Trying to pull my KX-155

Mike Schneider

Pre-Flight
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I am trying to pull my KX-155 to clean the contacts, but it won't move. I have the necessary allen wrench. Is there a "magic" number of turns with the allen wrench? There is no movement what-so-ever. Any tips would be appreciated. I am having the same luck with the #2 KX-155 (I guess that I'm doing the same thing wrong there too). Thanks. -- Mike in Tallahassee

Mike Schneider said:
I am trying to pull my KX-155 to clean the contacts, but it won't move. I have the necessary allen wrench. Is there a "magic" number of turns with the allen wrench? There is no movement what-so-ever. Any tips would be appreciated. I am having the same luck with the #2 KX-155. Thanks. -- Mike in Tallahassee

IIRC, turning the associated allen wrench rotates a threaded rod extending to the back of the radio case. If you turn the allen wrench clockwise a cog threaded onto the threaded shaft rotates clockwise out of the radio case and into a detent within the rack. Continuing to rotate the allen wrench beyond this point will draw the cog forward until pulled snug against the rack, drawing the radio case deeper into the rack and securing the case in the rack. To release the radio from the rack, turn the allen wrench counter-clockwise until the cog releases the rack and retracks back into the radio case. I don't think it is possible to turn the allen wrench too far counter- clockwise, so I would simply turn counter- clockwise until the radio releases easily out of the rack.

BTW, the above may be the description of some other make/model/brand radio. It has been awhile.

Last edited:
Ed Guthrie said:
IIRC, the turning the associated allen wrench rotates a threaded rod extending to the back of the radio case. If you turn the allen wrench clockwise a cog threaded onto the threaded shaft rotates clockwise out of the radio case and into a detent within the rack. Continuing to rotate the allen wrench beyond this point will draw the cog forward until pulled snug against the rack, drawing the radio case deeper into the rack and securing the case in the rack. To release the radio from the rack, turn the allen wrench counter-clockwise until the cog releases the rack and retracks back into the radio case. I don't think it is possible to turn the allen wrench too far clockwise, so I would simply turn clockwise until the radio releases easily out of the rack.

BTW, the above may be the description of some other make/model/brand radio. It has been awhile.

That would be "anti clockwise" to release the radio. Some times the plugs hold and the little cog has already retracted into the radio case. In those events, after a dozen full turns anticlockwise or so without the radio ejecting itself, grab it and give it a tug, if it pops out a bit and then hangs, turn some more, but most likely it will slide out.

Henning said:
That would be "anti clockwise" to release the radio.

Henning, thank you for catching the editorial error. Somehow I managed to describe it correctly the first pass but then changed "counter-clockwise" to "clockwise". I edited the original so as not to confuse more folks.

Last edited:
Back