trying to add printer

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
:mad:B) Just took the laptop to get the USB ports back up and working and It comes back and now it can't find the Dell printer hooked up to my desk top via wireless .

I went to the control panel and clicked on add a printer then browse and I get "microsoft network" but no computer. Any way I can make the dang laptop find the dell printer attached to my desk top?

Ask Kent! He's still there! :)

What OS on the laptop & desktop?

Last edited:
Adam, check your laptop network settings and make sure you're in the same workgroup as the desktop, and see if you can map a drive to the desktop. Make sure that your network settings didn't get altered when you had the laptop repaired.

Sometimes it can take several minutes for the laptop to be able to browse the network.

Adam, check your laptop network settings and make sure you're in the same workgroup as the desktop, and see if you can map a drive to the desktop. Make sure that your network settings didn't get altered when you had the laptop repaired.

Sometimes it can take several minutes for the laptop to be able to browse the network.

:confused: It did take a while to browse. Uh how do I check the network settings? how do I map the drive?

I had the same problem a few years ago. I stumbled into the fix: Turn off the Windows firewall, connect to the printer, turn firewall back on. It has been working fine ever since.

I hope this works for you, too.

-Skip

Can you access the desktop itself in My Network Places or Workgroup Computers?

Rich

Ask Kent! He's still there! :)

Oh, but you know what I'll say...

attachment.php

Attachments

• ithinkbig.jpg
    ithinkbig.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 33
Oh, but you know what I'll say...

attachment.php

Watch it, Sharley. Network access is tons more reliable, but not flawless on a Mac. I keep getting the "there is no cure except restart" [Alias is corrupt. Fix (endless loop), Cancel] error. It's not just SMB networking that does it.

I bought a 1TB Time Capsule and I got the error three times when mapping to it in the first two weeks I've owned it.

I gotta research the command line fix for that. I'm sure there is one.

Back