TSA: Resistance is Futile

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I have said people will role over on this and nothing will change. The CBS Poll stated that 4/5 people do not mind these intrusive searches and some of the responses have been that they had yet to encounter the new pat downs. But on Monday these were the types of responses that people were verbalizing about these new procedures:

"Whatever keeps the country safe, I just don't have a problem with," Leah Martin, 50, of Houston, said as she waited to go through security at the Atlanta airport.

Gehno Sanchez, a 38-year-old from San Francisco who works in marketing, said he doesn't mind the full-body scans. "I mean, they may make you feel like a criminal for a minute, but I'd rather do that than someone touching me," he said.

Jeannine St. Amand got a pat-down in front of her husband and two children. The 45-year-old from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, figured she got one because the underwire of her bra tripped the metal detector. "It's hard to remember all the restrictions. Next time, I'll wear a different bra," she said.
She opted to have the pat-down in public rather than private and said it was professional and done by a female agent.
"She tells you ahead of time what she is going to do, which is a good thing because that could be awkward," St. Amand said.

Most who don't like the screenings just grumble but don't really cause a big fuss, at least not that Cris Soulia, a TSA officer in San Diego and president of a local union, has heard or seen.

Baaaaaaaaahhhh baaaahhhhh

http://www.nwherald.com/2010/11/23/tsa-chief-resisting-scanners-just-means-delays/a2ovrr1/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/22/john-pistole-tsa-chief-pl_n_787277.html

I have said people will role over on this and nothing will change. The CBS Poll stated that 4/5 people do not mind these intrusive searches and some of the responses have been that they had yet to encounter the new pat downs. But on Monday these were the types of responses that people were verbalizing about these new procedures:

I keep hearing about this 81% that don't mind, but I keep running into the 19% that do. I guess it is a very vocal minority. I'm wondering if there will be a followup poll next week that actually gets responses from people who've been through the system. I'm not going to place any bets on how much the poll numbers will change.

I keep hearing about this 81% that don't mind, but I keep running into the 19% that do. I guess it is a very vocal minority. I'm wondering if there will be a followup poll next week that actually gets responses from people who've been through the system. I'm not going to place any bets on how much the poll numbers will change.
Wishful thinking on your and mine part I think.

A new poll came out yesterday.

The results are that 66% think the scanners are a good idea
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/22/AR2010112205514.html

And last night on the Los Angeles local news, all (about 11 parents) of those interviewed said they wouldn't change their behavior in how they supervise their children at a sports event. Some even said they don't mind lil Juan running around out of sight of the parents. This in response to the boy who fell 50 feet at a NBA game.

Very scientific that poll.

Wishful thinking on your and mine part I think.

A new poll came out yesterday.

The results are that 66% think the scanners are a good idea
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/22/AR2010112205514.html

But the support of the "law-enforcement pat-downs" (as Napolitano puts it) is less than 50%. That's encouraging.

Wish they'd asked opinions of the 4th and 14th Amendments, though I suspect that the great majority wouldn't even know what they were.

But the support of the "law-enforcement pat-downs" (as Napolitano puts it) is less than 50%. That's encouraging.

Wish they'd asked opinions of the 4th and 14th Amendments, though I suspect that the great majority wouldn't even know what they were.

Count me as someone who doesn't know the amendments by number.

In school I would invariably get some multi-guess questions wrong because I didn't know the name of a "law" (e.g., Boyle's law) but knew the equation and how to use it.

I wonder how many of the 80% or 67% or whatever the current poll numbers are people that actually fly and have to endure this crap.

I wonder how many of the 80% or 67% or whatever the current poll numbers are people that actually fly and have to endure this crap.
I think that is key. The majority that support this stuff probably only fly once or twice a year. They do not feel the heat being raised nor have to deal with this crapola several times a month.

First they came after the pilots, who are such a small minority that the government could pretty much do whatever it wanted and no one would care. Now it comes after those who fly on airliners with an frequency. Such are a larger minority than pilots, but still small enough that non-flyers give scant attention to their plight. I wonder who they'll go after next.

First they came after the pilots, who are such a small minority that the government could pretty much do whatever it wanted and no one would care. Now it comes after those who fly on airliners with an frequency. Such are a larger minority than pilots, but still small enough that non-flyers give scant attention to their plight. I wonder who they'll go after next.

Fulltimers. It's getting more and more difficult to not have a fixed address. I am unable to renew my license plates in colorado next year without proof of a physical fixed address for at least 6 months.

Fulltimers. It's getting more and more difficult to not have a fixed address. I am unable to renew my license plates in colorado next year without proof of a physical fixed address for at least 6 months.

Cool. Is this some weird Catch 22. You can't register, but they'll try to ticket you for not being registered. Its a little odd that Colorado doesn't want you property taxes and the registration fee.

Cool. Is this some weird Catch 22. You can't register, but they'll try to ticket you for not being registered. Its a little odd that Colorado doesn't want you property taxes and the registration fee.

If they don't want my money, that's their problem, not mine. I'm done and rolling on to cheaper more cooperative states.
They: "Move along, you're not wanted here anymore."
We: "Ok. No problem. See ya."

If they don't want my money, that's their problem, not mine. I'm done and rolling on to cheaper more cooperative states.
They: "Move along, you're not wanted here anymore."
We: "Ok. No problem. See ya."

A lot of rvers registering in SD nowadays

The people that are ok with the pat down or screening, say it is due to the need for security. Would these same people be ok with the police searching every Ryder truck they see, after all it was a Ryder truck that was involved in the Oklahoma city bombing. Then if they are ok with that would they be ok with the police searching every car they stop, 1993 was a car bomb if I remember correctly. There are reasons police need probable cause to search a vehicle. I think it should be the same for the TSA to be able to search a person.

Vee haf ways of tracking down you nonconformists.

Another example: My neighbor bought her house by writing a check. She absolutely could not find a real estate agent able to understand that the maximum price she was going to pay was not theoretical.

Some guy just posted this on my online soapbox site:

Soapbox Ranter said:
On 2010-11-26 11:12:42 NYC Time, Johnny H stepped up onto the Soapbox and proclaimed:
I got selected and opted out, and got to get "patted down!"

I have to admit, it was actually kind of enjoyable. I think the TSA guy liked me. I was going to give him my phone number to see if we could get together again when I got home. He was kinda cute.

Made me chuckle.

-Rich

Some guy just posted this on my online soapbox site:

Made me chuckle.

-Rich

It made me chuckle too. I kind of have that "what the heck" attitude about things. At least I try to keep my humor. I said in one of the many other threads on the subject that I am going to do the body scanner and ask for a screen shot of me in the scanner. I doubt that I can get one, but it would be neat to have. Maybe I could get one of my wife. :thumbsup:

It made me chuckle too. I kind of have that "what the heck" attitude about things. At least I try to keep my humor. I said in one of the many other threads on the subject that I am going to do the body scanner and ask for a screen shot of me in the scanner. I doubt that I can get one, but it would be neat to have. Maybe I could get one of my wife. :thumbsup:

eh, allegedly these can't be saved/promulgated. Allegedly, of course.

I have said people will role over on this and nothing will change.
As predicted the NOOD amounted to nothing, news has basically died on the topic as we have now moved on to WikiLeaks and other topics, people are sucking it up and this is the new norm.

In the past we heard things like 'Give me liberty or give me death.' Today's society is only capable of screaming 'don't touch my junk' and then getting back to worrying if Howard Stern will renew his contract at Sirius. We are doomed.

As predicted the NOOD amounted to nothing, news has basically died on the topic as we have now moved on to WikiLeaks and other topics, people are sucking it up and this is the new norm.

In the past we heard things like 'Give me liberty or give me death.' Today's society is only capable of screaming 'don't touch my junk' and then getting back to worrying if Howard Stern will renew his contract at Sirius. We are doomed.

Give me liberty or ...oooh donuts!

Cake or death?
Hmmm, I'll have cake please.

I took two commercial flights this weekend, covering Long Island, NY and Fort Lauderdale, FL. Neither one I even saw body scanners.

I did see an old lady getting a pat down in Long Island, but she looked pretty feeble. It may have been a manual search because she was in a wheelchair, which I believe is normal procedure still.

It would be nice if the problem just goes away (i.e. they stop using them entirely), but somehow I doubt it.

It would be nice if the problem just goes away (i.e. they stop using them entirely), but somehow I doubt it.

I am afraid that isn't going to happen. But Pistole did commit to not going so far as to doing cavity searches.

I am afraid that isn't going to happen. But Pistole did commit to not going so far as to doing cavity searches.
He's lying. They said a few years ago (was it last year?) that the AIT scanners would never be used as the primary screening tool. That wasn't true for long....

The way this is going, they'll just prohibit flight. entirely. The problem will solve itself when people say that no, they will no longer tolerate it and ticket sales plummet.

He said, "...no plans at this time," which means the TSA has actually discussed doing rectal probes at some point in the future.

You're going to have a much more challenging job if don't they exempt the crew, Greg.

You're going to have a much more challenging job if don't they exempt the crew, Greg.

It's real difficult to do your job when you don't have one:hairraise:...caused by the effects of those who seek to control the masses. Will it come to that? Right now I say "no" but reserve the right to change my mind at any time. :dunno:

Who knew that TSA also wouldn't like it if you did strip to make the search easier?

A serious question is how the TSA maroons are qualified to determine that you can get out of the wheelchair and walk through the scanner. Maybe they get training from Oral Roberts?

Last edited:
Back