TSA & Commercial Flights

Mike Schneider

Pre-Flight
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
What do you think would happen if I wore my running shoes, that you can clearly see "gel" thru clear plastic in the heel? The name of the shoe includes the word "gel". I have another pair which are called "HydraFlow", where the liquid can be seen through clear plastic in the heel. I guess I would have to throw them away? In running circles these are popular shoes and once they have about 500 running miles on them, most folks use them as casual shoes.

Nothing.

I saw a bunch of these today (19 Aug) at Tampa airport.

BTW there were even people bringing food and water on board that was bought in the secure part of the terminal.

The shoes are supposedly allowed. But the TSA screener, apparently, can ban items at his discretion if he thinks they're dangerous.

From the TSA site:

"Gel shoe inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened. Read more on our shoe screening policy."

Yep. Keep in mind that they allow any screener to make any decision.

They've banned goldfish, made crippled grannies walk get out the wheelchair and through the gate, and as somebody said, made you check your laptop so their buddies the baggage handlers have a steady source of income.

Of course, none of this can be verified for reasons of national security.

I saw one of them take 2 jars of baby food away from a woman with child-in-arms the other day. At 4:30 PM, so they were on a flight crossing dinner time. Baby food is explicitly on the list of permitted items.

From TSA:
"Canned, jarred, or processed baby food is permitted in your carry-on baggage and aboard your plane."

I'm glad I wasn't on THAT flight.

Back