Trump says: Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by FloridaPilot, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331

Problem is when you let stick and rudder get dumbed down, ofcourse you have to market it as “safety”, look at the lack of real stalls and slow flight in basic flight training now per the FAA.

Now the FAA is more than happy to keep us “safe” from some guy who got put on ADD meds way back when he was a little kid, or changing the ATP rules even though they wouldn’t have stopped the crash that caused the public outrage.

So yeah, get the automation going crazy with someone who never even stalled a 172, and used tech as their safety blanket, the outcome could be bad.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    It depends on whether the two crashes were related in any way. If they were completely unrelated, then maybe we have TWO crises. Or maybe just to tragic accidents surprisingly close together. I will be very interested in hearing the investigation results.

3. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    I agree with what you said about the pilots being partly systems managers. The airplanes are large and complex, and it's unavoidable. What I meant was, the software should never be given the opportunity to cause a condition that should not be immediately obvious as what it is. The pilot shouldn't be in the position of wondering whether the condition he/she is experiencing is caused by software or not.

4. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    You proffer that like it's a bad thing. So naturally the question is, a bad thing for who exactly? The aspirants? The "trash bag luggage" consumer? Fact is, we're all innocent in Shawshank I'm afraid. The 1500 hour rule helped improve pilot compensation, good bad, intended or unintended. Cast the first stone if you think there are professions in this world immune from "rent-seeking". Doctors (AMA) do it in the US every day and nobody bats an eye, pilots do it and it's all of a sudden blasphemy. Hypocrisy run amok.

mcdewey and RyanShort1 like this.
  5. tiger

tiger Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    tiger
    Yes, I think we mostly agree. I do think it is surprisingly tricky to integrate lots of complex systems without creating any non-obvious interactions under any inputs (obviously that's part of what the engineers are paid to do).

6. DaleB

DaleB En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    DaleB
    Sure. It's not impossible, it's just hard (and therefor expensive). That's why the companies that manufacture airliners get to charge lots and lots and lots of money for them. Nobody expects it to be cheap.

7. Chip Sylverne

Chip Sylverne En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fear is the poison of our lives.
    First, I do not believe that the engineers at Boeing or any other airframe manufacturer invest millions of $ and man hours to make changes that are of very little benefit, just for the sake of complexity.

The context of the statement doesn't help in this case.

8. Scrabo

Scrabo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scrabo
    No way on earth did he write that... it's too coherent and spelling is perfect :)

Maybe Tim Apple helped him.

9. 1RTK1

1RTK1 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ralph
    If the pilots aren't trained to know how the technology interacts with what they want the plane to do or not to do when they push buttons, you have an accident waiting to happen.

10. Tommar98

Tommar98 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tommar98
    What fake news? Trump just selling his usual “gosh darn we don’t need smart people “especially Einstein’s “rhetoric. That plays nicely to the “no science needed here” climate change debate. Nothing was out of context. That dolt wouldn’t know a flap from a rudder so talking about aviation technology and safety is just his usual scare tactic that “smart people” are dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 1RTK1

1RTK1 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ralph
    It's funny what people can pull out of a tweet....................

idahoflier and dmspilot like this.
  12. 3393RP

3393RP Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    The quote below is a succinct and well founded statement, considering the Lion Air crash was caused by aircraft logic that incorrectly took over pitch control of the plane and the pilots failed to properly respond to the situation.

Perhaps your criticism is due to the speaker, not the words.

"I want great flying professionals that are allowed to easily and quickly take control of a plane!”

13. Tommar98

Tommar98 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tommar98
    Not just from a tweet. Years of tweets and actions. Is consistent with his anti-science and anti-intellectual stance.

topcat2001 likes this.
  14. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    RyanShort1
    He owns and has flown quite a bit on a 757 likely with a personally hired crew, no? My guess is that he has a VERY well-informed opinion on this, and probably accurate.

3393RP and James331 like this.
  15. 1RTK1

1RTK1 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ralph
    Tough getting to his station in life being a dummy anti-intellectual......................

3393RP likes this.
  16. JOhnH

JOhnH Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Spun Out
    Speaking as someone that has been banned in the past, and has seen too many threads closed, I wish you would take your ******** politics elsewhere.

DaleB and Ravioli like this.
  17. pigpenracing

pigpenracing Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    pigpen
    The airplanes are not to complex to fly... All the avionic stuff is... I hate avionics. That is why my J-3 gets flown more than anything else. Simple is fun. Complex electronics suck!

18. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dmspilot
    You set up your straw man, why don't you finish it and tell us only Einstein-level scientists should be allowed to fly planes?

3393RP likes this.
  19. James331

James331 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    The 1500 rule did wonders, however it was by stupid luck through free market, not the actual text of the rules the FAA made, if that makes sense.

Think of it like two people doing a western shootout, one can’t aim, misses the bad guy, but the bullet hits the dirt causing a horse to buck, knocking a beam over and cracking the bad guy in the head. Same stuff

20. ircphoenix

ircphoenix En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ircphoenix
    As far as the source of this article... I don't want a celebrity's opinion being used to do anything substantive. Be it a Trump or a Kardashian or an Ocasio-Cortez.

I want good information that enhances safety. Not kneejerk reactions based on feelings.

topcat2001 and flyingcheesehead like this.
  21. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    That’s the bottom line, IMO...so what if there’s a new system they weren’t trained on? If it actually happened they way I’ve gathered (yeah, big “if”), the failure took the form of a trim malfunction that has a procedure. Follow the proscribed procedure, malfunction resolved.

Granted, the air data issues compounded the problem, but it still boils down to identifying a malfunction and following a published manufacturer’s procedure. Give the same pilots a trim malfunction requiring the same procedure, with or without the air data issues, in an airplane without MCAS, and I doubt the outcome would be much different.

KA550 likes this.
  22. Tommar98

Tommar98 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tommar98
    Hmmm. Not sure how I set up straw man. My point is that his comment reflects an attitude that science and intelligence (especially the “intellectual elite”) are problematic. I believe there is significant aviation based analysis about the growth of technology in the cockpit and safety issues related to that. His comment however only seeks to play to people’s perception that progress and technology (ie; things like climate change) are more intellectual hocus pocus and we need a return to the “good ole days” where fancy science isn’t driving the bus. Just my .05. My apologies for derailing this thread.

topcat2001 likes this.
  23. idahoflier

idahoflier Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    idahoflier
    Judging from what has been opined so far I think it's fair to say that some believe the tweet makes one or more valid points. I think people are losing sight that he is the POTUS, and as such has access to much more information and expert opinions than any of us. Whether or not his tweet is an uninformed opinion, who knows?

Also, keep in mind that there may be other things going on here which we don't know about. You have the EU and a lot of the world effectively grounding the 737 Max 8. Probably a political decision to help Airbus. Trump makes this tweet and the whole US media is effectively declaring he doesn't know what he's talking about and that the 737 Max 8 is safe. That has to help Boeing...

1RTK1 likes this.
  24. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dmspilot
    I don't know how you go from "Planes shouldn't be so complex that only Einstein could fly one" to "we don't need people like Einstein to exist" other than for the purpose of using the tweet as an excuse to turn the thread into a political soap box.

Half Fast, alaskazimm and 1RTK1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.