Try breakfast at Rome, Or.

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
Before we left on our vacation I made a flight with some friends south from S49 over the Owyhee country. We went down over the Owyhee Dam, Pelican Point, up Leslie Gulch, over Jordan Craters, and landed on the dirt strip at Rome for breakfast. They serve a great breakfast. It isn't a fancy place, there are a few tears in the seat covers, but the food is good. It sounds impressive to tell folks that we flew into Rome for brunch. Anyways it was a great flight enjoyed by all. Rome is on highway 95 between Jordan Valley and Burns Jct. on the map.

Bob Bement said:
Before we left on our vacation I made a flight with some friends south from S49 over the Owyhee country. We went down over the Owyhee Dam, Pelican Point, up Leslie Gulch, over Jordan Craters, and landed on the dirt strip at Rome for breakfast. They serve a great breakfast. It isn't a fancy place, there are a few tears in the seat covers, but the food is good. It sounds impressive to tell folks that we flew into Rome for brunch. Anyways it was a great flight enjoyed by all. Rome is on highway 95 between Jordan Valley and Burns Jct. on the map.

Bob,

There's a restaurant? At the field? I drove past there about a year and a half ago, on my way from Boise, ID to Santa Clara, CA.

After seeing signs like "Next Gas 55 miles" and then nothing but free-range cattle (That's right folks, no fences... More cows than cars to watch for!) for the longest time, all of a sudden there was a VOR in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I could see the runway from the road (it's on the other side). Don't recall any buildings.

Also, IIRC, the Rome airport is quite a ways away from the city of Rome, OR? Like a few dozen miles.

Attachments

• DSCN1123.jpg
    DSCN1123.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 10
flyingcheesehead said:
Bob,

There's a restaurant? At the field? I drove past there about a year and a half ago, on my way from Boise, ID to Santa Clara, CA.

After seeing signs like "Next Gas 55 miles" and then nothing but free-range cattle (That's right folks, no fences... More cows than cars to watch for!) for the longest time, all of a sudden there was a VOR in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I could see the runway from the road (it's on the other side). Don't recall any buildings.

Also, IIRC, the Rome airport is quite a ways away from the city of Rome, OR? Like a few dozen miles.

The VOR is the not where the cafe is located. The cafe is where the service station is . When you come down the winding highway and cross the Owhee River. The strip I was talking about is behind the service station. There is a runway by the VOR it is an old WWII high altitude training strip. I think for bombers. B 17 and 24s. The VOR is south of Burns Jct a few miles and the strip I am talking about is east of Burns jct. Bob

Bob:

I go chukkar hunting out in Rome. Since the cafe strip gets a bit sloppy after a (rare) rain, I have considered landing at the BLM strip right at Burns Junction. Do you happen to know the status of that strip?

It seems like the BLM is very protective of their strips; however, that one is really nice (gravel?), looks really long (I go in heavy with a couple of guys and all of the gear), and has a crosswind runway. Just wondering if you have any experience with that particular strip at the junction.

I do worry about leaving the plane there in the middle of nowhere. I can just imagine coming back to a plane with bullet holes in it!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris206 said:
Bob:

I go chukkar hunting out in Rome. Since the cafe strip gets a bit sloppy after a (rare) rain, I have considered landing at the BLM strip right at Burns Junction. Do you happen to know the status of that strip?

It seems like the BLM is very protective of their strips; however, that one is really nice (gravel?), looks really long (I go in heavy with a couple of guys and all of the gear), and has a crosswind runway. Just wondering if you have any experience with that particular strip at the junction.

I do worry about leaving the plane there in the middle of nowhere. I can just imagine coming back to a plane with bullet holes in it!

Thanks,

Chris, Yes I have landed there as well as on the highway at the Rome by the River strip ( the runway was flooded by a thunder storm and I had flown a plumber down to fix a pump for a rancher ) The BLM strip is great and I wouldn't worry about bullet holes. Just park it next to the BLM Fire Building and it will be ok. The BLM boys usually keep the strip in good shape. I flew a family of three down one eveing to surprise their son wwho was working down there. We had supperfor the boys, Ribs Corn on the cobb and the works. The runway was fine. It is long as you mentioned andfine gravel. It is better that the one at the station.

Bob:

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the input. I did notice that building on the BLM strip.

I have eyed that highway at Rome Station myself. I've got to say that it looks like the best choice of all. We met the guy who lives in the lone house just west of the station (200 yards). He said quite a few guys take off on the highway; however, most land on the strip. I made sure to buy him a beer as insurance in case I put it down there and just make a quick turn into the tie down area.

Chris

Bob Bement said:
The VOR is the not where the cafe is located. The cafe is where the service station is . When you come down the winding highway and cross the Owhee River. The strip I was talking about is behind the service station. There is a runway by the VOR it is an old WWII high altitude training strip. I think for bombers. B 17 and 24s. The VOR is south of Burns Jct a few miles and the strip I am talking about is east of Burns jct. Bob

Ah, so on US 95 I wouldn't have passed it anyway, right? I remember going down a windy section of road and across a small bridge where there were some buildings and a sign that said "Congestion Ahead" :rofl: but I thought that was a ways south of the VOR.

That must be some great flying out there! :yes: Someday, I think I will retire in that area.

flyingcheesehead said:
Ah, so on US 95 I wouldn't have passed it anyway, right? I remember going down a windy section of road and across a small bridge where there were some buildings and a sign that said "Congestion Ahead" :rofl: but I thought that was a ways south of the VOR.

That must be some great flying out there! :yes: Someday, I think I will retire in that area.

Kent, That would be great if you would retire or move out here. If you come out for another visit get a hold of me and I will give you a little tour. It doesn't take much to get me to go flying. Bob

Bob Bement said:
Kent, That would be great if you would retire or move out here. If you come out for another visit get a hold of me and I will give you a little tour. It doesn't take much to get me to go flying. Bob

Bob,

Will do. I don't get out your way much - Closest I've been was the Jan. 05 trip, where I had one drop in Boise and another in Santa Clara, CA. Since then, I've had one trip to Spokane, one to Portland and one to Vancouver. Met up with Don McGilvray in Spokane, rented a Twin Comanche from HIO when I went to Portland, and did... Well, absolutely nothing aviation-related this last time! :( Part of that is that I didn't yet have my flight bag in the new truck.

I'll have to tell them that next time I want to spend an extra day or two out there. Usually it's run run run, and run out of available hours when I get back to WI. :eek: I'd much rather take a 34-hour "reset" out there. I'll let you know next time I head that way! :yes: :)

I will look forward to it. We have some great flying in this part of the country. We are wide open and not many TFRs. It only takes 40 minutes and we are in the back country of Idaho. Some of the countries last wilderness. Let me know when your comming and I will plan something. Maybe breakfast at Sulfur Creek or Big Creek they are both great destinations. Bob

Back