Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Four options;
TSA Precheck, Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri

TSAP is for selected airports; sounds too limited
Sentri is for ground travelers only; nope

So, GE vs Nexus. I cannot tell a difference in functionality from the chart other than Nexus includes travel into Canadja.
I am traveling across our northern border or southern border from time to time, and possibly to other countries. Usually by airline.
What aren't they telling me? Which suits me best?
Can both of them be renewed easily?

Last edited:
Add 'Clear' to that. A commercial venture that has its own little non-line at the couple of airports they cover. They have some sort of biometric scanner that identifies you and once it does you can skip to the front of the 'Pre' line.

I believe you can enroll in Global Entry and Nexus at the same time and it prints your credentials on the same card.

Add 'Clear' to that. A commercial venture that has its own little non-line at the couple of airports they cover. They have some sort of biometric scanner that identifies you and once it does you can skip to the front of the 'Pre' line.

I have Clear as well as PreCheck...it will take you to front of Pre line IF you have PreCheck...otherwise it will take you to front of the regular line. Clear in and of itself does not equal PreCheck.

I have GE. I travel internationally a number of times each year. As a side benefit it gets you TSAP, as well. Works coming home from Canada, too.

Get Global Entry. Includes SENTRI if I recall, as well as PreCheck.

I also have Global Entry. The one problem is getting a timely appointment depending on where you live. I would have had a three month wait in Denver but I managed to get an appointment only one day in advance at Newark. Although you do get TSAPre along with it, this does not apply to international airlines that do not honor TSAPre. British Airways is one of those.

Global Entry is the most inclusive program. As such it requires the most extensive background check. You'll need to provide address and employer information for the past 7 (I think) years and if you've had any 'youthful indiscretions' you'll need to provide the court documentation of the outcome. Can be a hassle if the event took place 20+ years ago.

https://www.clearme.com/

Clear is really limited. Make sure they are already in your airport of interest before you pay them. I used them before TSApre existed but haven't since.

GlobalE does not provide expedited processing into Canada per website above.
Really sounds like Nexus is most capable.
Paradoxically, it is less costly even though it "Includes Global Entry benefits".

With the Global Entry interviews: the guy at customs house told me if I needed an earlier interview to just show up and wait for a no-show. He said he has 2 or 3 every hour.

With the Global Entry interviews: the guy at customs house told me if I needed an earlier interview to just show up and wait for a no-show. He said he has 2 or 3 every hour.
That must depend on the location, and perhaps on the agent. I was told "no" when I called the Denver office.

I've only got TSAP, but my travel is 95% USA destinations. I just suffer through the lines when coming back from Canada, which hasn't been much of an issue so far. Interview took all of 10 minutes, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes a lot of it very clear.
I did not know Nexus was the Canadian version, as it is found on the dhs site.
Also, impractical to achieve Nexus if you live in the south; all offices are northern.
GE it is!

"NEXUS is more economical than Global Entry......With Nexus you get all the benefits of Global Entry and TSA PreCheck."

Four options;
TSA Precheck, Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri

TSAP is for selected airports; sounds too limited
Sentri is for ground travelers only; nope

So, GE vs Nexus. I cannot tell a difference in functionality from the chart other than Nexus includes travel into Canadja.
I am traveling across our northern border or southern border from time to time, and possibly to other countries. Usually by airline.
What aren't they telling me? Which suits me best?
Can both of them be renewed easily?

It’s acronym soup just to make it confusing.

I applied through the “Global Online Enrollment System” (GOES). I got a photo ID that says “Global Entry” on the front and also says SENTRY and Ready Lane on the back. I was also enrolled into TSA Precheck through this process.

1. Global Entry

Global Entry is for customs on international flights into the U.S.

When going through customs and immigration after returning to the US airport from a foreign country, allows you to go to an electronic kiosk where you slap you hand on a screen, rather than stand in the long customs line. It’s super fast. I always beat the luggage so, unless my luggage is delayed for some reason, I can grab and go and get to the next line in front of the crowd. You don’t need to carry your Global Entry card for this benefit. The kiosk scans your hand.

2. TSA Precheck

TSA Precheck is for domestic flights.

Allows you to go through a short security line where you don’t have to remove your shoes or take your laptop out and where the other travelers tend to be more experienced and thus more efficient. The line is often non-existent compared with the regular line. It ONLY works on domestic flights with certain domestic carriers (most of them I think, e.g. United, American, Delta, Southwest, etc.). In order to get “Precheck” printed on your boarding pass, you must put your “Known Traveler Number” (KTN) into your airline reservation information.

3. SENTRI (and READY LANE I think).

SENTRY is for returning from Mexico.

SENTRI allows an enrolled vehicle (by license plate) to use a dedicated line when crossing the border and returning to the U.S. from Mexico by car, PROVIDED you have a Global Entry card for every person in the vehicle. I assume that the dedicated lane correlates with the “Ready Lane” logo on the back of my Global Entry card.

I don’t go to Mexico very often, but my friend who goes down 2-3 times a year tells me that the dedicated lane is 15-20 minutes rather than 2-3 hours.

4. NEXUS

NEXUS is for coming from or going to Canada.

This has two-way benefits. When crossing the border and entering Canada or returning to the U.S., allows you to use dedicated lines when driving and to use a dedicated kiosk when entering the U.S. or Canada by air. The NEXUS membership can only be obtained by physically visiting one of the processing centers near the Canadian border.

You get 1, 2 and 3 by applying through the “Global Online Enrollment System.” After you are “conditionally” approved (took a couple of days for me), you need to make an appointment at a GOES enrollment center of your choosing. I had to make an appointment a few months out in the LA area.

At the appointment, they’ll do a short interview and take your picture. Later, they’ll mail you your Global Entry photo ID. You need to go back online within a limited time and activate the card (I believe this is a necessary step to use it at the Mexican border).

I don’t have NEXUS, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think you can get 1, 2, 3 and 4 by specifically incuding NEXUS and specifically making an appointment at one of the relatively few Northern enrollment centers that includes NEXUS processing. If you fly or drive to Canada on occasion, arrange an upcoming trip to give you time to conduct your appointment.

Last edited:
The Canadians have specific requirements on the criminal background check. DUIs for example are a bit of a hangup.
If you are close enough to the cdn border, nexus makes a lot of sense.

BTW. Global entry also allows you to enter other countries with less formalities.

Ha, my Business Platinum card is eligible for a full rebate on the Global Entry program. At least according to what I get from their webpage.
Except when I call, nope it only applies to cards with a $450 annual fee.
I did a search on that page for those details and cannot find it; lemme know if you see it.
Any other cards offer this??

Nexus includes Global Entry privileges. It also includes privileges both Into Canada and into the US. Global Entry only works coming into the US. Nexus, with the extra privileges is $50 while Global Entry is $100. Nexus does require visiting Canada to get iris scan done, but you should be able to do the interview in the US.

Both get you TSA pre check.

Back