TruTrak firmware is ready!

That's what the placard says........

It’s placarded for 700. That don't mean it won't fly past 700 on the autopilot. The TruTrak will bring it right down to the touchdown zone like its on rails.....if you violate the placard that is :)

The BK/TruTrak AFMS on the internet still says: "This autopilot has not been evaluated by the FAA to meet the certification requirements for coupled instrument procedures, including coupled approaches. Therefore, these types of procedures are not authorized without further evaluation and approval." Maybe BK has a newer version now than the 4/1/2019 version on their site though.

Good evening, @Deelee -- do you have the specific settings that enabled the GPSS pass through from the Aspen to the TT? Finished an install today...IFD540, Aspen E5, TT....and sure enough the shop was adamant that the GPSS on the Aspen would be greyed out...which definitely is not correct. Any insight you have on this would be helpful. Thank you!

Hi @Kevin B , unfortunately no. I used lots of the amazing advice from @Lynn Dixon , but could never get it to work. I called Aspen and TruTrak (Bendix) several times. Each time they told me the system was working the way is it supposed to work. Here is the lousy part - if you have an older AP that can't take a digital input and requires an ACU (analog conversion unit?), then you can get it to work. Or if you can work some kind of settings-fu like Lynn did, maybe it will work by tricking the system into thinking there is an ACU. I was never able to get the secret sauce recipe right to make that happen.

Honestly, I don't miss it now. Once you get your procedure down for flipping from GPSS coupled directly to the navigator (in our case a 430w), you should be ok. Here is my general process:

Prior to takeoff, while setting up the avionics, I pre-select the altitude on the TT (maybe the alt on the SID or one you usually get from ATC or, if VFR, one that you want to initially climb to)
I program the GPS and get that all set up
Don't forget to sync up the altitude on the TT if you don't have it connected to the aspen via the switch your avionics guy probably installed.
Flip the switch to couple the TT to the GPS
After takeoff, I usually climb out about 800 to 1000' or so then start to turn on the GPS track manually. Then I push the knob to engage the TT....
(climb up, TT handles flying the track... now you are at cruise alt and flying the GPS track)
When you start getting vectors from ATC, first make sure the Aspen right knob is in hdg mode and hold it in for a few secs to sync HDG to current HDG (I actually sync my heading bug frequently... force of habit)
Flip the switch to couple TT to Aspen
Push the mode button to make sure TT is in Aspen mode.
Bug new HDG

Takes about two seconds to go through all of that button-ology, but eventually it becomes pretty natural.

I will say one thing - we had never tried to shoot an ILS approach or track a VOR with the 430 coupled to the aspen - only GPS RNAV stuff.... well on Saturday we tried... and stuff wasn't working right. When sequencing to vloc on the GPS, we were unable to get the Aspen to switch over. The VOR1 text had a red bar through in at the bottom of the Aspen HSI and we were getting no loc or GS guidance on the EFD. Obviously this was a practice approach in CAVOK VMC, so no problem (one mission of the flight was to test this out).

But, point is, I need to go back in to the Aspen settings to figure out what is not set right. My hunch is the person who sold us the plane incorrectly reset something while we were messing with settings trying to get the GPSS to work. My hunch is that Aspen config page NAV Setup A needs to show configuration B... And I bet ours shows something else.... I know for a fact based on a screenshot I took a while ago that our NAV Setup B page was showing GPS1 as the setting for the 429 IN PORT 2. Which made no sense to me at the time since I would have imagined that the second nav input to the Aspen would be VLOC1...

Anyway, I am going to go out and look at these settings again some time this week. Maybe tonight if I can get out of my house early enough after virtual work.

Hi @Kevin B , unfortunately no. I used lots of the amazing advice from @Lynn Dixon , but could never get it to work. I called Aspen and TruTrak (Bendix) several times. Each time they told me the system was working the way is it supposed to work. Here is the lousy part - if you have an older AP that can't take a digital input and requires an ACU (analog conversion unit?), then you can get it to work. Or if you can work some kind of settings-fu like Lynn did, maybe it will work by tricking the system into thinking there is an ACU. I was never able to get the secret sauce recipe right to make that happen.

Honestly, I don't miss it now. Once you get your procedure down for flipping from GPSS coupled directly to the navigator (in our case a 430w), you should be ok. Here is my general process:

Prior to takeoff, while setting up the avionics, I pre-select the altitude on the TT (maybe the alt on the SID or one you usually get from ATC or, if VFR, one that you want to initially climb to)
I program the GPS and get that all set up
Don't forget to sync up the altitude on the TT if you don't have it connected to the aspen via the switch your avionics guy probably installed.
Flip the switch to couple the TT to the GPS
After takeoff, I usually climb out about 800 to 1000' or so then start to turn on the GPS track manually. Then I push the knob to engage the TT....
(climb up, TT handles flying the track... now you are at cruise alt and flying the GPS track)
When you start getting vectors from ATC, first make sure the Aspen right knob is in hdg mode and hold it in for a few secs to sync HDG to current HDG (I actually sync my heading bug frequently... force of habit)
Flip the switch to couple TT to Aspen
Push the mode button to make sure TT is in Aspen mode.
Bug new HDG

Takes about two seconds to go through all of that button-ology, but eventually it becomes pretty natural.

I will say one thing - we had never tried to shoot an ILS approach or track a VOR with the 430 coupled to the aspen - only GPS RNAV stuff.... well on Saturday we tried... and stuff wasn't working right. When sequencing to vloc on the GPS, we were unable to get the Aspen to switch over. The VOR1 text had a red bar through in at the bottom of the Aspen HSI and we were getting no loc or GS guidance on the EFD. Obviously this was a practice approach in CAVOK VMC, so no problem (one mission of the flight was to test this out).

But, point is, I need to go back in to the Aspen settings to figure out what is not set right. My hunch is the person who sold us the plane incorrectly reset something while we were messing with settings trying to get the GPSS to work. My hunch is that Aspen config page NAV Setup A needs to show configuration B... And I bet ours shows something else.... I know for a fact based on a screenshot I took a while ago that our NAV Setup B page was showing GPS1 as the setting for the 429 IN PORT 2. Which made no sense to me at the time since I would have imagined that the second nav input to the Aspen would be VLOC1...

Anyway, I am going to go out and look at these settings again some time this week. Maybe tonight if I can get out of my house early enough after virtual work.

@Deelee Thank you for the response and insight...just starting the process now of learning to fly with the new setup. I did make a small change this AM based on the previous posts...primarily changing the Nav Setup to "B". I mapped out the wiring requirements from the Aspen install manual and essentially "A" and "B" are the same except for the Aspen thinking it is sending the AP steering commands to an ACU. The "A" profile likely not correct as it assumes a "Tracker" AP integrated with a GPS. If you do make this change...all the rest of the pages and lines seem to flow correctly from there. Do not know if this will help you at all, but my GPS1 is listed as the 1st nav input and VLOC as #2.

I do believe it is all about learning to fly the setup you have and getting a flow down...with that said having the straight baro passthrough constantly happening helps a little, but being able to reduce button pushes when transitioning from heading guidance to GPSS (and vice versa) will be nice.

Out of curiosity...where are you based at...saw your map includes the SE...we are in central GA.

Hi @Kevin B
I'm based in Manassas VA (near DC). Wish we were closer so we could compare notes in person...

this is very interesting.... do you have an ACU connected to your Aspen? If not, can I ask why use config B to trick the Aspen into thinking there is one between it and the AP/GPS? Check out page 106 and 107 in the Aspen install manual for the wiring diagrams. I'm pretty sure I don't have an ACU, so A would be correct... should I try setting to B even without the ACU? I need to verify if mine is set to A or B.

The answer to this question may be the secret sauce in getting the Aspen to enable the GPSS steering, by the way. In Lynn Dixon's screenshots, VLOC1 + ACU is selected for the second nav input (429 IN Port 2). And then 429 OUT PORT shows GPS + ACU.... not sure, but this may be the magic solution.

In any case, yeah, I think somebody screwed up and set GPS1 to the 429 IN Port 2, so I am going to switch that back to VLOC1 or maybe VLOC1 + ACU and see if that solves my VOR/LOC/GS issue. And, based on your input, I may try to set for config B even though I don't have an ACU.

Hi @Kevin B
I'm based in Manassas VA (near DC). Wish we were closer so we could compare notes in person...

this is very interesting.... do you have an ACU connected to your Aspen? If not, can I ask why use config B to trick the Aspen into thinking there is one between it and the AP/GPS? Check out page 106 and 107 in the Aspen install manual for the wiring diagrams. I'm pretty sure I don't have an ACU, so A would be correct... should I try setting to B even without the ACU? I need to verify if mine is set to A or B.

The answer to this question may be the secret sauce in getting the Aspen to enable the GPSS steering, by the way. In Lynn Dixon's screenshots, VLOC1 + ACU is selected for the second nav input (429 IN Port 2). And then 429 OUT PORT shows GPS + ACU.... not sure, but this may be the magic solution.

In any case, yeah, I think somebody screwed up and set GPS1 to the 429 IN Port 2, so I am going to switch that back to VLOC1 or maybe VLOC1 + ACU and see if that solves my VOR/LOC/GS issue. And, based on your input, I may try to set for config B even though I don't have an ACU.

No ACU...and systems were selected based on the direct 429 connection...so it seems that there is just a missing link in the Aspen docs. If you look through all the configs and permutations there just isn’t one that seems to match the TT integration. Also...if an ACU were installed with a B config and TT...the wiring would be the same except a “jumpered” through the ACU.

More to come as I also work out the testing and tweaks.

Once upon a time flew out of HEF and lived in a bunch of places around northern VA.

I like flying out of HEF. It's a busy class D and in the SFRA, but the controllers are good and it is in a good location close enough to my house.

Interesting. I am going to see if we have config B selected then. Sounds like it should be selected even though we don't have the ACU either (all digital components).

Check out post 31 and this tip:
setup page 9 of 28: 429 IN PORT 2. It was set for VLOC1, but we changed it to VLOC1+ACU. <---- THIS is the setting that I think tricks the Aspen into thinking its connected to an ACU and enabling the GPSS button. Make sure its set on whichever 429 input you are wired to coming from your navigator. Link to that photo of my config page: https://photos.app.goo.gl/fjQsvidobEGFpDzP6

Maybe try that and see if that makes the GPSS light up? I'm going to try that either tonight or next time I am at the plane.

Thanks again! I have a suspicion that mine is not... I am going out to the plane tonight and I will check this. I also need to set that 429 IN port 2 back to VLOC. I also have a suspicion that I will have an option for VLOC + ACU.... I did not have this option before when you were helping me. But I bet that VLOC1+ACU is dependent on having config B selected in the previous page.

I wonder also if setting to config B will also solve why I don't get wind direction and speed on the Aspen (I do get OAT). I know this used to work because it is present in a video the previous owner sent before we bought this plane. I think something got fouled up when the owner was trying to get our GPSS steering option to work the day we were set to hand over the check and fly home. I think I know what settings I need to enable to get this all working now, even if GPSS doesn't light up.

Thanks again for all the help..... will keep you posted when I get back tonight.

(side note - the 430w couples to the TT nicely by itself. Have done a few XCs with it now and it works well. Flew some coupled practice RNAV approaches with it, too. Did a LPV approach and, strangely, it went to GS arm and GS Couple mode when on an LP + vertical guidance approach the other day. Flew a glide path with descent rate and everything.... was surprised by that)

@Lynn Dixon and @Kevin B huzzah! The secret sauce for getting GPSS to light up on the Aspen (for me) was: Set the GPS / NAV 1 config on page 8 to config B. That was basically it. When I made that change, on page 9, the 429 IN PORT 2 setting was already VLOC1+ACU... even though I don't have an ACU.

I made those changes and flew a test flight to a VOR and then tracked to another airport close by. I was able to just use the Aspen HDG mode on the TT, but the Aspen was feeding the 430w info to the TT with the GPSS button enabled. Seemed to do turn anticipation ok, but I have to confirm this with a few more flights. When I bugged a heading on the Aspen and pushed the GPSS button to disable, the TT immediately started turning to the HDG that I had bugged. So that all works now. Honestly, now that it is working, I'm not sure how much I will use it in this mode. To fly an LPV (or apparently an LP + V approach) coupled to the TT, I have to link the 430 and TT using the switch anyway. Who knows. I'll have to do a few test flights using only GPSS and the Aspen connected to the TT to see if the buttonology works better than my current process.

As a bonus, I fixed the problem where the winds aloft data wasn't showing up - there is a simple setting on page 16 - Wind Display. Mine was set to Disable. I set it to Enable. Voila! Wind direction and speed data displayed. Very cool.

Now..... I have another nagging issue and this one is bigger than the GPSS being grayed out... When I press the CDI button on the 430w to flip into VLOC mode to track to a VOR or fly an ILS or LOC approach, the Aspen shows VLOC1 with a red line through it. I am going to start a new thread on this because I think it is a completely separate issue. But here is a screenshot:
IMG_8598.jpg

@Lynn Dixon and @Kevin B huzzah! The secret sauce for getting GPSS to light up on the Aspen (for me) was: Set the GPS / NAV 1 config on page 8 to config B. That was basically it. When I made that change, on page 9, the 429 IN PORT 2 setting was already VLOC1+ACU... even though I don't have an ACU.

I made those changes and flew a test flight to a VOR and then tracked to another airport close by. I was able to just use the Aspen HDG mode on the TT, but the Aspen was feeding the 430w info to the TT with the GPSS button enabled. Seemed to do turn anticipation ok, but I have to confirm this with a few more flights. When I bugged a heading on the Aspen and pushed the GPSS button to disable, the TT immediately started turning to the HDG that I had bugged. So that all works now. Honestly, now that it is working, I'm not sure how much I will use it in this mode. To fly an LPV (or apparently an LP + V approach) coupled to the TT, I have to link the 430 and TT using the switch anyway. Who knows. I'll have to do a few test flights using only GPSS and the Aspen connected to the TT to see if the buttonology works better than my current process.

As a bonus, I fixed the problem where the winds aloft data wasn't showing up - there is a simple setting on page 16 - Wind Display. Mine was set to Disable. I set it to Enable. Voila! Wind direction and speed data displayed. Very cool.

Now..... I have another nagging issue and this one is bigger than the GPSS being grayed out... When I press the CDI button on the 430w to flip into VLOC mode to track to a VOR or fly an ILS or LOC approach, the Aspen shows VLOC1 with a red line through it. I am going to start a new thread on this because I think it is a completely separate issue. But here is a screenshot:
View attachment 90220

Well I'll just confirm the same thing...setting "B" worked tonight to light up GPSS on the Aspen and it all worked. From a few other forums and write ups...the GPSS pass through from the Aspen to the TT is not as crisp as the direct feed from the GPS...thinking it has something to do with having to process what the GPS wants and translate it to a heading steering command. Kinda thinking about this as a a departure/enroute setting (Aspen source), and approach setting (GPS).

Like many...now just need to find out what air data tags are being passed over from the Aspen to the IFD...and what this enables.

@Kevin B Glad it is working g for you too!

quick question - your vloc1 works right? Wonder if mine is fubar since I have the 429 in port set to vloc1+acu. Maybe it needs to be just vloc1 (without the acu) to make vloc work. What do you think? Is yours set to vloc1 or vloc1+acu? If gpss and vloc are working for you, I may try your settings. If you get a sec, check my new thread on vloc issues in this forum section.

Thinking back now, I think you are right - the gpss steering when gps is coupled to TT seemed better than when routes through Aspen. I think it is because aspen is converting to hdg data and not true gpss. So turn anticipation won’t be as good.

Gotta use it more in the air to figure out which mode is best for each phase of flight. At least we have options now.
Thanks again!

I am not sure what all air info data the Aspen E5 is sending over to the IFD540. I do know I have heading information from my Aspen on my IFD540. I'd like to know what is "avaialable" to be sent over, as I'd love for my IFD540 to be able to calculate the density altitude automatically using the air data from the Aspen.

Glad you got it figured out @Deelee I wasn't sure which one of my settings enabled the GPSS button, which is why I sent over the album with all the settings :). From my IFD540, my E5 is set to "VLOC1+ACU", and I do not get a red crossed out VLOC. If I can get free tomorrow, I'll go up and see how it tracks a VOR on and off TruTrak, and try to get a video showing what I see on the Aspen.

View attachment 90220

DeeLee, I just noticed in your photo, your Aspen is showing an airport identifier in the bottom left of the HSI. Do you have an E5? I don't think my E5 displays waypoint information like that?

Hi @Lynn Dixon , no we have an EFD 1000 Pro.

I think the next thing for me to try is to set the 429 in port 2 to just VLOC1. Otherwise it’s something in the garmin OUT settings (hopefully not that).

New user resuscitating an old thread. :cool: I think a lot more pilots/installers will run into this issue. I had a similar one with my Aspen PFD (1000 Pro) and my STEC 20. Turns out that this thread gave me the clue needed to sort this out. My shop did the install, I've been doing the debugging, so use of "I/me" in this is referring to "us".
First, I'm using a GPS175 as the navigator and GNC255 as the VLOC radio, and I used the Garmin GPS175 Install manual figure B-9 for connections, but since that is generic, I used Aspen figure 9-9A with GNAV#1 being my navigator and the GNC255 is shown connected over the 429 bus. But, Apsen told me today that this is incorrect, and the installation should be according to figure 9-10 and the radio is connected via old analog connections, using 9-15 as a rough guide (they left the GNC255 out of that figure). Note that this now changes Setup Page A to "D" and "None" from "C" and "K". There is the magic. "D" now lets me have an ACU, which the "C" from the Garmin guide does not. The tech reported that they may have an updated STC SW coming this year that will correct this and let the GNC255 use the digital bus.

Moderator: Please feel free to move/copy this post to a new thread. I thought it fit better here with the history of debugging a very similar issue.

Back