Trusted Traveller/Global Entry

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Any do this yet?

I used to have a DoJ Port Pass and loved it. Always let me get through the lines really fast everywhere but Chicago. But now Chicago has Global Entry and after a 45 minute wait in line last Friday to have my passport check I am really motivated to get this.

Got it, love it, paid for itself the first time I used it.

I am kind of afraid when the word gets out, lines at those kiosks will be about as long as the other lines. :mad: :wink2:

Agree with Greg.

I've had it a year and it's worth every penny that I paid. At DFW, it took me longer to get through TSA "security" than it took me to get off the plane, go through Passport Control, then go through Customs. I've used mine at JFK, DFW, ATL, and MIA.

If you have a Platinum AmEx card (regular platinum, not an affinity card), they will reimburse the $100 fee. If you don't, and you travel to Canada, then consider getting Nexus (at a lower fee), which gives you Global Entry for free.

For us international travelers, it's one of the best things around. Added benefit: if TSA extends their "Trusted Traveler" program beyond DFW, MIA, ATL, and DTW, Global Entry is one way to qualify for that program, too.

I'd like to know why such a program is necessary to begin with. Seriously, I really don't understand it.

I fly to Germany a few times a year. I (with my German passport) get off the plane in Frankfurt (which is a very busy airport), go straight to the passport checker, he scans my passport in 4-5 seconds, and that's it. No talking or standing in line.

In the US, I (with my US passport) often stand in line for a few minutes to 20 minutes, then go to the passport checker, answer 3-4 silly questions, and am done a minute later. Why does it take orders of magnitudes longer?

Why does it take orders of magnitudes longer?

You ever been to O'Hare when all the international flights come in at the same time? Last time I went through there, the line was as long as I have ever seen it. There were probably 20 Customs agents processing the line and it was still backed up.

You are correct, Felix, in that when there is only one flight coming in there really isn't a need, but when half a dozen OR MORE come in at the same time, that is over 1,000 people that need to be processed. It takes time to do that.

You ever been to O'Hare when all the international flights come in at the same time? Last time I went through there, the line was as long as I have ever seen it. There were probably 20 Customs agents processing the line and it was still backed up.

You are correct, Felix, in that when there is only one flight coming in there really isn't a need, but when half a dozen OR MORE come in at the same time, that is over 1,000 people that need to be processed. It takes time to do that.

I am waiting to get my passport back from State, after which I'm enrolling. 45 minutes to get through line when I arrived off of a PVG-ORD flight; it was brutal.

I'll sign up for it next year when I get a new passport. I see on United's web site that high enough Premier members will get financial assistance from United next year, as well. I'll have 75,000+ miles this year, so I'll qualify. Thanks.

Agreed Greg, but there's a difference in how they do things here compared to the EU. For example, when I landed in FRA together with tons of international flights, there still wasn't a significant line (for citizens). Part of that has to do with the fact that immigration there only takes maybe 5 seconds per person rather than much longer here - and they don't ask questions.

Agreed Greg, but there's a difference in how they do things here compared to the EU. For example, when I landed in FRA together with tons of international flights, there still wasn't a significant line (for citizens). Part of that has to do with the fact that immigration there only takes maybe 5 seconds per person rather than much longer here - and they don't ask questions.

Back before I moved down here, I used to fly back and forth quite a bit.

Going into the US was a breeze..."Going for meetings, back on Friday"

Coming back, I got grilled every time "Who do you work for? Why were you in the US? What did you do there?"

I felt like just saying "Buddy, I'm a Canadian citizen and in your hand is my valid Passport. What I was doing in the US is none of your f***ing business." But, being a sterotypical polite Canadian, I answered his annoying questions as politely, briefly and concisely as I could.

I have noticed that things move a lot smoother now that they require everyone who enters on a visa waiver (most europeans) to go online and do some sort of pre-registration. While they used to have to type in a whole lot of stuff on their terminal, information like the address in the US, length of stay, return flight etc. now this stuff is transferred from the pre-registration system.

Back