA I was going though security and, as ususual, threw all the stuff out of my pockets into the basket. It dawned when I tossed my money clip into the basket that it was also a pocket knife. I got that money clip from a vendor for christmas and had alread flown with it at least 1/2 dozen times...hadn't really thought about it until that day.

So, it's now a challenge. How long will it take them to find it? I flew with that money clip for over a year before someone finally confiscated it.

Back