Trying to get 3rd Class Medical - Deferred - Suspension

Irishwake83

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Irishwake83
Hey all,

I recently started flight training at my local school, and Friday (Aug 12) I had my medical exam for 3rd class.

Something I did not expect to be a problem was a suspension on my license that happened around 2002/2003. I honestly can't even remember what year it was, but either way it was for street racing which in my state (FL) means an automatic 1 year suspension.

This obviously came up and was the reason for my deferral. I was not arrested, no drugs or alcohol were involved and I have never since been arrested or had anything other than regular traffic infractions, and none in the last 10 years or so.

Anyway, he asked if I could provide any court documents on this, and obviously I didn't have any of that with me but he said to have it to him within 14 days so he could submit the deferral to the FAA.

As soon as I left I called the county tax office it happened in and she pretty much laughed when I asked if they could provide any documents regarding this. She said they don't keep anything longer than 10 years. Sooo in that event he asked me to write up details of the incident, anything I could remember, and get it back to him. I did all this on Friday, and today I confirmed that it has been submitted to the FAA.

Do you guys think this will be an issue? I've read it can take several months to get a response from the FAA, and I guess that's fine, but I'm pretty upset about the whole thing, that was a long time ago. Was almost considering halting my lessons in the event it gets declined.

Anyway, just looking for feedback.

Thanks.

I was not represented. For my court appearance I just went by myself, and said I was an idiot and haven't done it since. I did go to a driver's education program that wasn't court ordered and at a place that no longer exists, to get the points off my license. The issue the AME brought up is, there's basically no documentation that this happened, what the resolution was, or really anything.

I was not represented. For my court appearance I just went by myself, and said I was an idiot and haven't done it since. I did go to a driver's education program that wasn't court ordered and at a place that no longer exists, to get the points off my license. The issue the AME brought up is, there's basically no documentation that this happened, what the resolution was, or really anything.
Preapare a personal statement: What your drinking was like back at high school, the events and # of beers the day of the arrest, and what you habit is like currently.

You're going to need soemthing from the clerk of the court saying that no record exists;
You will need a State DMV lifetime lcense search;
If there was no BAC (of record) you will need at least a community level CADC evaluation along the lines of DSM 4 (hard to fine, we're on DSM 5 currently).

The STRONGEST position you can take is that of abstinence but if you take that position, FAA twill ceratinly send you a certied letter with a demand for a urine ethylglucuronide from a commerical lab (Labcorpl Quest, AnyTestNow, etc) within 24 hours of your signature on the certified, send direclty form the test place to them.

B

Preapare a personal statement: What your drinking was like back at high school, the events and # of beers the day of the arrest, and what you habit is like currently.

You're going to need soemthing from the clerk of the court saying that no record exists;
You will need a State DMV lifetime lcense search;
If there was no BAC (of record) you will need at least a community level CADC evaluation along the lines of DSM 4 (hard to fine, we're on DSM 5 currently).

The STRONGEST position you can take is that of abstinence but if you take that position, FAA twill ceratinly send you a certied letter with a demand for a urine ethylglucuronide from a commerical lab (Labcorpl Quest, AnyTestNow, etc) within 24 hours of your signature on the certified, send direclty form the test place to them.

B

There was no alcohol involved, or drugs, or arrest. I submitted a personal statement to the AME before it was initially sent to the FAA, and it included a clearance letter from the DMV showing no issues on my license and that it is in good standing.

You think they'll come back and request a lifetime search or is that only for incidents involving alcohol?

In my state the DMV only carries records for 3 years unless it is a major offense such as DUI or negligence causing serious injury/death; in those cases it is on record for life. I asked for a 10 year record as per FAA request but the clerk stated that none existed past 3 years short of the former mentioned offenses. I had the state send a letter verifying no serious/alcohol or drug related violations and a clean record.

Did you contact the court for records? They might not have anything on a 20-year-old offense other than the charge and disposition, but that should be enough.

You need a letter from the police department that issued you the citation which states records are destroyed after X years, there aren't any records of the requested event.

You need a letter from the police department that issued you the citation which states records are destroyed after X years, there aren't any records of the requested event.
I think you’ll need the FBI search. FAAs Psychiatry is about all behaviors…and I read you first post, poorly. If that is the ONLY THING and you can substantiate it you’ll likely get a letter of warning and a full issuance.

Last edited:
Did you contact the court for records? They might not have anything on a 20-year-old offense other than the charge and disposition, but that should be enough.

I contacted the DMV, who referred me to the county tax records office who had nothing except a clearance letter so that's what I sent to the AME. HOWEVER, today I contacted the actual county clerk of courts (thanks to your post) and was able to get both the record of the offense and the clearance letter. Kinda annoyed the DMV and/or tax office couldn't have told me that...

So, I contacted the AME's office and she said at this point, since it's already been transmitted, I'll have to wait and see what the FAA requests when they get back to me.

I suspect you'll get your medical certificate with a "go forth and sin no more" letter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back