TSA Sticky Fingers

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
The court ruled unanimously that TSA was wrong to include the cost of screening non-passengers, such as greeters and sightseers, in its security-costs estimates.

I've have yet to go to an airport where the TSA allows anyone other than staff or ticketed passengers to go through screening. I once almost missed a flight from Omaha because I had 2 boarding passes for the second leg of a trip and no initial boarding pass- wouldn't let me through.

If they were charging airlines for these people, yes- the airlines were being scammed.

I've have yet to go to an airport where the TSA allows anyone other than staff or ticketed passengers to go through screening. I once almost missed a flight from Omaha because I had 2 boarding passes for the second leg of a trip and no initial boarding pass- wouldn't let me through.

If they were charging airlines for these people, yes- the airlines were being scammed.

Never mind the scam that is the TSA to begin with. "We decree: Your passengers can't get to you without going through us, braving our ever-changing, draconian rules, and hoping we don't steal stuff out of their bags. We won't guarantee any level of service, or provide any greater protection than what you used to get, but we will wear pretty scary blue shirts and badges so we can pretend to be cops and bully people who just want to go to work or on vaccation. In the name of National Security, you must pay us now, or this we have decreed!"

Gee why are we bashing TSA? I mean since they have come on the scene we have not had a single terrorist event involving an airliner. Isn't that the new measurement of success?

Gee why are we bashing TSA? I mean since they have come on the scene we have not had a single terrorist event involving an airliner. Isn't that the new measurement of success?

I think Cheney was just laying the ground work for the "I told you so"'s if something happens, but it was in regards to letting Al Qaida terrists leave Gitmo and wander freely through the U.S.A.

The aggravation is if some hood gets through security instead of saying the TSA failed to do the job they get to say "See? We need to be able give a CAT scan to every citizen traveling while we still let random people onto the tarmac to work!"

Last edited:
I
The aggravation is if some hood gets through security instead of saying the TSA failed to the job they get to say "See? We need to be able give a CAT scan to every citizen traveling while we still let random people onto the tarmac to work!"

EXACTLY! You know it will happen. F&$^#ing TSA!

I'm at LAX.

They have a machine here to read boarding passes. If the BP doesn't have one of the new-fangled bar codes (not the kind they used to have), you go back to the counter, you do not pass go, you do not collect $200.

And they have to use their magic light on each and every ID,even a passport where the hologram is visible. I should have presented my Clear card just to annoy them.

ID <> security.

The aggravation is if some hood gets through security instead of saying the TSA failed to the job they get to say "See? We need to be able give a CAT scan to every citizen traveling while we still let random people onto the tarmac to work!"

Or let said random people bring their girlfiends to visit random passenger aircraft for unspecified reasons. (DTW a couple months ago).

It's been my experience that the TSA has been far more professional
and cordial since they came on the scene than the stupid, arrogant,
people I used to have to deal with prior. Admittedly .. the only place
I ever go is Miami. I go there several times a year and can't recall one
instance of ever being treated in anything but a friendly, professional
manner. The screeners really have no part in establishing all the stupid
rules we have to abide by .. such as toiletries in little baggies.

RT

Anybody visited the TSA website? What a load of self-serving crap, with a heavy dose of acronyms. Someone at TSA must get paid by the acronym. Ugh, an out of control bureaucracy. I think it has reached critical mass and will now envelope everything and everything in its path.

We haven't had a single meteor induced global disaster since the writing of the Declaration of Independence either.

> TSA ... since they have come on the scene we have not had a single
> terrorist event

I guess prisoner rehabilitation works ... since Nelson Mandela hasn't (yet) reoffended.

Anybody visited the TSA website? What a load of self-serving crap, with a heavy dose of acronyms. Someone at TSA must get paid by the acronym. Ugh, an out of control bureaucracy. I think it has reached critical mass and will now envelope everything and everything in its path.

Yes, I have. And you are correct, it is revolting.

What surprises me is that an airport operator may opt out of TSA and use private contractors to do their passenger screening. I've never been to an airport that does this, though it presents an alternative to TSA overcharges.

Jon

IME, at some airports (*hack* *Cough* BWI *hack*) the TSA folks have the same attitude as the para-military cops that invaded the home in PG County Maryland and shot the dogs. At a different airport, I saw a TSA screener emptying a passenger's wallet and inspecting (reading) each card and piece of paper in it.

DHS has made TSA into a general dragnet. With no accountability.

But they are warriors on the front lines of America's war on terror!!:rolleyes::mad3:

THey consider themselves "heros" because they're "fighting the war on terror" for us.

One even said so on the TV show....

Hey, I'm not the one doing the comparing...
Sorry, the fact that you're the one who posted it without saying it was a quote made me think you were saying it, though I did suspect that it was tongue in cheek. Where on earth did they actually say that?:dunno: (It wasn't in the originally quoted article; I went back to check.)

And in other TSA news, TSA at my little airport (KPUW), which has a couple of Horizon flights a day, has now banned "Dash", the airport cat. This cat hung out in the passenger area, greeting all comers. According to the airport manager, out of 150,000 pax who passed through there in the last 4 years, only 2 complained. I guess TSA decided it was a security risk. And it wasn't even a Persian.

Judy

I for one feel much safer with the TSA at the airport. After all its not like they are convicted felons or anything. What is going to be even better is when they are going to know when you are leaving and returning the country in the future. Don't be surprised when you get home and your house has been robbed.

Sorry, the fact that you're the one who posted it without saying it was a quote made me think you were saying it, though I did suspect that it was tongue in cheek. Where on earth did they actually say that?:dunno: (It wasn't in the originally quoted article; I went back to check.)

I think it was in the Orlando Sentinel for some reason; maybe it was the WSJ. I remember reading an article about the great TSA, and some jacka$$ TSA dude actually said that.

I think it was in the Orlando Sentinel for some reason; maybe it was the WSJ. I remember reading an article about the great TSA, and some jacka$$ TSA dude actually said that.

I'm honestly surprised they don't have it somewhere on the organization's website. Or on a banner in the airport.

IME, those who think they're heroes usually aren't, and those who are seldom believe it.

And in other TSA news, TSA at my little airport (KPUW), which has a couple of Horizon flights a day, has now banned "Dash", the airport cat. This cat hung out in the passenger area, greeting all comers. According to the airport manager, out of 150,000 pax who passed through there in the last 4 years, only 2 complained. I guess TSA decided it was a security risk. And it wasn't even a Persian.

Judy

You've got to be kidding. I like that cat.

Okay, how the hell is a *CAT* a security risk?!?!?

And since I can't fathom how a cat is a security risk, how does the TSA have any authority over the issue? I can see airport management getting allergy complaints from pax, but come on.

The terrorists have to be laughing their asses off at us. But that's what the Terrorist Slapstick Administration is really for, right?

Back