TruTrak Vizion Making Headway!

ircphoenix

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ircphoenix
Received this email today. No mention on pricing yet. :

"Hey everyone, Andrew here…

Things are really moving forward at a wonderful pace! On Feb 28th, we submitted the last of our install kit STC documents for the 172F through 172R and 177. The next day, we had a facility visit / familiarization with the OKC MIDO and a couple of people from headquarters in DC. The outcome of this visit was great and we feel really good about our position on getting the facility approval. TruTrak is an already an ISO 9001 facility, so we are quite familiar with much of the requirements for getting our facility PMAd.

Now for the part you are really waiting for! When can you buy parts for your aircraft?!
We will be taking about 25 sets of the 172F - 172R installation kits to Sun N Fun. These kits will contain complete mounting brackets, AN hardware, and even the wiring harness! If more that 25 of you / your friends will be at Sun N Fun and want to pickup a kit, please let us know very soon so we can plan to take extras with us. We will have 75 additional kits back at the factory in Arkansas, so if you don’t make it to Sun N Fun, you are not out of luck. Just give us a call and we will get your kit shipped out. If you don’t have an F – R model 172, no worries, the roll portion will work and we will have the pitch part coming very soon.

We are also planning to take about 10-15 of the 177 install kits to Sun N Fun. We will have additional kits for the 177 back at the factory as well, so we can drop ship those out just like the 172 kits. If you know of someone not on that list, that is interested, please have them contact us. We want to be able to get you parts as quickly as possible!

Our 172 will be in the EAA booth at Sun N Fun, and we will try to keep it staffed as much as possible. If you happen by the aircraft and we aren’t there, then we will be inside at booth A-93…that’s just inside the doors by the Bose tent. We will have the airplane open and you will be able to check out the installation and chat with us about the autopilot.

After Sun N Fun is over we will immediately begin working on the next types / models. We REALLY need names on the list to determine what we tackle next. If you know of anyone that isn’t on the list, have them give us a shout and get on the list! We will also have the ability to add new people to the list at Sun N Fun.

We are working on some AWESOME new safety features that the world has never seen, and they will be in the Vizion when it is approved by AirVenture. Those are top secret, but trust me, you will LOVE what we are doing to this already great autopilot!

Thanks for your interest in TruTrak and we can’t wait to see in Lakeland or Oshkosh.

I am sure that I have left something important out of this email, but never fear, we will be sending out more updates soon. I expect that there will be at least one more update before Sun N Fun…Stay tuned!"

If you want to get on the interest list, go here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...yNJ8MNvNnc8XKM7aX-Ut4vl-hY3w/viewform?c=0&w=1

yep recent email shows autopilot and STC for $5k then $2k for install kit, then they are figuring 20 hours for install. $10k is still better than $20k.

I will definitely get this for my arrow if they make it available for the PA28! Can't wait to see what comes.

I will definitely get this for my arrow if they make it available for the PA28! Can't wait to see what comes.
I'll likely be very gray before they get around to Sundowners/Sierra's.

P28 series is right around the corner they say. Get on their mailing list and you will get updates.

yep recent email shows autopilot and STC for $5k then $2k for install kit, then they are figuring 20 hours for install. $10k is still better than $20k.
I don't know about that. 10k is a third of the value of some of our planes. There's a certain price point that is reached that makes any higher price irrelevant.

10k for my airplane might as well be 50.

I don't know about that. 10k is a third of the value of some of our planes. There's a certain price point that is reached that makes any higher price irrelevant.

For partnerships like mine though, where we've got a 70k 182P with a garbage original autopilot (that can't even hold a track), 10k for a modern AP is a godsend.

Shoot...there goes the value of the STEC55X in my Archer :(

Can you buy your airplane model with similar AP for $40,000?

For partnerships like mine though, where we've got a 70k 182P with a garbage original autopilot (that can't even hold a track), 10k for a modern AP is a godsend.
Our club is also watching this... We have a Chelton digital autopilot that does it's job for tracking laterally, but often altitude hold results in significant sawing of the trim wheel, especially at lower altitudes. We have done extensive asking around to find someone who can service the unit (including the place in Tulsa) with no luck. Even STEC admits to it being an orphan. So if our unit dies, we're gonna want a replacement. As someone said, 10 AMU's is better than 20.

I agree, I will likely not partake in it. While its way cheaper than any other version it is still a third of what I paid for my 180. Now If I knew I would keep my plane forever I wouldn't hesitate as I frequently fly IMC. But I am capable of hand flying in IMC so Ill continue without an AP especially since Im jumping to the ADS-b mandate this year.

And here's another reason why I like my experimental RV-8; I bought a used Vizion 385 (2 servos) for $1500. Wiring harness $250. Mount brackets, $150. Doing the installation now by myself... lotta work, but I'm in for under 2 grand. Sweet!

And here's another reason why I like my experimental RV-8; I bought a used Vizion 385 (2 servos) for $1500. Wiring harness $250. Mount brackets, $150. Doing the installation now by myself... lotta work, but I'm in for under 2 grand. Sweet!

Yep experimental does have its advantage that's for sure!! I think I've waited to late to get into experimentals though. They are catching on and the prices of completed airframes are going up and up. I don't have the patience or time to build. Id like to but I don't see my personality following through with it. But dang experimental avionics are where its at! Though Id still need a certified GPS which is $$$$$.

We love our TT AP in our RV-10. Not one glitch in over 5 yrs since new.

Back