TSA Pre-Check

#ThreadDriftBelow

Disclaimer: I have an Amex (two, actually).

But... Annual fee is $450 for the consumer Platinum card from Amex. That gets you a free $85 or $100 credit every 5 years for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry fees. Hmmm. Spend $2250 ($450 x 5) to save $85-100. Math Fail.

What else does the $450/year provide that makes that a bargain?

This is my favorite card, well worth the $450 to me, but I use it almost everyday. Some of the benefits I'm aware of, although I'm sure there are more...

-Free full rental vehicle coverage in most non-third world countries
-Reimbursement for up to $250 per year for any airline fees
-Travel insurance
-Baggage insurance
-No foreign transaction fees (this is huge for me, HUGE)
-AMEX platinum airport lounge access (big help in places like Mumbai)
-Transferrable points one for one to other points or FF programs
-Purchase protection (replaces items stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase)
-Extended warranty (additional one year warranty on a lot of purchased products)
-Product return protection

This is my favorite card, well worth the $450 to me, but I use it almost everyday. Some of the benefits I'm aware of, although I'm sure there are more...

-Free full rental vehicle coverage in most non-third world countries
-Reimbursement for up to $250 per year for any airline fees
-Travel insurance
-Baggage insurance
-No foreign transaction fees (this is huge for me, HUGE)
-AMEX platinum airport lounge access (big help in places like Mumbai)
-Transferrable points one for one to other points or FF programs
-Purchase protection (replaces items stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase)
-Extended warranty (additional one year warranty on a lot of purchased products)
-Product return protection

Many of those benefits are available on other cards without a fee, or with a much lower fee. For example, my Marriott Rewards Visa offers most of them, with the exception of airline fee reimbursement and airport lounge access. Notably, it also does not charge foreign transaction fees, which is a benefit that seems to be rare these days. The Marriott card is issued through Chase with an $85 annual fee, but it also provides an annual voucher for a one night stay that is often worth at least that much. It also provides a chip (though only chip and signature), which I suspect most US-issued cards will provide by the end of the year.

With that being said, if I were a frequent global traveler, I'd probably want a card not tied to a particular brand. The Marriott card works well for me because there are usually Marriotts where I travel, my company prefers that I use them, and I prefer them because I can reliably book a property which does not allow pets.

JKG

Last edited:
Super secret advice: if you have precheck on your boboarding pass, pick whichever line is shorter. When you get to the front of the line, show the TSA the precheck logo and you won't have to do the security theater in the normal lines either.

Super secret advice: if you have precheck on your boboarding pass, pick whichever line is shorter. When you get to the front of the line, show the TSA the precheck logo and you won't have to do the security theater in the normal lines either.

That's all well-and-good, but a shorter line for the sheeple might take longer to process than a longer PreCheck line.

Sitting in Chicago ORD right now, B17. Went through the routine today and I paid more attention.

I'm on Lufthansa today, so this is in Terminal 1. The check-in desk didn't even take 2 minutes, but for the rest who were waiting in the other line it looked to be at least a 15 minute wait.

If you don't know ORD well, there is a wide multi-lane checkpoint in the middle of the check-in area for all travelers, and then smaller ones on either side of the check-in area with two lanes: one for priority (business, first, etc) and one for TSA PreCheck. I went through the priority lane, parallel to the TSA PreCheck.

There more more people in the PreCheck lane than in the priority lane. But what was really interesting is out of the 6 or 7 I watched go through PreCheck, two took off their shoes, two were asked to remove their computers and liquids from their bags, and one did both, plus removed a belt and a coat. Does this always happen? I was under the impression if you did get the PreCheck, you didn't have to do anything. And I've never paid enough attention to recognize it before. Are you also under random screening in TSA PreCheck?

I went through the priority lane with only a handful people in front of me, all moving very well today, and it didn't even take 5 minutes. I was out and moving along before the guy who was parallel to me in the PreCheck lane was.

Edit: And as I just posted this, CNN is on the TV behind me talking about increasing security at US airports. The ONLY increased security that was visible (key word here...visible) to me was the people in PreCheck taking stuff out and dressing down. Don't know if it's any relation or not.

Last edited:
There more more people in the PreCheck lane than in the priority lane. But what was really interesting is out of the 6 or 7 I watched go through PreCheck, two took off their shoes, two were asked to remove their computers and liquids from their bags, and one did both, plus removed a belt and a coat. Does this always happen? I was under the impression if you did get the PreCheck, you didn't have to do anything. And I've never paid enough attention to recognize it before. Are you also under random screening in TSA PreCheck?

The only time I've seen people in PreCheck removing things they ought not is when people that haven't paid for the privilege get "randomly selected" to take the PreCheck line (which irks me, and defeats the purpose, if you ask me--you paid, and went through a background check!), and thus, as normal sheeple line folks, think they have to do the whole "remove my items, take off my shoes" routine.

Are you sure they were ASKED to do it, and weren't just doing their "as usual" routine?

Sitting in Chicago ORD right now, B17. Went through the routine today and I paid more attention.

I'm on Lufthansa today, so this is in Terminal 1. The check-in desk didn't even take 2 minutes, but for the rest who were waiting in the other line it looked to be at least a 15 minute wait.

If you don't know ORD well, there is a wide multi-lane checkpoint in the middle of the check-in area for all travelers, and then smaller ones on either side of the check-in area with two lanes: one for priority (business, first, etc) and one for TSA PreCheck. I went through the priority lane, parallel to the TSA PreCheck.

I went through the priority lane with only a handful people in front of me, all moving very well today, and it didn't even take 5 minutes. I was out and moving along before the guy who was parallel to me in the PreCheck lane was.

Edit: And as I just posted this, CNN is on the TV behind me talking about increasing security at US airports. The ONLY increased security that was visible (key word here...visible) to me was the people in PreCheck taking stuff out and dressing down. Don't know if it's any relation or not.
My experience: if you trip the metal detector, you do the dance. Are you sure they didn't trip the metal detector?

Soon there will be no more regular lines, only multiple "pre-check" lines and a "suspected terrorist" line with a mandatory body cavity search. Some POAers like to make a political stand so they'll be in the later just on principle.:)

Or maybe we like it... :)

The only time I've seen people in PreCheck removing things they ought not is when people that haven't paid for the privilege get "randomly selected" to take the PreCheck line (which irks me, and defeats the purpose, if you ask me--you paid, and went through a background check!), and thus, as normal sheeple line folks, think they have to do the whole "remove my items, take off my shoes" routine.
The first time I got selected for pre-check, before I knew what it was, I started looking for a bin. The TSA guy said, no, you don't need a bin, you don't need to take anything off, just put your bags on the conveyor. I was pretty surprised.

Are you sure they were ASKED to do it, and weren't just doing their "as usual" routine?

I don't believe that there was anyone going through that didn't belong in that line. The screeners were sitting out front of both lanes, and you had to show your boarding pass to get in either the premier or the PreCheck.

There were two machines running at the PreCheck, and a TSA person on each assisting people with the usual stuff. Were they specifically asked to or just did it? I have no idea. But I would think that the TSA person would have told them to leave their things in place if it wasn't required. Then again...maybe that's too much...?

My experience: if you trip the metal detector, you do the dance. Are you sure they didn't trip the metal detector?

Could have happened, but I did not see anyone trip the detector and come back through on the PreCheck side.

The first time I got selected for pre-check, before I knew what it was, I started looking for a bin. The TSA guy said, no, you don't need a bin, you don't need to take anything off, just put your bags on the conveyor. I was pretty surprised.

My experience also. Another reason I was surprised at ORD today to see people emptying things and dressing down.

I was very tempted to snap a photo for everyone, but after the younger kid in front of me started an argument with the TSA person because they wouldn't let him in with only his school ID, I figured better not try it.

Young Kid: "But in Jersey, all the airports allow me with this student ID!"

TSA Guy: "You don't have a federal or state issued ID, you've got no paper boarding pass, and you've got no luggage. Sorry, but I can't let you in unless you produce some federal or state issued identification."

Kid starts an argument with some very non flattering words and comments, clearly not helping himself. Oh well. Train station is downstairs kid, Amtrak heads out every few hours eastbound. Good luck, hope they take your school ID.

I read this thread this morning and I did the pre-enrollment on my home computer. Found a place that had lots of openings the rest of the week so I decided to try a walk-in today. Waited for 15 minutes, 5 minute interview (paid on my AMEX) and on my way. Painless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read this thread this morning and I did the pre-enrollment on my home computer. Found a place that had lots of openings the rest of the week so I decided to try a walk-in today. Waited for 15 minutes, 5 minute interview (paid on my AMEX) and on my way. Painless!

Did you do the Global Entry, or another version?

Did you do the Global Entry, or another version?

I didn't see any reference to global entry but wasn't concerned about it since I've only used my passport for foreign travel once.

But what was really interesting is out of the 6 or 7 I watched go through PreCheck, two took off their shoes, two were asked to remove their computers and liquids from their bags, and one did both, plus removed a belt and a coat. Does this always happen? I was under the impression if you did get the PreCheck, you didn't have to do anything. And I've never paid enough attention to recognize it before. Are you also under random screening in TSA PreCheck?

Yes, it happens all the time. They now include random passengers to the pre-check line, but nobody tells the passengers how to go through the pre-check line. They have been so conditioned to strip down and bend over that they just automatically do it even when they're told not to.

I try to avoid getting irritated at them and remember that they're only causing me to take 3 minutes to get through the line instead of 2.

I did the per-enrollment stuff online and had the in-person portion of the TSA PreCheck yesterday. Took all of 5 minutes (and $85). They scanned my passport, took my fingerprints, and I was on my way. I wouldn't have minded doing GE, but there isn't even a location to do so in Oklahoma, so that was a no-go unless I wanted to schedule a long layover at a participating airport during one of my trips. I only run to Canada a time or two per year, so there's not a whole lot of advantage to it at the moment.

Yes, it happens all the time. They now include random passengers to the pre-check line, but nobody tells the passengers how to go through the pre-check line. They have been so conditioned to strip down and bend over that they just automatically do it even when they're told not to.

I try to avoid getting irritated at them and remember that they're only causing me to take 3 minutes to get through the line instead of 2.

I was told yesterday by my interviewer that the practice of having random passengers get pre on their boarding pass is ending soon.

#ThreadDriftBelow

Disclaimer: I have an Amex (two, actually).

But... Annual fee is $450 for the consumer Platinum card from Amex. That gets you a free $85 or $100 credit every 5 years for TSA PreCheck or Global Entry fees. Hmmm. Spend $2250 ($450 x 5) to save $85-100. Math Fail.

What else does the $450/year provide that makes that a bargain?

They also cover the first $200 in fees charged by the airline you select each year
Automatic membership in the higher tiers of various hotel, rent a car, etc frequent customer programs,
Entry into most airlines club lounges on the day of travel on that airline..

It goes on, but those are the ones that cinch it for me. I do not fly enough to make it worth buying a club membership ($325/year and up), but I fly enough it is quite nice to use the lounges.

Not too mention, their concierge travel service is a nice thing to have when all h*ll breaks loose while I am out of town...

Just my $0.02 worth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was told yesterday by my interviewer that the practice of having random passengers get pre on their boarding pass is ending soon.

So, it's really marketing. Nice move, FedGov. I'll be signing up.

They're mapping the herd. Your face is logged in their computer database along with your fingerprints. Now not only is Big Brother watching, but that know who they're watching. And nobody yelled about their civil liberties being violated. And we paid them to do it! Pretty smart. Add e-passports and enhanced driver licenses into the mix, too.

Last edited:
They're mapping the herd. Your face is logged in their computer database along with your fingerprints. Now not only is Big Brother watching, but that know who they're watching. And nobody yelled about their civil liberties being violated. And we paid them to do it! Pretty smart. Add e-passports and enhanced driver licenses into the mix, too.

Lol, well with security clearances and other items in the past, they already had that on me, so I'm just trying to take up more of their hard drive space. :D

Lol, well with security clearances and other items in the past, they already had that on me, so I'm just trying to take up more of their hard drive space. :D
I was about to say this. Add to that the fact that they now keep my DNA on file (updated annually), and I'm about as identifiable as you can get. :lol:

I wonder if the FBI flags you at some point if your fingerprints come for checks more than 1/x weeks. There was a time the gal at the police department who does the prints started to recognize me.

I was about to say this. Add to that the fact that they now keep my DNA on file (updated annually), and I'm about as identifiable as you can get. :lol:

They update your DNA ? Do they think you are some kind of mutant life form ?

They update your DNA ? Do they think you are some kind of mutant life form ?
Not exactly sure why they do that, but when I go through CRC prior to deploying for another year, they always take another vial of blood for storage in the DNA vaults. Even though I always tell them that they already have my DNA on file. :mad2:

The real reason: vampires at the very highest levels of government.

Not exactly sure why they do that, but when I go through CRC prior to deploying for another year, they always take another vial of blood for storage in the DNA vaults. Even though I always tell them that they already have my DNA on file. :mad2:

It's a bit sad to think about why they need your DNA in the first place.

Just another reason why army guys have such morbid senses of humor. :yesnod:

Had my first DNA draw in 1999 prior to deploying to TF Hawk for Kosovo Campaign. I had to walk across the hall and get stuck again for routine blood work ten minutes later. Gotta love Army logic. Glad to be retired now.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

I wonder if the FBI flags you at some point if your fingerprints come for checks more than 1/x weeks. There was a time the gal at the police department who does the prints started to recognize me.

Haven't been printed that much! There are a few gate agents/TSA agents who recognize me at Tulsa Int'l, but it's not exactly the highest-volume airport so it's expected.

There are a few gate agents/TSA agents who recognize me at Tulsa Int'l, but it's not exactly the highest-volume airport so it's expected.

A long time ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth and the airlines did their own gate screening, I commuted on southwest between Hartford and Baltimore. Southwest had 1 gates and 1 checkpoint manned by 3 bored Wackenhut rent-a-cops. I left work at 4 for a 5pm flight, with the drive/park routine and some traffic, I would usually make it to the gate about a minute before door close. After a couple of months I had my 1 man trusted traveler program and they just waved me through when I came sprinting down the corridor (funny enough, sept 11th didn't change that setup for the longest time).

Yeah - after all the times I've been checked out for clearances and other security checks, I figure they've got a big file on me that all says the same thing over and over again.

The real reason: vampires at the very highest levels of government.

They probably store the blood, they don't purify the DNA and run the fingerprint. Hence the need to annually take new, lest the old sample is too degraded for an analysis. DNA purification and fingerprinting costs money, and they won't run it unless they need it.

They probably store the blood, they don't purify the DNA and run the fingerprint. Hence the need to annually take new, lest the old sample is too degraded for an analysis. DNA purification and fingerprinting costs money, and they won't run it unless they need it.
That makes way too much sense to be true. Vampires, bro. Vampires.

I got my known traveler number today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got my known traveler number today.

Make sure to put it on your profile with whatever site you use to book and confirm that it uploads with the secure-flight datablock.

Used GlobalEntry twice in the last two weeks (Ottawa and Dulles). Works as advertised.

It took under two weeks for my PreChek to come alive. You can prod at the DHS site to look up your "forgotten" KTN and mine showed up in about 10 days. It took another week to get the official letter but I put my KTN in to United and my boarding passes all were marked PreChek well before the letter arrived.

It took under two weeks for my PreChek to come alive. You can prod at the DHS site to look up your "forgotten" KTN and mine showed up in about 10 days. It took another week to get the official letter but I put my KTN in to United and my boarding passes all were marked PreChek well before the letter arrived.
Perfect. I have an appointment at a TSA office during a layover while en route from overseas to home to do my interview. I'll only have a couple weeks before I need to be on a flight out again, so the timing works well for me.

Back