Trying to come up with dinner idea- interesting find

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa from Food Network) always has some interesting ideas. I’m flipping through one of her cookbooks right now, thanks to our local public library.

I got to wondering about her formal training so I used the Google. According to her bio, she got her private pilot certificate. I looked her up on the FAA database, and sure enough: 8/24/1970 PP-ASEL. 22 years old at the time. Good for her!

Last edited:
Interesting. I take it there has been no certificate action since 1970?

Interesting. I take it there has been no certificate action since 1970?
I take it she found out she could be more successful as a television chef, than she would be as a private pilot. ;)

I take it she found out she could be more successful as a television chef, than she would be as a private pilot. ;)

From the timeline on her Wiki page, she got married at 20, her husband was a LT in the 82nd Airborne for several years during the Viet Nam war. That's when she got her PP (at 22), while at Ft Bragg.

We'll recall that Alton Brown is also a pilot. I wonder how many other chefs also fly?

She used to write nuclear energy development policy for government I think back when that was an expanding industry.

One of my lifelong friend's dad ran the flying club at Bragg then. They had a KILLER inventory of planes...

From the timeline on her Wiki page, she got married at 20, her husband was a LT in the 82nd Airborne for several years during the Viet Nam war. That's when she got her PP (at 22), while at Ft Bragg.

When I was in high school, the neighbor next door to us was one of the base physicians. His wife got her PPL through the base flying club, and she went on to get her commercial, and then became an airline pilot when they returned to the States. From there, she got a job with the FAA, and eventually became some high ranking regional director.

Alton seems to have hung it up. Haven’t seen why.

I suspect he's got such a large part of Food Network that their insurance company has said "none of those dangerous small planes or we won't insure your production". He really seemed to like it and I suspect will be back but it's not an uncommon thing to happen to TV/film stars.

I suspect he's got such a large part of Food Network that their insurance company has said "none of those dangerous small planes or we won't insure your production". He really seemed to like it and I suspect will be back but it's not an uncommon thing to happen to TV/film stars.

I figured the same thing. He travels on bizjets these days I hear.

Alton has been on YouTube over the Current Unpleasantness with a couple of series - Quarantine Quitchen with his wife and Pantry Raid where he makes something from pantry staples. Pantry Raid seems to have faded out, but QQ is still going strong.

I suspect the major reason that you haven't seen him recently is that like many of us, he has been self isolating. He's not a spring chicken anymore.

Alton has been on YouTube over the Current Unpleasantness with a couple of series - Quarantine Quitchen with his wife and Pantry Raid where he makes something from pantry staples. Pantry Raid seems to have faded out, but QQ is still going strong.

I suspect the major reason that you haven't seen him recently is that like many of us, he has been self isolating. He's not a spring chicken anymore.

He finished shooting episodes of some other stuff near the beginning. He’s traveling as needed.

Not sure anybody said he wasn’t around.

I said he’s not flying himself anymore when he does travel. Totally unrelated things.

What makes you say that?

He was actively involved in promotion when he was flying. Both of a particular school and via AOPA. He hasn’t posted anything about it in a few years.

Heard thru other sources he sold the brand new 206 off but can’t confirm that part.

Either way, if he’s still flying he’s stopped mentioning it altogether.

What makes you say that?

Unfortunately he made some comments on Twitter in early Nov that I'm sure were born out of election frustration and an attempt at contextual humor but were pretty insensitive about the holocaust.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/alton-...es-for-joking-holocaust-reference-1234613374/

I see on my DVR recordings of Good Eats that the show has been replaced with something else. Alas, in today's misguided "cancel culture" where the masses of social media is judge, jury and executioner to people's livelihoods this may be the end of his career. I certainly hope not.

He was actively involved in promotion when he was flying. Both of a particular school and via AOPA. He hasn’t posted anything about it in a few years.

Heard thru other sources he sold the brand new 206 off but can’t confirm that part.

Either way, if he’s still flying he’s stopped mentioning it altogether.

I did see a tweet, but I think it was in '19 about signing up for paws and pups or or one of those organizations to transport animals.

I see on my DVR recordings of Good Eats that the show has been replaced with something else. Alas, in today's misguided "cancel culture" where the masses of social media is judge, jury and executioner to people's livelihoods this may be the end of his career. I certainly hope not.

He had a reboot of Good Eats with a different network/publisher/intellectual property owner/something convoluted.

There’s been battles over who “owns” most of his brands for over a decade.

Shades of Lagosse — who also had similar nuttiness. And is now embroiled in some scam/problems paying bills.

But AB stayed with Food Network for the most part whereas Emiril bailed long ago.

The food-chef-turned-TV-star biz is rough.

I see Wolfgang was able to use the pandemic to start his escape plan. Sold / closed multiple restaurants.

I doubt AB is going anywhere. But like you say, who knows. The ban hammer is everywhere. LOL.

I’d eat it if he was cookin’. Ha.

Guy Fieri ruined one of my favorite hole in the wall bar and grill restaurants. After he featured it in one of his dives and dumpsters shows, it immediately became an overcrowded mess. Good for the owners I guess.

He started a couple of restaurants here locally, one called Johnny Garlics. It lasted about ten years or so. I thought it was sort of mediocre.

I love Alton Brown. Good Eats was the best cooking show there ever was. Hope he makes a soft landing.

I love Alton Brown. Good Eats was the best cooking show there ever was. Hope he makes a soft landing.

The reboot has been good too. But harder to get due to lawyers and modern streaming and content contracts.

I kinda miss the days before “cord cutting”. One source, a TiVo, and we all had no idea how simple and convenient it was.

Of course now we have “a la carte” content and it’ll cost the same in the end, or more, and constant “this content is unavailable because it’s contract renewal time and all the lawyers need bigger houses this year” crapola.

Not to mention figuring out ten streaming bills and managing all that every month. LOL

Back