TSA Acceptable ID Question...

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
Hi All,

I have a question for Scott, et al...

Can a 17 year old who is traveling alone use their high school ID (which has name/picture on it only) to get through airport security?

This link
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm
says if you are 18 or over, you have to have a government issued photo ID...

What about if you are under 18? Thoughts...?

Thanks,

Brent

We had this problem with my son before he had his driver's license. He couldn't board Amtrak without "photo ID."

But he didn't have one.

After countless phone calls we talked to someone who said a birth certificate was required to board (!).

We showed up to the platform, the train rolled up, I showed my ID, and he was waved on board.

:dunno:

Hi All,

Can a 17 year old who is traveling alone use their high school ID (which has name/picture on it only) to get through airport security?

This link

Thanks,

Brent

The problem is proving that you are under 18, eh? I would send a birth certificate along with the school ID.

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. "

I was traveling with a youth group a couple years ago and we ended up with one kid that didn't have the photo ID (did have birth certificate) and was over 18 - They ended up letting him though after giving him the wand treatment and unpacking his backpack.

should be able to go to the DMV and get just a photo ID...

or just get his drivers license...

I would send a birth certificate along with the school ID.

That's what I was thinking...Get a copy of the birth certificate, (to prove under 18) then use the high school ID for the picture....

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

B

should be able to go to the DMV and get just a photo ID...

or just get his drivers license...

Best answer yet. Every state issues "non-driver license IDs" because people with suspended licenses still have a need for it.

If you don't want him to get his DL, go get a state issued ID from the DMV (or MVD if its in the Southwest).

Does he have a passport? This would be acceptable ID for the TSA.

I try not to use my passport passport for domestic travel as I am more lokely to lose something I carry with me on a trip, so I surely understand objections to using this ID for such a mundane purpose.

Note that temporary drivers licenses, even with pictures, get the "evil eye" from TSA. I had to use a temporary DL about 6 weeks back in 3 airports. None of them were happy with the temporary driver's license. I had a passport as a backup which let me go through quickly.

Despite what the low-level ignoramuses at the airport might say, it is NOT an absolute requirement to have an ID, although they will certainly make it more of a hassle for you if you do not have one.

From the TSA itself:
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/enhance_id_requirements.shtm

There are numerous sources available on the internet for you to print and show to the airport security staff if they are not familiar with the TSA's own guidelines.

In the Gilmore v Gonzales case the US Court of Appeals held that the US and airlines were reasonable in requiring ID because there was an option for a more extensive (but still "reasonable") search for a passenger without an ID. If there were no alternative to producing an ID, it is not likely the court's ruling would be the same.

Is spending time with the TSA for "additional screening" worse than an afternoon at the DMV to get a state ID card? That's your call.

Jon

I'd get to the airport a little early. According to the TSA website:

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to go through the checkpoint or onto an airplane."

Might want to pack a (3 oz. or less) tube of lube in the carry-on. It will make the body cavity search go smoother.:D

Note that temporary drivers licenses, even with pictures, get the "evil eye" from TSA. I had to use a temporary DL about 6 weeks back in 3 airports. None of them were happy with the temporary driver's license. I had a passport as a backup which let me go through quickly.

I needed an ID for my son this summer. We went to the RMV (DMV in other states) and got him a "Massachusetts ID". He walked out with a temporary "Massachusetts ID", that had, preprinted on it, the words "Not valid for identification".

The ID card showed up the day before the trip, and his passport arrived while we were gone.

If you are under 18 you do not need an id, but if the TSA agent THINKS you are over 18 you best have one. I traveled with my 15 year old niece a few years ago and she could pass for 18. We used her birth certificate and had no problem. She could not use her school id as she attends a private school and it was thus NOT a government issued ID.

If all your friend has is a photo id from school and that school is a public school aka government run, then the id should be good enough. If it gets rejected ask for a supervisor.

Technically if you have any government issued photo id that should satisfy TSA but the reality is that it does not. I have tried to use my Department of Homeland Security issued photo ID and had some TSA agent refuse to accept it. I have had friends try to use their Illinois FOID card and had TSA turn that down. To many of the TSA government photo ID = Drivers license and nothing else.

In my case, it was supposed to be useful for ID. The DMV claimed it would pass muster with the TSA...but I had my doubts, so I brought the passport just in case.

I needed an ID for my son this summer. We went to the RMV (DMV in other states) and got him a "Massachusetts ID". He walked out with a temporary "Massachusetts ID", that had, preprinted on it, the words "Not valid for identification".

The ID card showed up the day before the trip, and his passport arrived while we were gone.

Don't you love government...give a temp ID that isn't good for anything, except maybe as a receipt to prove you paid.:rolleyes:

Thanks guys for the info....I will let this person know about everything you said and let them decide what is easiest to do.

Have a good afternoon,

B

When I first moved to Tennessee in 2007, I could not get a driver's license because I am on a temporary work status (nevermind that it's good for 5 years)...I had to get a "Certificate for Driving" which was stamped "Not valid for purposes of identification". Had to carry my passport when travelling, even domestically...what a pain...

Now I have one labeled a "Temporary Driver's License", but it's on a plastic card and everything, and works fine for ID.

I'd get to the airport a little early. According to the TSA website:

"Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to go through the checkpoint or onto an airplane."

Might want to pack a (3 oz. or less) tube of lube in the carry-on. It will make the body cavity search go smoother.:D

And those checks will require an invasive phone call to a consumer marketing and database research company - you will need to answer the questions correctly to get past Checkpoint Charlie. In one publicized case, the TSA research company asked about political affiliation and what political party the passenger was registered with. It truly is an interrogation, I gather.

Here are the ONLY IDs that the TSA finds acceptable (A school ID or library card won't cut it):
U.S. passport
U.S. passport card
DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
U.S. Military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents)
Permanent Resident Card
Border Crossing Card
DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) that meets REAL ID benchmarks (All states are currently in compliance)
A Native American Tribal Photo ID
An airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
A foreign government-issued passport
Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) card
Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)

Note that a US Government ID won't cut it, so even a DHS employee ID is not supposed to work. Likewise, they have rejected some foreign passports where the issuing country has not put anti-tamper safeguards in the document. Foreign driver licenses won't work, either.

Basically, you have to have "papers" that are approved by DHS.

Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) that meets REAL ID benchmarks (All states are currently in compliance)

From Illinois
Is this a "Real ID" Compliant Card?
The federal government has not yet issued any federal regulations for the Real ID Act. While this card contains features that we expect will be included in these future regulations, this card is not related to the Real ID Act.
When the regulations are issued, Illinois will determine if any additional changes are needed when those regulations take effect. Until then, Illinois will continue to make improvements to meet the immediate needs for technology upgrades and the challenges of ensuring card security.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/drivers_license/newdlfaq.html

It is my understanding the Ill DLs are the easiest to forge and least reliable.

Easiest is probably to get a state ID, unless you want to say that you "forgot" your ID and answer some questions about your identity....I don't think it takes long to get the state ID.

-Felix

We went traveling with my son and daughter in law. Her Driver license was expired. TSA did not noticed it. It was noticed at a bar at our location. We were paranoid about the return trip but TSA did not notice.
So Bouncers are better at looking at ID's then TSA

Thanks guys...Thought I'd post this...Didn't actually expect a response from them...:rolleyes:

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 6:18 PM, TSA-ContactCenter <TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov> wrote:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding identification (ID) requirements at airports.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires air carriers to request a valid form of ID from commercial airline ticket holders over the age of 18. While an air carrier is required to request ID, the actual presentation of ID by the passenger is not absolutely required, and there is currently no prohibition against allowing someone on an aircraft without such ID.

Security requirements issued by the TSA establish a minimum level of security required by air carriers and airports. However, air carriers and airports may exceed the minimum standards by implementing more stringent security requirements. Refusing to issue a boarding pass to a passenger without a photo ID is an example of such a difference.

In addition, TSA has the authority to limit access to the secured area of the airport to passengers who have proper travel documentation, such as a boarding pass. TSA procedure requires passengers to produce a valid ID to verify that the name on the travel document matches the ID.

To expedite the screening process, TSA suggests that passengers age 18 and older present one form of State- or Federal-issued government photo ID, or two forms of non-photo ID, one of which is issued by a State or Federal agency. There is no set list of what forms of non-photo IDs are acceptable. Passengers can present social security cards, birth certificates, or marriage licenses as long as the information on the ID corresponds with the other ID presented.

If a passenger is unwilling, unable, or has an expired ID (including passports, drivers licenses, etc.), the passenger is required to undergo additional screening before entering the boarding area. TSA will deny access to the secured area of the airport to any passenger who refuses to undergo the additional screening.

TSA currently does not require air carriers to request a valid form of ID from commercial airline ticket holders under the age of 18.

ID checks are part of the security measures TSA imposes to ensure that passengers will not endanger the flight. They are not intended to carry out other law enforcement functions, which are the purview of other agencies.

<Just 3 sentences regarding my inquiry...>

We encourage you to visit our website at www.tsa.gov for additional information about TSA. All travelers, and particularly those who travel infrequently, are encouraged to visit the section on travel tips before their trip. The website has information about prohibited and permitted items, the screening process and procedures, and guidance for special considerations that may assist in preparing for air travel.

We hope this information is helpful.

TSA Contact Center

--- Original Message ---
Received: 9/24/09 1:26:59 PM EDT
To: "TSA Contact Center" <TSA-ContactCenter@dhs.gov>
Subject: TSA Contact Us: All Other Inquiries

THIS GENERATED EMAIL HAS BEEN SENT FROM http://www.tsa.gov/contact/index.shtm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remote Client IP: 165.134.208.22
Date Time: 9/24/2009 10:53:31 AM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Brent
Email: brent@gmail.com
Brief Description of Inquiry: Acceptable ID for Under 18 YO?
Comments: TSA,

I was wondering...Would a high school ID (that has just a picture/name on it) be an acceptable form of ID to get through the checkpoint for a 17 YO traveling alone?

This link:
only refers to people 18 YO and over...

Thanks,

Brent

Despite what the low-level ignoramuses at the airport might say, it is NOT an absolute requirement to have an ID, although they will certainly make it more of a hassle for you if you do not have one.

If you really want a hassle (and a groan from the poor stroke in line behind you), point out to the pimple faced 22 year old standing on the Wall that while he may have woken up in Communist China, you did not and that papers are NOT required to travel in the United States. The screening takes longer, but if you lose your wallet you are still allowed to come home.

"Papieren, bitte."

I once (and only once) tried to use my State of Colorado-issued ID - my faculty card. It's printed, very clearly on the back, with photo on the front, that this card is issued by the State of Colorado.

United desk staff called the cops. I asked both where the list of approved IDs was available at the airport, neither could provide me with the answer. They didn't like the faculty card and said it was too easy to get. I asked both of them the last time they had to sit thru 12 hours of qualifier exams, write a many-many-many page dissertation and then defend it to get the PhD in order to get the faculty card.

On a funny(not really) side note, every time I used my AD Mil ID, I get the "special" security reatmean, i.e. "go sit over there while we pillage your belongings and treat you like the common crimianl you are." Whenever I use a civilian ID, either passport or DL, I make it through unscathed. Pathetic.

Id as she attends a private school and it was thus NOT a government issued ID.

If all your friend has is a photo id from school and that school is a public school aka government run, then the id should be good enough. If it gets rejected ask for a supervisor.

Public schools may be gov't run, as in local school districts, but their IDs are not acceptable as a "gov't issued ID".

Technically if you have any government issued photo id that should satisfy TSA but the reality is that it does not. I have tried to use my Department of Homeland Security issued photo ID and had some TSA agent refuse to accept it. I have had friends try to use their Illinois FOID card and had TSA turn that down. To many of the TSA government photo ID = Drivers license and nothing else.

I just use my Military ID, yes now it is blue and says retired. Never had it turned down.

We just applied for a passport for my daughter and received it in less than 2 weeks, and that was using the standard option rather than the expedited option.

Well, on my airliner, it is considered good form to give the pilot a gift of something drinkable and to let him pop off a few rounds from your personal sidearm... I haven't refused a passenger who meets those guidelines, yet...

OTOH, my recent cattle hauler flight to Houston was a pain in the patootie... No hassles for me, but the rest of the cattle were annoying... The woman ahead of me (it was 80 degrees) was wearing this ratty old fur coat with ten thousand pockets and she had toothpaste and numerous other liquids stashed in every pocket... The agent at the conveyor belt to the xray looked like he was getting his teeth drilled trying to deal with her... I almost felt sorry for him (almost)...

denny-o

Hi All,

This link

Thanks,

Brent

And those checks will require an invasive phone call to a consumer marketing and database research company - you will need to answer the questions correctly to get past Checkpoint Charlie. In one publicized case, the TSA research company asked about political affiliation and what political party the passenger was registered with. It truly is an interrogation, I gather.

But really how much will a consumer marking and database research company have on a 17 yr old?

I would say a birth certificate saying they are under 18 and any photo id showing the name on the ticket and birth certificate reasonably match the face in front of them should be engough to get through securtiy. A ID card issued by the state would make it much easier as the person wouldn't have to carry and possiblely loose their birth vertificate.

Last edited:
But really how much will a consumer marking and database research company have on a 17 yr old?

You would be surprised. Esp. if the 17 year old has a phone or cellphone, or a checking account, or a credit card.

All that said, technically the TSA's rules state that no id is required for folks under 18. The problem is proving it to the line dragon.

Back