TSA PreCheck PIREP

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Completed my paperwork through GOES last month, and had my CBP interview today in the International Arrivals area of DFW's terminal D. I now have my Global Entry certification, and once my plastic card arrives in the mail my business travel security hassles stateside should ease somewhat; the TSA PreCheck program allows you to bypass the 'take your shoes off, take computer and fluids out, millimeter wave' line and just have your bag x-rayed and a step through a metal detector, at certain gates and for certain airlines. It's a pilot program, currently only offered at the following:

• Atlanta: T-South Checkpoint (Delta only)
• Dallas: Terminal C, Checkpoint C30 (American only)
• Detroit: Checkpoint 2 on the ticketing level (Delta only)
• Miami: D2 Checkpoint (American only)
• Minneapolis-St. Paul: Lindbergh Terminal, Checkpoint 4 (American and Delta)
• Las Vegas: D Gates First Class Checkpoint (American and Delta)
• Los Angeles: TSA Pre✓™ screening lane (American only)
• COMING SOON: JFK (American Airlines)

This also gets me into their GlobalEntry program, so I can do quick kiosk-based screening on reentry to the US, and use the crew line through Customs. $100 fee, good for 5 years ($20/year). If you travel a lot and use the airports and airlines that participate, I think it's worthwhile.

For me, I fly out of DFW almost every trip... so, if I park in the C-terminal near gate 30, I can expedite security and ride the security-side tram around to whatever terminal I'm flying out of. It'll make it easier to remember where I parked my truck, too, as I'll always be somewhere near C-30.

All in all, I thought it was an easy experience. The in-person interview was the biggest "hassle", but the 2-hour parking at DFW's terminal D, level 1, made that about as painless as could be, too, and the CBP officer that interviewed me was pleasant and expeditious.

More info:

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...n#TSA_Precheck_Program_.28Trusted_Traveler.29

I've always felt that US citizens with DOD/DOE/other security clearances over a certain level should not have to go thru the hassles of the interview, etc. in order to get the plastic card.

Silly me. It makes too much sense, right?

I had to get an FBI check on my fingerprints recently. I had the same check not long before because I was working at the USAF Academy. But the DOD & the FBI aren't allowed to share info. In fact, parts of the DOD aren't allowed to share with other parts of the DOD.

WAPITA.

You do have to register the Global Entry number with each airline that's participating. The airlines then pick you on a flight by flight basis. It's random. I'm batting zero at DFW. The TSA supe at DFW says that 50% overall is extremely good. And at DFW, you've still got to stand in the Priorty Access line with everyone else to even find out if you get the short screening. LAX is supposed to be better.

Oh, and it apparently doesn't work if there are ANY international flights in your PNR (and based on my experience, even if you travel internationally frequently you won't get selected for the expedited screening).

I've always felt that US citizens with DOD/DOE/other security clearances over a certain level should not have to go thru the hassles of the interview, etc. in order to get the plastic card.

Silly me. It makes too much sense, right?

I had to get an FBI check on my fingerprints recently. I had the same check not long before because I was working at the USAF Academy. But the DOD & the FBI aren't allowed to share info. In fact, parts of the DOD aren't allowed to share with other parts of the DOD.

WAPITA.

Yep, but I will say that CPB is exemplary in the way they're executing this program. My interview last summer lasted 20 minutes, most of which was a video describing how to use the kiosks, informing you about what you can and can't do, etc. Fingerprints are taken as are photos (biometric identification that the kiosk uses to ID you). A few questions about travel patterns & things on your form.

Really pretty easy.

BTW, you don't need the plastic card EXCEPT for land crossings from Cananda or Mexico. At airports (for Customs/Immigration stuff) you use your passport. For TSA you don't need to carry the card at all.

You do have to register the Global Entry number with each airline that's participating. The airlines then pick you on a flight by flight basis. It's random. I'm batting zero at DFW. The TSA supe at DFW says that 50% overall is extremely good. And at DFW, you've still got to stand in the Priorty Access line with everyone else to even find out if you get the short screening. LAX is supposed to be better.

Oh, and it apparently doesn't work if there are ANY international flights in your PNR (and based on my experience, even if you travel internationally frequently you won't get selected for the expedited screening).

Yep, but I will say that CPB is exemplary in the way they're executing this program. My interview last summer lasted 20 minutes, most of which was a video describing how to use the kiosks, informing you about what you can and can't do, etc. Fingerprints are taken as are photos (biometric identification that the kiosk uses to ID you). A few questions about travel patterns & things on your form.

Really pretty easy.

BTW, you don't need the plastic card EXCEPT for land crossings from Cananda or Mexico. At airports (for Customs/Immigration stuff) you use your passport. For TSA you don't need to carry the card at all.

Interesting stuff. Nowhere in anything I read or was told up to this point did I know that it was random if I'd get to USE the expedited screening... I've registered my PASS ID with American Airlines. I've read that my boarding pass barcode will "tell" TSA that I'm in the program. True? CBP guy still said I'd need to show my plastic card AND government photo id at the TSA screening; you're saying the plastic card's not used at TSA checkpoints?

Interesting stuff. Nowhere in anything I read or was told up to this point did I know that it was random if I'd get to USE the expedited screening...

Yep, random. Based on the PassID and your travel history sent by the airline, and some other stuff. It's like credit scoring, the Global Entry is only the admission ticket. Travel to the Middle East? Don't expect to be give access to expedited screening.
I've registered my PASS ID with American Airlines. I've read that my boarding pass barcode will "tell" TSA that I'm in the program. True?

It will tell the TSA that you've been approved for the expedited entry. Remember the "secure flight" program where the airline sends your info to TSA and TSA gives them permission to issue a boarding pass? The TSA sends back a code that says "expedited screening" and that's put in the bar code. But there are no visible indications that you've been given permission for expedited screening.
CBP guy still said I'd need to show my plastic card AND government photo id at the TSA screening; you're saying the plastic card's not used at TSA checkpoints?

Nope, the plastic card is not used at the checkpoints. The barcode tells the TSA alll they need to know (remember some folks have access to the program based on airline status & are not part of GE). The card is SUPPOSED to be acceptable as your picture ID, but in true TSA fashion many of their screeners don't know what it is (and therefore refuse to accept it).

The US government used to trust me with nuclear weapons and sensitive intelligence information above Top Secret. Now they won't trust me with a pair or pliers. Go figure. :dunno: It is what it is, and unless Congress changes it, all we can do is try to change Congress. But to be honest, if Congress is going to do only one aviation thing for me this year, I'd rather it be stopping user fees than changing airline security rules. I mean, which way would you rather travel?

Completed my paperwork through GOES last month, and had my CBP interview today in the International Arrivals area of DFW's terminal D. I now have my Global Entry certification, and once my plastic card arrives in the mail my business travel security hassles stateside should ease somewhat; the TSA PreCheck program allows you to bypass the 'take your shoes off, take computer and fluids out, millimeter wave' line and just have your bag x-rayed and a step through a metal detector, at certain gates and for certain airlines. It's a pilot program, currently only offered at the following:

• Atlanta: T-South Checkpoint (Delta only)
• Dallas: Terminal C, Checkpoint C30 (American only)
• Detroit: Checkpoint 2 on the ticketing level (Delta only)
• Miami: D2 Checkpoint (American only)
• Minneapolis-St. Paul: Lindbergh Terminal, Checkpoint 4 (American and Delta)
• Las Vegas: D Gates First Class Checkpoint (American and Delta)
• Los Angeles: TSA Pre✓™ screening lane (American only)
• COMING SOON: JFK (American Airlines)

This also gets me into their GlobalEntry program, so I can do quick kiosk-based screening on reentry to the US, and use the crew line through Customs. $100 fee, good for 5 years ($20/year). If you travel a lot and use the airports and airlines that participate, I think it's worthwhile.

For me, I fly out of DFW almost every trip... so, if I park in the C-terminal near gate 30, I can expedite security and ride the security-side tram around to whatever terminal I'm flying out of. It'll make it easier to remember where I parked my truck, too, as I'll always be somewhere near C-30.

All in all, I thought it was an easy experience. The in-person interview was the biggest "hassle", but the 2-hour parking at DFW's terminal D, level 1, made that about as painless as could be, too, and the CBP officer that interviewed me was pleasant and expeditious.

More info:

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transp...n#TSA_Precheck_Program_.28Trusted_Traveler.29

Let me know when you fly to SFO again. That was fun.

Also, when are we going to have the eyeball scanners?

Back